Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL Medals...

• 15-06-2006 10:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Just curious. Do players who play in any stage of the competition get CL medal winners if the team wins or do you have to be in the final squad?

Just looking at Keane stats and can't see the CL listed. I know he feels he didn't win the CL, but I was under the impression that was his personal feeling as opposed to the record books.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

They would have to take part in a few games to be awarded the medal , even if they don't play in the final they still get a medal .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Didn't Scott Carson only play one game in Liverpool's run to the CL, against Juve? I remember seeing him going up to get his medal when they won. He could have played in the qualifier games though, not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

He was on the bench for the final..all subs get medals..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

They would have to take part in a few games to be awarded the medal , even if they don't play in the final they still get a medal .

That's not the case in the CL.
    Because you name a squad of 25 players for the knockout stages, anybody in the squad gets a medal.
    That's why people like Carson who were only ever subs got medals, while Pongolle didn't, despite being key to Liverpool advancing through the group stages.

It's because they were named in the 25 for the knockout stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

PHB wrote:
    That's not the case in the CL.
    Because you name a squad of 25 players for the knockout stages, anybody in the squad gets a medal.
    That's why people like Carson who were only ever subs got medals, while Pongolle didn't, despite being key to Liverpool advancing through the group stages.

It's because they were named in the 25 for the knockout stage.

Oh i see , sorry. Thanks for clearing that up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

PHB wrote:
    Never thought of that actually, fairly harsh on Pongolle, he made a huge difference to Liverpool in the game against Olympiakos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

So officially Keane was a CL winner. Yet not on many of his career stats pages. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Never thought of that actually, fairly harsh on Pongolle, he made a huge difference to Liverpool in the game against Olympiakos.

Nor did mellor. And to think josemi got one.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

rondeco wrote:
    Nor did mellor. And to think josemi got one.........

Not to mention Troare and bloody baros.

Mellor scored V Oylmpiakos and set up Gerrard. I'd have given him a medal based on that game alone. Still have a small scar on my head from where I jumped up and hit the underside of my bed when the 3rd went in. What memories. I'd like to suggest a smilie with a single teary eye be commishioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Stekelly wrote:
    Not to mention Troare and bloody baros.

i really wish some people would go back and watch baros' contibution to the team that year, he might have been frustrating at times but he did a thankless job as the lone striker and without him liverpool wouldnt have won the thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Relatively unrelated but.....Morientes nipped into the Milan dressing room after the game, nabbed runners up medals discarded by a number of desolate Italians and gave them to Warnock, Potter and Pongolle

All that according to A Season On The Brink by Guillem Balague, great book if you're a Pool fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

el rabitos wrote:
    i really wish some people would go back and watch baros' contibution to the team that year, he might have been frustrating at times but he did a thankless job as the lone striker and without him liverpool wouldnt have won the thing

I agree. Baros was great in champs lge for us. When I commented on josemi getting a medal I was referring more to how much he contributed than how crap he is. Traore and Baros deserved the medals as much as anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

Traore deserved his medal something fierce.
    did he not have goal line clearances against both juve and milan?

Advertisement