Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panorama exposes FIFA corruption

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yes I watched it and must admit that it was a very interesting hour or so. FIFA are in it up to their necks, nice to see that the courts in Switzerland are now going to go chasing them for the bribes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

His book it top notch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I got around to watching this on tape last night. I recorded a repeat of it which BBC showed in the middle of the night. (03:50 or something).

Anyway, the gist of the programme was that FIFA officials, such as Jao Havelange, the president previous to Blatter and who led the organisation for 25 years, were getting kickbacks from companies that were awarded TV and marketing rights. Kickbacks from the business world to 'monopolies' are not a new phenomenon, especially in organisations where the decision-making is quasi-dictatorial, such as in FIFA (and for example in F1). Many of these bureaucrats have become multi-millionaires on the back of the sports they 'administer' (= leach off) and at the detriment to them.

The journalist who is taking this as a crusade, and I have to say that at times his repetitive questioning is doing him no favours whatsoever, is asking why FIFA dont reveal who the payments were going to, especially one which went to a mistaken bank account. The Swiss authorities are investigating it.

However, having lived in Switzerland myself for a time and knowing how they deal with underhand issues, the whole truth and findings, if fully investogated, will not be revealed to the media. I am sure that only past FIFA officials will get the blame and then it may be only a selection and only a small proportion of whayt went on, and any of those remaining in office, such as Blatter may be only slightly tarnihsed if at all (ie: by not having correct audit procedures in place, etc).

The positive aspect is that it hasnt affected the football sport in a major way, as in what happened in matches on the field, etc.

People in power are very corruptable. That is the world we live in, I believe that its wrong, but it wont change overnight whilst the world is a dog-eat-dog world. FIFA wont be the first nor the last to take a kickback. What usually happens, is that they get better at it.

Examples are, Charlie Haughey ...

Oh, and Roman Abramovich and Putin (maybe some of you saw RTE's Chain Reactions last night and have seen a source that paints Abramovich's wealth source as dodgy).

redspider

Advertisement