Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chemistry tricks students

Options
  • 15-06-2006 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Im pretty good at chemistry but i am worried that there are going to be really abstract questions this year. last yr a question was asked on the paper and it took me an hour to find the answer, it ended up to be in the one word in a 400 page book. any one have any thoughts on this . Also all predictions are welcome. Im hoping for water of recrystalisation, clove experiment and tests for anions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

what was last years question?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭MB44

name the series of coloured lines in the line emission spectrum of hydrogen corresponding to transitions of electrons from higher energy levels to the second energy level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

that would be the balmer or lymann series?hmm which one cnt remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

I think that it's the lymann series, right. We have paschen, lymann and balmer on our course and balmer is from high E-level to lowest. I think it is lymann.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DiscoMouse

Balmer is the only one of the three we need to know, I think.

My only issue is with the titrations- there's just so much protocol and precaution in the whole thing, I always end up leaving something out. Hoping for lots of organic chemistry!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Balmer. it's standard text ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I dont really get how thats a "trick".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

What annoys me is when the answer is colourless but they give you ZERO marks for saying clear.
    Actually that's not as bad as when the answer is milky but you can't say creamy....:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Faerie wrote:
    Actually that's not as bad as when the answer is milky but you can't say creamy....:mad:
    Yeah, for CO2's effect on limewater you can't say white or whitish. "Milky" is apparently the scientific term.

surely we know after two years to say colourless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Faerie wrote:
    What annoys me is when the answer is colourless but they give you ZERO marks for saying clear.

That's because colourless isn't the same thing as clear. Milky and creamy is what I have grievances with though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

grimloch wrote:
    That's because colourless isn't the same thing as clear.

Well it's a bit of a technicality! If you're trying to remember a colour change and you think back to when you did the experiment you might think clear. I mean I know not to say clear now, but it's still sort of irritating.
    And surely creamy and milky is the same thing? I mean cream is just the rich part of the milk!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Something could easily be blue and clear at the same time. Although it's certainly one of the easiest mistakes to make on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

also with regard to potassium permanganate it's a vibrant purple colour..not deep purple as i learned in my mock...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

also with regard to potassium permanganate it's a vibrant purple colour..not deep purple as i learned in my mock...!
    or else just say purple;) ;)
    also remember for the titrations that the ONLY two titrations where you have to find the conc before dilution are the ones with vinegar and bleach

fatal wrote:
    or else just say purple;) ;)
    also remember for the titrations that the ONLY two titrations where you have to find the conc before dilution are the ones with vinegar and bleach
    or was that deep purple and not vibrant...!

Deep Purple!! :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Faerie wrote:
    And surely creamy and milky is the same thing? I mean cream is just the rich part of the milk!!!

Apparently creamy is a texture (think ofthe galexy add) white milky is a colour or something!

d4gurl wrote:
    Deep Purple!! :d
    are you sure?!? i was going to settle for "intense purple" :D

nearly 100 percent!yeh it is

• Advertisement
Advertisement