Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Day 7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

good goal by Gerrard

dont think any of the big teams will be giving a **** though. England have been terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Stevie G!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

2-0 Honestly forgot gerrard was playing, guess hes MOTM now.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

What a hit son. yoo dont save thoooose.

For the love of god Sven, let him play as an attacking player.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

suprised he had the strength left in his legs after carrying lampard on his back for 90 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

el rabitos wrote:
    suprised he had the strength left in his legs after carrying lampard on his back for 90 mins

Thats a joke right?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Cracker from Gerrard.
    Puts an inaccurate gloss on the result. Roll on England V Ecuador

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That scoreline doesn't do Trinidad any justice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I would say probably not, how many ppor shots did lampard have, how many times was he in T&Ts box when stevie G ran the length of the pitch to break up the attacks. Lampard was awful, wasted chance after chance after chance and didn't do much defensively either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Liverpool 2 - 0 T&T :D

England very poor in the first half - I thought they were ok in the second. Performance lifted by presence of Rooney, even though he did nothing. Lennon looked good. TBH I''d drop Lampard for Lennon, throw Beckham in the centre.

England have a LOT to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

besty wrote:
    Cracker from Gerrard.
    Puts an inaccurate gloss on the result. Roll on England V Ecuador

They could still be playing Germania!

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

liverpool glasses on again. Same old ****e. Cant say anything bad about liverpool lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ill say it then, they were rubbish. Crouch and Gerrard had a TERRIBLE game. As did everyone on that team bar Beckham (hey, hes on the pitch to cross the ball well a couple of times and he did).

Aquos76 wrote:
    liverpool glasses on again. Same old ****e. Cant say anything bad about liverpool lads
    What are you talking about?

I thought some of the Liverpool lads were crap, especially Owen, and to a lesser extent Rooney :D

But seriously, lets not turn this into THAT debate. Gerrard was largely crap apart from the goal. Was Lampard better? Definetly not.

What in the name of christ are you talking about Aquos, who said anything bad about Liverpool for a start. Both scorers were liverpool players, as pointed out by Reactor, Lampard was dreadful, carragher did not give them enough going forward (but he is not a rb - liverpool player BTW Aquos, see that, he does have a flaw) and lennon was exposed alot going back, never thought I would say it but Neville was missed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Zero creativity from England.Lampard and Gerrard were dire,both trying to play long range passes with little effect.

Gerrard had a few good passes and his goal was class,on form I would drop Lampard but theres no doubt that Lampard would vastly improve if Gerrard was dropped.

Sven was out-thought tonight.The t&t manager got it spot on by closing down Lampard and Gerrard constantly when in the opposition half.

Looking forward to seeing England come up against a quality passing side like Italy,Czechs,Argies or Spain,they'll be torn to shreds.

No problem Reactor, that comment was aimed at tftf's post about stevie g and not your liverpool humour.

And since when has owen resigned for the pool?

How could you say that Lampard would improve if Gerrard was dropped ? Gerrard is playing in the DMC role, allowing lampard to get forward, if Lampard had to work back he would be half of the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did'nt see the first 30 mins (thank gawd!), Lennon looked good and it was good Rooney did'nt get stamped on. As for the rest of it, what happened to 'pass and move'. Gerrard had a poor game but until he is allowed the freedom to roam that'll be the case, still the goal was a peach and needed as a one goal lead is nothing.

Mike.

Aquos76 wrote:
    No problem Reactor, that comment was aimed at tftf's post about stevie g and not your liverpool humour.

And since when has owen resigned for the pool?
    he's from Liverpool (the city.... or at least the posh suburbs).

Hence... a liverpool lad.... ditto Rooney.

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Thats a joke right?

kdjac

did u see a ridiculous smiley face in my post?

if lampard had walked off, got on the bus and went back to the hotel, i dont think anyone would have noticed.

Gerrard had a few good passes and his goal was class,on form I would drop Lampard but theres no doubt that Lampard would vastly improve if Gerrard was dropped.

Sven was out-thought tonight.The t&t manager got it spot on by closing down Lampard and Gerrard constantly when in the opposition half.

I'll echo all that. T&T did'nt go to the world cup to win any games just to grab a few draws.

Mike.

What in the name of christ are you talking about Aquos, who said anything bad about Liverpool for a start.
    I would say probably not, how many ppor shots did lampard have, how many times was he in T&Ts box when stevie G ran the length of the pitch to break up the attacks. Lampard was awful, wasted chance after chance after chance and didn't do much defensively either.

It was aimed at you maintaining that Gerrard had a better game the Lampard. Both players were brutal if the truth is told along with the rest of the very over rated english team.

How could you say that Lampard would improve if Gerrard was dropped ? Gerrard is playing in the DMC role, allowing lampard to get forward, if Lampard had to work back he would be half of the player.
    Because Gerrard was very poor as a DMF,obviously playing with a proper DMF Lampard would improve vastly instead of being used poorly by Sven.Surely you can see that.

Anam wrote:
    Because Gerrard was very poor as a DMF,obviously playing with a proper DMF Lampard would improve vastly instead of being used poorly by Sven.Surely you can see that.

obviously lampard, not playing at all, would improve england vastly.

most unimaginative team performance i've seen so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Good to see Rooney get a decent run. England through to the next round without playing well in either match. They can only get better.

Ok, so gerrard had a poor game but got a couple of good tackles in and initiated some attacks from the DMC position. He pushed forward and scored a cracker of a goal.

Lampard did not defend, missed shot after shot after shot, initiated bugger all attacks and played better ??

I think not.

And regardless of how poor Gerrard is as a DMC, lampard strives on not having to track back, he did not track back and spent most of the game pushed on. How could him not having to tackle back, not having to do all of the running, and not putting his body on the line, have made it harder for him ?

Agreed muppet, good for england for Rooney to be back, he really shook things up and gave england a little extra with Lennondoing the same for them on the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

As john giles says there should be no need for a designated/specifice defensive centre midfielder if the 2 centre men do a proper job by being defensive/restrained when required, dynamic when required, positive/attacking when required etc,obviously one of the two centre men in any team will be slightly more defensive by nature/ability but both should be capable of being a "total central midfielder",gerrard and lampard are far from being complete central midfielders and both are more akin to forwards that come from deep,dwight yorke looked like keano playing against them today.

You play in the style your manager tells you to. Even if there is no need for one to hold and one to push on, that is what Sven wants and so that is what he, as manager, gets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Erikson has to drop one of the central lads and bring in carrick or similar or play rooney alone up front with ger/lamp/carrick in centre but lamps shud be dropped on last 2 performances.

• Advertisement

Ok, so gerrard had a poor game but got a couple of good tackles in and initiated some attacks from the DMC position. He pushed forward and scored a cracker of a goal.

Lampard did not defend, missed shot after shot after shot, initiated bugger all attacks and played better ??

I think not.

And regardless of how poor Gerrard is as a DMC, lampard strives on not having to track back, he did not track back and spent most of the game pushed on. How could him not having to tackle back, not having to do all of the running, and not putting his body on the line, have made it harder for him ?

Agreed muppet, good for england for Rooney to be back, he really shook things up and gave england a little extra with Lennondoing the same for them on the right.
    Who said Lampard played better?You're missing the point,i'm saying Lampard would improve with a dmf in the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭johnos

So long Trinidad. So much for all that 'gulf in class' guff.
    You were the best thing so far about WC 2006.

Edit: maybe not yet

The argument is not about which player is better rather its about the system and the way Sven force-fits two players where only one should be.

Mike.

I was being pilloried by aquos for saying that Gerrard was better in that game, that suggests to me that if he thinks I am wearing red tinted specs to see gerrard as having a better game then he thinks that Lampard did. I agree re the DMC and Gerrard would improve if he was given a chance to maraud forward but they are constrained within a system put upon them by their manager.

Well the system has worked so far, sweden will be a better test but I have my doubts about how they would do v Germany or Ecuador.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

The whole team were crap TBH. The score flattered them. Hard luck on Trinidad & Tobago, they deserved at least a point.

I'd love to see Paraguay and Sweden draw tonight, Sweden lose to England and then T&T beat Paraguay and go through! I imagine I'd get very large odds on it though. 1000-1 anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lemlin wrote:
    The whole team were crap TBH. The score flattered them. Hard luck on Trinidad & Tobago, they deserved at least a point.

I'd love to see Paraguay and Sweden draw tonight, Sweden lose to England and then T&T beat Paraguay and go through! I imagine I'd get very large odds on it though. 1000-1 anyone?

I wouldnt give you anymore than 50-1 tbh. Every team in that group is playing absolutely poop, apart from Trinidad and Tobago. I still think they are very much in the hunt for qualifying and they are playing some very good football, they could definately get a result from the Paraguayans

I was being pilloried by aquos for saying that Gerrard was better in that game, that suggests to me that if he thinks I am wearing red tinted specs to see gerrard as having a better game then he thinks that Lampard did. I agree re the DMF and Gerrard would improve if he was given a chance to maraud forward.

Well the system has worked so far, sweden will be a better test but I have my doubts about how they would do v Germany or Ecuador.
    Gerrard did contribute more,im not disputing that.However you have to admit that either of the two players,as attacking midfielders,would improve immensely if given the opportunity to play alongside a proper DMF.On form,as i said before,Lampard should be dropped.

Owen should be dropped too imo,but since they've qualified i dont think he will.

Now that they have qualified I do think he will be dropped. Walcott may get a run and could be a nice sharpness exercise for rooney.

Gotta rest crouch thought, wouldn't want him burned out. An average of 2 in three is not to bad for a big fella with no touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lemlin wrote:

eh not quite.

probaly about 20-1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

What did everyone think of Liam Brady's claim that the England players arent as good as there made out to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Uh... it's the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

after the 2 performances so far i think he might be right

how did the ITV pundits react to this match?

tdv wrote:
    What did everyone think of Liam Brady's claim that the England players arent as good as there made out to be?
    I think they are being made to look a lot worse than they are by a poor manager.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The argument about who played better between Lampard and Gerrard is totally pointless because they were both awful from start to finish and anyone who says different is deluded. I forgot Gerrard was even on the pitch until he hit that shot and Lampard just missed chance after chance. England are a very average side and ill say what I have always been saying, they dont have a hope of winning this world cup because the manager does not have a clue.

I feel for the Soca Warriers. I think they wanted a draw in their first two games and then go for it against Paraguay in the final game. They didnt deserve to lose and Yorke was brilliant again. Some of those players will be signed by bigger clubs.

England were rubbish from start to finish and lacked any imagination. One of Lampard or Gerrard should be dropped, it doesnt matter which because they were equally as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I think Beckham get motm just shows how bad they were as he was well below par.

"David Beckham is the Budweiser Man of the Match today for a number of reasons,” said FIFA Technical Study Group member Rodrigo Kenton. “At times, he dictated the pace of the game and the quality of the ball he delivered for England's first goal was superb.”

Beckham, who spent part of the second half in an unfamilar right-back role, contributed with his leadership at a time when England might have let themselves get frustrated. "Being the captain of a team is a very important job and today Beckham did that superbly," said Kenton.

"Things were not going well for England, but he rallied the team by the standard of his performance and by his character. He knows the rhythm of the team, he is able to manipulate it - and quite simply, he is a quality player."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

England look like a team that have sold out. Where's the balls anymore? If you have to play beckham at left back just to avoid taking him off, it's a terrible sign. On the issue of Gerrard vs Lampard, neither of them are capable of playing without a passing midfielder beside them, a Nicky Butt type player, The only option seems to be Carrick but I doubt his capabiulities at this level. Stewart Downing, why is he near an England team?

England look like a team that have sold out. Where's the balls anymore? If you have to play beckham at left back just to avoid taking him off, it's a terrible sign. On the issue of Gerrard vs Lampard, neither of them are capable of playing without a passing midfielder beside them, a Nicky Butt type player, The only option seems to be Carrick but I doubt his capabiulities at this level. Stewart Downing, why is he near an England team?
    Beckham was at right back,a role he has filled in for before.This was primarily because Neville was injured.

I agree about what you've said about their midfield problem but i though Downing did alright when he came on today.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think Beckham get motm just shows how bad they were as he was well below par.

"David Beckham is the Budweiser Man of the Match today for a number of reasons,” said FIFA Technical Study Group member Rodrigo Kenton. “At times, he dictated the pace of the game and the quality of the ball he delivered for England's first goal was superb.”

Beckham, who spent part of the second half in an unfamilar right-back role, contributed with his leadership at a time when England might have let themselves get frustrated. "Being the captain of a team is a very important job and today Beckham did that superbly," said Kenton.

"Things were not going well for England, but he rallied the team by the standard of his performance and by his character. He knows the rhythm of the team, he is able to manipulate it - and quite simply, he is a quality player."
    Dictated the pace of the game? lmao at that. As for the captaincy, Lennon did more for the energy of the team than the so called "captain" did.

Anam wrote:
    Beckham was at right back,a role he has filled in for before.This was primarily because Neville was injured.

I agree about what you've said about their midfield problem but i though Downing did alright when he came on today.
    Beckham was not at right back cause Neville wasn't there. beckham was at right back because Erikkson didn't have the bottle to take Beckham off and instead took of Carragher, who to be honest was contributuing nothing either. Anybody else think Dwight Yorke should have been man of the mathc.?

Beckham was not at right back cause Neville wasn't there. beckham was at right back because Erikkson didn't have the bottle to take Beckham off and instead took of Carragher, who to be honest was contributuing nothing either. Anybody else think Dwight Yorke should have been man of the mathc.?
    My point is that if he was adamant in taking off Carragher,there was no right back available.And tbh i would keep beckham on if i could too,he's always capable of winning a match with his dead ball deliveries.Yorke was definately a contender for motm,more so than Beckham anyway!

• Advertisement
Advertisement