Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Problems!! Are u having any of these ??

• 15-06-2006 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭

Got Eircom BB a month and a half ago. Its the 2mb package. Well what my self and my brother are having problems is with after about 20 to 30mins we get cut off for about 20seconds. Then it happens again in 20mins and so on... all night long from monday to friday. Its just unusable while playing games as u know after 20 to 30 mins you will lose connection. Also ping goes mad high and back to normal again during your play. This only happens during the week from monday to firday and during the weekend is very much all right apart from the odd time.

Called customer services but they cant help. All they told me to do is plug my modem directly into the phone line which i will do tonight but i just dont think this will work.

Anyone have the same problems ?
    Can you think of any way to fix my problem ?
    Have tryed everything i can think off. But if you have anything you would like to add no matter what it be a help.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 flano1

You just described exactly what is happening to me. I'm also on the 2Mb package. Sometimes I can't connect and other times I can but I'm not getting an ip address (and once I got a very strange ip - 213.94.x.x!). Like you said, I can go for a while with no problems and then it will keep happening.

I rang the tech support and they said it was not normal. I plugged the phone line directly into the socket, tried several different filters etc. They got an engineer to look at the line, and they came back saying it was fine and that internal wiring was at fault. I only have one phone point so I don't see how this can be the problem.

Im sure it's the phone line. I'm going to ring again today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah he was on about internal wireing also might be the problem. As if its in your house and they put the wires in your house ?? Dont they have to fix them also ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Log into the modem (http://192.168.1.254) and make sure it's set up as an "Always On" connection and not "Manual" or "On Demand".

kaizersoze wrote:
    Log into the modem (http://192.168.1.254) and make sure it's set up as an "Always On" connection and not "Manual" or "On Demand".

Will try that later tonight.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I most soitainly am but I'm just trying to get a plain old phone line to start with. Since my first invoice came in yesterday, I've jumped ship to Imagine. I'm never paying Eircom another cent after the customer service (or lack thereof) that I've received.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

internal wiring could very well be the problem

eircom are only responsible as far as the main phone point in the house
    if its occuring on another socket, there is nothing they can do

you need to test it on the mai eircom phone point without a filter or splitter, just direct

do that for about a day
    if its the same thing, its an issue o the line but eircom BB wont fix it for you, you'll have to go through 1901

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Check your line stats in your modem (am not with Eircom so cannt tell you how sorry) regular disconnects can be due to the quality of the line.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

I'm having the exact same problem, eircom are pirates, anybody fix it as I am at my wits end!!! >:(

flano1 wrote:
    You just described exactly what is happening to me. I'm also on the 2Mb package. Sometimes I can't connect and other times I can but I'm not getting an ip address (and once I got a very strange ip - 213.94.x.x!). Like you said, I can go for a while with no problems and then it will keep happening.

I rang the tech support and they said it was not normal. I plugged the phone line directly into the socket, tried several different filters etc. They got an engineer to look at the line, and they came back saying it was fine and that internal wiring was at fault. I only have one phone point so I don't see how this can be the problem.

Im sure it's the phone line. I'm going to ring again today.

Still having problems but not as bad, will know more during the week as i will be online more. What i have done is change my telephone line coming from my socket to my modem. I was using the eircom one they provided but not any more "useing my old line that i used to have pluged into my 56k modem " and i have been only cut off ones since then. Also changed the settings as one poster above said to turn modem to be always on.

Will let you know more by friday if what i have done does work and not just for the weekend.

Monday = No lag at all but did drop connections ones at 11pm.

Thanks for the reply, i'd appreciate if you can give me any update on how it goes, will try the above post and let you know :)

BadCharlie wrote:
    Still having problems but not as bad, will know more during the week as i will be online more. What i have done is change my telephone line coming from my socket to my modem. I was using the eircom one they provided by not any more and i have been only cut off ones since then. Also changed the settings as one poster above said to turn modem to be always on.

Will let you know more by friday if what i have done does work and not just for the weekend.

• Advertisement

I meant to say, I have a NETOPIA router, when I access it I get these options under PRIVACY:

OFF - No Privacy
    WPA - 802.1x
    WPA - PSK
    WEP - Automatic:
    WEP - Manual
    Use Encryption Key

Do I set it to automatic? if so, will my router be ok as It might change the encryption key??? ... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I meant to say, I have a NETOPIA router, when I access it I get these options under PRIVACY:

OFF - No Privacy
    WPA - 802.1x
    WPA - PSK
    WEP - Automatic:
    WEP - Manual
    Use Encryption Key

Do I set it to automatic? if so, will my router be ok as It might change the encryption key??? ... :(
    The best choice is WPA-PSK. WEP (manual or Automatic) is an old standard that is relatively easy to crack.

PSK stands for "Pre-Shared Secret", which is the string of characters that you set on both the router and the client. Once a client sets up a session, the key is regularly changed during the session, but that's all transparent to you, the user, and once you have WPA-PSK set up properly, you don't have to worry about it again.

Ok I hope this helps...

Ok let me explain my setup before I say. I have a router and my xbox is connected to it for xbox live. I have a wireless key plugs into my pc so I can access the internet also. What I've noticed is that every 20 randomly my internet drops. I might have figured out why....

I've noticed that the phone line is interupting with the connection. Every time the phone is used the signal drops. The phone is wireless so I'm sure this doesn't help. I have a splitter at my phone socket so there can be broadband and access to phones. GOD I ****ING HATE EIRCOM!!!

Anyway hope this helps,

I'm goning to ring eircom and see what they can do for me :/

BadCharlie wrote:
    Still having problems but not as bad, will know more during the week as i will be online more. What i have done is change my telephone line coming from my socket to my modem. I was using the eircom one they provided but not any more "useing my old line that i used to have pluged into my 56k modem " and i have been only cut off ones since then. Also changed the settings as one poster above said to turn modem to be always on.

Monday = No lag at all but did drop connections ones at 11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Ok I hope this helps...

Ok let me explain my setup before I say. I have a router and my xbox is connected to it for xbox live. I have a wireless key plugs into my pc so I can access the internet also. What I've noticed is that every 20 randomly my internet drops. I might have figured out why....

I've noticed that the phone line is interupting with the connection. Every time the phone is used the signal drops. The phone is wireless so I'm sure this doesn't help. I have a splitter at my phone socket so there can be broadband and access to phones. GOD I ****ING HATE EIRCOM!!!

Anyway hope this helps,

I'm goning to ring eircom and see what they can do for me :/
    DECT cordless phones are well known to cause problems with BB. The odd thing is that for some people they don't. Try disconnecting the cordless and using a normal wired phone to see if the problem goes away. It could also be a dodgy filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

I have a splitter at my phone socket so there can be broadband and access to phones.
    Is that the only phone in the house?

Droped ones again on Tuesday and Wednesday but only ones each night and no lag.

So far now it only drops ones each night which is so much better then before. I can live with it droping ones a night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Ho-Hum

I have been having the same problems as described above for about 3-4 months , for me at least it has been a hopeless effort trying to ring eircom customer service they just blurt out the same crap everytime I ring them.

Ho-Hum wrote:
    I have been having the same problems as described above for about 3-4 months , for me at least it has been a hopeless effort trying to ring eircom customer service they just blurt out the same crap everytime I ring them.

Yeah i know what u mean. When i called them for the first time and they were telling what i should do i was just saying yeah did that all ready. I would not be a noob when it comes to computer nor an expert. Also found it next to imposible to understand the guy who was talking to me. sounded like it was someone from india or there abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Darkman9999

This helped me solve my connection problems:

If ur using a wireless DSL modem/router you can try disabling the sofware that comes with it from handling the connection and instead which to Windows Zero Configuration to setup and control the connection, this is relatively straight forward procedure particularly with Belkin routers, simply right click the litte wireless icon in the traybar and select zero configuration. I'm not to sure about Netgear routers but I would imagine its pretty much the same.

Likewise, if ur having trouble with zero configuration, use or install the software that came with ur router.

If all else fails reset the modem/router using a needle at the back of it. But remember to visit www.eircom.net/broadband/support first, and take down all the details on the left of the screen, without it you can't connect and will have to ring them. For a wireless router, generally the setup address is 192.168.2.1

Seting up is straight forward, just follow the prompts and ur all set.

Update:

It all went well until over the weekend when my brother was cut off a good few times. Things seem to have improved i only get cut off 1 or 2times each night so its something im going to have to keep an eye on. We are going to stop using wireless all together and hope it gets better. But i have been doing this for a day or 2 and still get the odd cut off.

So the problem is still there but finding it is the tricky part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭MonkMuffet

sorry havent really the energy to read the other posts.
    by any chance do you have eircom phonewatch alarm? we have this and it was affecting our connnection.....alaways randomly dropping. if so, you can get the phonewatch people to install a special splitter. sorts it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Foxwood wrote:
    The best choice is WPA-PSK. WEP (manual or Automatic) is an old standard that is relatively easy to crack.

PSK stands for "Pre-Shared Secret", which is the string of characters that you set on both the router and the client. Once a client sets up a session, the key is regularly changed during the session, but that's all transparent to you, the user, and once you have WPA-PSK set up properly, you don't have to worry about it again.

PSK Pre shared key and if you make it 63 totally random alpha numeric characters you will be un hackable... you'll have to cut and paste your key each time a new device wants to connect... and store safely somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

connect and will have to ring them. For a wireless router, generally the setup address is 192.168.2.1

Seting up is straight forward, just follow the prompts and ur all set.[/QUOTE]

Eircom default router ip is 192.168.1.254

MonkMuffet wrote:
    sorry havent really the energy to read the other posts.
    by any chance do you have eircom phonewatch alarm? we have this and it was affecting our connnection.....alaways randomly dropping. if so, you can get the phonewatch people to install a special splitter. sorts it out.

Nope i dont have that at all. Still have the problem well it dont seem bad for me of late but i dont be online as much as i was....

Advertisement