Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old cinemas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The McDonalds on O'Connell Street near the Spire used to be a cinema too at one stage, didn't it?

Actually lots of buildings on O'Connell Street were cinemas at one stage or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

the adelphi in dundalk was great. first film i ever saw was jurassic park there and the last was blair witch project. it had those great wide seats in the back two rows that could fit 2 people! (or 3 eight year olds)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

r3nu4l wrote:
    I remember the torn, mouldy seats, having to move seats when it rained because of the leaks in the roof and also the rats and mice:rolleyes: My Mams friends used to bring blankets and a thermos flask full of hot tea so they could stay warm in the autumn and winter :)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, you're not 31 - you're 71! Because that was London during the Blitz! Not Dublin... no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Gosh this bringing back memories. Had my first kiss in the cinema in Fairview...Memories I think the film was Nightshift...

Heh, Night Shift. How appropriate! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Heh, Night Shift. How appropriate

:D:D:D
    like it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Dudess wrote:
    Jesus, Mary and Joseph, you're not 31 - you're 71! Because that was London during the Blitz! Not Dublin... no?
    Dudess wrote:
    Heh, Night Shift. How appropriate!

Dudess is on a roll here :D

Yep, wish more people had been around for those two hours when I was taken over by the spirit of a comic genius... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 kendray

Dudess wrote:
    Cork heads, there was The Palace (where Everyman is now I think), The Lee (by Brown Thomas - it's a Centra now), The Pavillion (HMV, Pav nightclub at the side), The Savoy (way before anyone's time I'd say), The Cameo (Old Youghal Road - now apartments). Only remember specifically going to The Lee, and then to McDonalds, Winthrop Street.
    Victor, The Capitol was shut down a few months ago. Pity. Think it was there a long time. Don't think it was purposely built as a multiplex. Think it was a single cinema initially and then upgraded. Don't know what's being put in its place. Apartments presumably, considering every single building that gets closed down in Cork lately is replaced by apartments.

Yeah the Cork Cineplex. Will always have fond memories of the place. Saw the first Superman there back in79/80 and the opening of the new Cineplex with Batman. Lord Mayor Chrissie Ahern was there. Sat in 4 row middle section sixth seat in from right. Was young then but made a note of wear i sat. Then it closed before Christmas last and was there too :D:D

Again another Mayor Dierdre Clune. Casablanca. Brilliant.

But also fond memories of all the other cinemas in cork. First Film ever I can remember was Flash Gordon. Fell asleep.

Great days. Now they can't even focus the damn picture. Sound is better though.

LAter,

Kendray.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There was the Metropole, now the Screen, just off Hawkins Street. There was also the Odeon on Eden Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Dublinwon

I know, you probably think this is weird but ever since I was a kid I've been obsessed with the cinema but now feeling very nostalgic for the old cinema listings pages from the press or herald, I know I can pay a hundred euro to access online archives but would love if anyone could post anything they had of those late 70s to early 90s cinema listings pages from the paper, yes I know yellow and murky they would be.I have the two great books , a-z old dublin cinemas etc but they mainly concentrate on 1950s and 60s.

I know, you probably think this is weird but ever since I was a kid I've been obsessed with the cinema but now feeling very nostalgic for the old cinema listings pages from the press or herald, I know I can pay a hundred euro to access online archives but would love if anyone could post anything they had of those late 70s to early 90s cinema listings pages from the paper, yes I know yellow and murky they would be.I have the two great books , a-z old dublin cinemas etc but they mainly concentrate on 1950s and 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Dudess wrote: »

Might not be, the number 4 screen in the Cineplex in Waterford had the heating fail one winter and they just never bothered fixing it for months. You'd nearly get frostbite if you went to see a film in it and that place only closed about 7 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i bought my film buff father in law a book on the history of dublin cinemas in chapters recently, it is a very good read

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Flukey wrote: »
    There was also the Odeon on Eden Quay.
    Was this what became The Screen O'Connell Bridge?
    I used to go to the Classic in Harold's Cross all the time, mainly cause it was nicer than the Stella. I was really annoyed I didn't get to go to the last showing of the Rocky Horror there before it shut.
    I moved into a place around the corner from the Classic - and it closed the following week - only saw Terminator 3.

The Swan in Rathmines is currently being extended, so it is unlikely that the Stella will ever reopen as a cinema. It really was a throw back to circa 1954.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

No mention of The Carlton on O Connell St in Dublin.

First ever visit to a cinema - saw Raiders of the Lost Ark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭ollaetta

A few of those mentioned crop up in this pic archive: http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/image-galleries/digital-collections/going-flicks-dublin-cinemas

Look out for the Phoenix, scary is not the word!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Dublinwon wrote: »
    have you tried the central library or other places that have the microfiche readers ?

the ad for mad max :pac:

Such great pics, thank you, im reliving my youth

have you tried the central library or other places that have the microfiche readers ?

the ad for mad max :pac:
    Yeah been down that route alrightbut loving the hard copy elements also,cheers though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Upstairs in Pearse Street library have lots of old 'Evening Press' and other papers.

spurious wrote: »
    Upstairs in Pearse Street library have lots of old 'Evening Press' and other papers.
    Thanks for that, ill give that a look now, evening press was great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

anyone remember the one in roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

cena wrote: »
    anyone remember the one in roscommon

That was a good year that we had the cinema ;) too much money was put into it though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I remember seeing E.T. in a cinema just off Parnell square up from granby row and at the corner of Dorset st, the building then became the national wax museum for the longest time (mid 80s-mid 90s) and now a dreadfully bad hotel sits on the same location.

Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the cinema though..anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 VirginPrune

My father was from Bailieboro and we lived in Terenure (early/mid seventies) so my first few cinema experiences were in the Bailieboro cinema on trips to see relatives. Obviously long gone but hard to believe small towns had their own cinemas back then. Later on I remember being told that the building was a total dump with no heat, damp seats etc but as a kid I saw none of this. Magical experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

david75 wrote: »
    I remember seeing E.T. in a cinema just off Parnell square up from granby row and at the corner of Dorset st, the building then became the national wax museum for the longest time (mid 80s-mid 90s) and now a dreadfully bad hotel sits on the same location.

Cannot for the life of me remember the name of the cinema though..anyone else?
    I think it was the Plaza Cinerama.

I think it was the Plaza Cinerama.
    I think so, I remember seeing e.t. in the adelphi , queued for miles down the streets , so worth it though, good ole days

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Obviously long gone but hard to believe small towns had their own cinemas back then.
    Realise that practically nobody would have had television and there was little choice on the radio - even at that, the radio would take a break during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Victor wrote: »
    Realise that practically nobody would have had television and there was little choice on the radio - even at that, the radio would take a break during the day.
    And RTE didn't start till the afternoon and the only childrens program was Wangerly Wagon

Advertisement