Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser View & Site Review Please

Options
  • 15-06-2006 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Ok

Site we have is www.irishgunners.com

Clicking on the link in the top frame 'Irish Gunners' it takes page to home page

http://www.irishgunners.com/arsenal/index.htm

Viewing it in work using IE 6.0.2800.1106 and the red header and green header
    at the top an the bottom seem to go into a separate column

However viewing it at home using latest Firefox and IE 7 its not there

Using Dreamwever 8 and cannot figure it out as previewed in browser
    and it seems ok

Anywhere online I can test its compatability with all browsers or is there anything in DW8?

Anyone got any ideas ?

Also any comments good or bad would be welcome

I know the frame at the top is not the best but other than that what's wrong
    with this site

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

First impressions ... WAY too many adverts WAY too little content ... feels like a lets make you money website.

Second impression Frames ... why ? .. that could just be my personal dislike of frames though ...

home should have a target mainFrame ... shouldn't it ? so it all doesn't load in that frame again ...

Last comment ... I have no idea what the site is about ?

Sorry they are all negative comments its just the way the site strikes me

For your online testing ...
    if you've got a budget to spend on it you can get faster responses and won't have to wait in queues so much

http://browsershots.org/

http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

also dont bother with IE7 - its still in beta format

The coding is very sloppy - far too many tables when the entire site could have been coded using minimum effort (less tables or even divs or even both)

Chances are you have a width set far too width - I think I saw atleast one width set to 627 even though the previous width was 527 - thats your problem there

Plus you are relying waaaay to much on Dreamweaver

Remember you can have valid code, but it can also look mucky on other browsers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

error9 wrote:
    For your online testing ...
    if you've got a budget to spend on it you can get faster responses and won't have to wait in queues so much
    http://browsershots.org/
    http://www.danvine.com/icapture/

What does it mean by queues when you make a screenshot?

Adverts not my idea guy who does the site with me. The site is a football site for Notts Forest and Arsenal thus the top links
    Was going to put a link 'break out of frames' on the Arsenal page to give the user option

Only a novice so thats why using DW I know I rely on it buts it all I have when it comes to html etc

Will check out the width and see

Thanks for the input

A lot of other people are using those services ...

When you submit your site .. you'll be placed in a queue ... could take a few minutes could take a few hours / days .. to hear back from them ... as its a free service you can't really complain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I don't fully understand - is this an Irish Arsenal Supporters page? or is a business website or what?

axer wrote:
    I don't fully understand - is this an Irish Arsenal Supporters page? or is a business website or what?

I'm in totally the same boat ...
    error9 wrote:
    Last comment ... I have no idea what the site is about ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The frameset't title is in caps - is this necessary?
    Why do I neec to click a link on the homepage to get to the homepage? Surely going to irishgunners.com will bring me straight to it? Currently when I go to the default page I see nothing about Arsenal - it is all the aformentioned adverts. If I was a supporter would I bother my arse staying on the site? Doubtful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yes it is an Arsenal website and also a Nottingham Forest Website

However other user on this account wants it so that users see the adverts first and can
    then by pass it by clicking on the link in the top frame or in the Arsenal Logo in the main frame

Then they go to the main arsenal page where there are no adverts, http://www.irishgunners.com/arsenal/index.htm

Could have it so that when a user goes in they go straight to the arsenal page

However dont want adverts etc all over this thus the entrance page has them

Trying to redesign the main page link above rest to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Dear God, what a completely obnoxious arrangement. Tell him to research his crazy theories a bit better. Users are more likely to click through on discrete targetted ads. Do you honestly expect a Gunners fan to sit through all those ads, and return? Fair play if you do!

.cg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why would people want to keep coming back to your site if they can just go to arsenal-now.com or myfootballnews.co.uk which is where you seem to be getting all your content from?

As for design, I can't say I like it much, it looks like there's a stylesheet missing. If you just made the inner box background all white instead of being that dotted pattern it would look miles better imo. The way you have it now I was expecting the background to stay fixed as I scrolled down.

Also, the header images are strange looking. Clean the header image up and it'll look a bit better too. It just doesn't look right that header.

Oh, and as for all that flashing ad crap everywhere, it makes the site look like one of these crappy annoying portals that you get when you type something into google and it brings up this page, and it turns out to be some domain squatter trying to make some cash by throwing up a page of ads in hope that someone will be sucked in. I thought I was going to get a virus by being on those flights and hotels pages of the site.

I much prefer the simpler Forrest Supporters page to the Arsenal one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

I'm using safari, images for the title bar dont line up. Tbh looks like a css made page with the stylesheet missing, keep on at it tho.

Advertisement