Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal Phone Wiring

• 15-06-2006 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,744 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Okay-eircom called out to the house the last day-there has never been a phone in this house (about 3 years old) and we are the second owners.
    The Eircom line comes into a box on the gable of the house and is connected to another line there which appears to go in through the wall to the house.
    Inside the house itself there are two wired phone points, one in the living room and one in the upstairs bedroom.
    The eircom engineer said that the line that is coming in through the wall is not wired directly to either of the phone sockets and should instean be interfacing into a smaller box in the house somewhere-this he reckoned was usually in the corridor or not too far from where the line goes through the wall.
    No amount of looking for this box has found it.
    The line comes in through the wall beihnd the fridge(but does not actually come out through the wall there so I though the junction box may be behind some of the fitted kitchen-no luck its not in the kitchen from what I can see.
    The eircom guy advised calling the builders to see where it should be but I cannot find the contact info of the builder in the telephone book and I amnt too sure if he would even give a toss about it at this stage.
    Anyway I am going to persist with trying to get his contact information and will try the local planning authority for his contact info.
    Anyway-anyone have any similiar experiences and solutions?
    Kippy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Try looking in the attic or hotpress. Can you trace back from the bedroom wire, to see where its going. Alternatively ask one of your neighbours( if any).

• Registered Users Posts: 32 racer25

Hey

Might sound a bit daft but have you tried a cable detector. Not sure what the correct term is but it detect cables behind walls to prevent you drilling into them. In theory maybe you could use this to trace the wire.

The Planning Authority would be a waste of time we moved into a new house and basically the electrician told us where stuff went and then said where do you really want it.

Your best bet may still be with the builder, however eircom should keep records of where they wired sockets as Electrician are not allowed to put the Eircom box on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,744 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Cheers for the replies guys,
    It is not possible to get into the attic space easily- the room with the socket is in the attic at the moment and there are no access hatches to whatever atiic space there is-I hope they didnt put the cable there.
    The eircom engineer checked to ensure that the attic room socket was not wired directly to the eircom line already-he also checked the hotpress but I will have a second look myself as this is where I thought it could be-I also thought it could be in the storage space under the stairs but no such luck.
    I also checked the wall behind the fittet kitchen in case the box had been covered over but no such luck.
    I have a cable detector but I "think" it has to be "Live" before it will pick it up-the cable coming into the house at the moment is not live,
    Looks like trying to track down the builder-I was hoping the planning authority might have his contact details,
    Kippy

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Zoot

Hi Kippy,

silly question, but I presume you live in a once off house and so can't check with any neighbours?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,744 ✭✭✭✭kippy

We are in a small estate-so there are neighbours-all I have checked with so far dont have a telephine though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement