Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Drawing (H)

Options
  • 15-06-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

What did you think?

I messed it up so bad I really need to do well in paper II.

Q4 & Q7 Which I taught wud be two of my best question but I them messed up bad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Went great for me. Did 1,3,4,5,6 and 7. The skew lines bit of the first question was kinda weird but I figured it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Overall I thought it was a tough but fair paper.

Q1a fine
    Q1b fine. got 54 degrees for dihedral
    Q1c i knew what to do but couldnt figure out how to do it. needed to get plane ade as trus shape. In the end it was quite easy. de is a true length in plan. I got it wrong however.
    Q1d This was a big trick. D and E same heights. Couldnt do it first then returned and made a balls of it. Heard after that you were supposed to start in plan.

Q3a fine
    Q3b fine
    Q3c made a decent effort but dont know did i get it right.

Q5a fine
    Q5b Got this fine but made the mistake of diving mathematically rather than technically. dunno will i lose marks.

Q6a fine
    Q6b fine except i couldnt get point of contact of tangent.

Overall i'm happy. Tomorrows paper should be harder however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Thought it was a nice paper, I did 1,2,4,5 and 7

Feral Mutant: Aye, took me about 5 minutes to figure it out, then I was tempted to bang my head off the desk when I saw it. Q1 was obscenely easy.

Went great for me. Did 1,3,4,5,6 and 7. The skew lines bit of the first question was kinda weird but I figured it out.

Howdya have time for all them??

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

whassupp2 wrote:
    Howdya have time for all them??
    *shrug* Just got the questions done quickly and had time left over. My question 4 was kinda messy and I may have missed a point or two. Normally I wouldn't touch interpenetration *tee hee funny name* with a 20 foot pole, tbh I only did that one so I could say I did six questions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

Easy enough paper but i ****ed up the loci/cycloid Question......Q1 was easy...I started on this question.....after 20 mins i realised that i had the wrong line of intersection so i started again on a new sheet and got it all done correctly.....Q4-interpenetration was grand but took me 40 mins.......Solids in contact-Q3- was pretty straightforward but i got the wrong traces.....my traces went off the sheet because i used the centre of the cone B to swing an arc instead of swinging an arc from the point R...oh well **** it.....Then i should have spent the rest of my time on Q7 but did the stupid cycloid Q and drew a wrong locus with a loop in it instead of a dip or something..[according to my fellow students]..I did part a and b of 7 incase i got insufficient marks from the loci Q........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Gambra

We all thought this paper was a piece of piss. I messed up my interpenetration q a wee bit but still thought I got 70% percent. I guessed my plane directors in the solids in contact and couldn't get part (c) of Q1. I'm aiming for an A1 in this subject!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Grand paper

would say i got full marks in q4 and q7 got the a part of q5 grand didnt attempt the b part and q3 was fairly ok altogether think i may have got 150-180 out of 200 not a bad result

hopefully paper 2 will suit me and i should get a b

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Q1. Got a b and c alright. Didn't get time to go back over d though.

Q4. Took longer than usual to set it up so didn't quite get all the lines of interpenetration.

Q5. Part A was grand, forgot how to do b :F

Q7. Grand, full marks I think.

Overall I think I got a B on that. I don't like paper 2 as much so I hope I can at least keep up the B overall. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Q.1 Fine but didnt really understand part C and part D was tricky you wer ment to start off in plan yea? EM 40
    Q.3 Got it all done in 20mins taught it wud be my worst question but was ok. EM 30
    Q.4 I spent too long settin it up and made a balls of it!! EM 20
    Q.7 Feel like a tit for being soo stupid with that question EM 15

EM = Estimate Mark

Will have to do a lot better in paper II

• Advertisement

Q1 - Amazingly easy. Took me a sec to get d, but when I realised it twas a doddle
    Q2 - Left this one till last, because the part c was a little iffy. Got it in the end using a locus though
    Q4 - Handy enough, Visibility got a bit tricky right at the bottom elft of the plan though
    Q5 - Pretty simple, glad I had my flexicurve. Looked a bit weird though.
    Q7 - Simple enough, a&b were a doddle, c had a few bits that took me a ehile to figure out. Like how to get the sides of the pyramid in plan. Worked out fine though

Pretty sure I got the A1, might even be pushing 100% for the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I did pretty well I suppose.

Q1 - Not sure if I got c) fully right. I just projected at 90degrees from DE in the plan and drew a 70degree angle from it to A. Realised after I should have gotten ADE as a true shape. Couldn't figure out d) until the very end when it was too late. I got the auxiliary drawn from the plan but that was all I had time for.
    Q3 - I found it unbelievably easy. All the points of contact were on the side of the right cone so I literally had it done in 5 minutes. I was sure I had something wrong because I did it so fast. Still not so sure. Not too sure about my traces though.
    Q4 - Took me absolutely ages but I think it's mostly right. I hadn't done of these in ages and quickly remembered why I didn't like them.
    Q5 - Got a weird curve but so did everyone else. Logarithmic spiral was piss.

I had time to do the theorem question, but I couldn't get it started so I just left it and went back over stuff.

Really annoyed over Q1 c) and d) though.

Funkstard wrote:
    Q5 - Got a weird curve but so did everyone else. Logarithmic spiral was piss.

Ya I got weird curve. How did u do the 4:5 ratio--- technically or mathematically???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 totalmuppet

Did anyone do Q2 and if so did you get the shape out straight away without testing other possible solutions. Anyone else i've spoken to got this, me included, but it just seemed far too easy and I reckon there must be a fault in the question

Q1 - Piss, strike was DE
    Q2 - Easiest theorem yet......I think
    Q4 - Frustrating shape that just wouldn't work out for me
    Q5 - Perfect in under 10 mins
    Q6 - Except b2 simple, but even that wasn't hard

Overall, a great paper, probably pushing high 90's

This is similar to the curve i got for the loci question. Anyones any differenT??????

Did anyone do Q2 and if so did you get the shape out straight away without testing other possible solutions. Anyone else i've spoken to got this, me included, but it just seemed far too easy and I reckon there must be a fault in the question

Q1 - Piss, strike was DE
    Q2 - Easiest theorem yet......I think
    Q4 - Frustrating shape that just wouldn't work out for me
    Q5 - Perfect in under 10 mins
    Q6 - Except b2 simple, but even that wasn't hard

Overall, a great paper, probably pushing high 90's
    I did Q2, but I'm not entirely sure what you mean

whassupp2: Yeah, looks kinda like mine. Had that big hooky bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

whassupp2 wrote:
    This is similar to the curve i got for the loci question. Anyones any differenT??????

lol-honours td eh!!!:D
    mine was the samee;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 totalmuppet

whassupp2 wrote:

Couldn't load the image but if weird means that it had a sudden change of direction after the first 90 degrees of motion then its right because the point works its way along and back the AB curve

sticky9cd wrote:
    lol-honours td eh!!!:D
    mine was the samee;)

Ya i've always been known for my shaky hand when drawing curves.:D :D:D

Couldn't load the image but if weird means that it had a sudden change of direction after the first 90 degrees of motion then its right because the point works its way along and back the AB curve

Yep. it curves around for a bit, then curls upward before swinging clockwise to the ground

• Advertisement

whassupp2 wrote:
    Ya i've always been known for my shaky hand when drawing curves.:D :D:D
    And that's why flexicurves are the best invention ever.

Raphael wrote:
    And that's why flexicurves are the best invention ever.

Never used them and dont plan startin now. Are they the same as french curves???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

for Q1 D -did ye use the horizontal line in plan,and look at it as a point from the plan?? my traces on Q3 were realy far out. done **** in interpenatration cause when i done the 3rd view, the square based prism looked like really odd!!!

Nope
    g1171.jpg
    Them thingies. You just bend it to get the curve that fits your points.

sticky9cd wrote:
    for Q1 D -did ye use the horizontal line in plan,and look at it as a point from the plan?? my traces on Q3 were realy far out. done **** in interpenatration cause when i done the 3rd view, the square based prism looked like really odd!!!

The idea for 1d is that the line de is horizontal in elev. therefore its a true lenght in plan. a is on the plane ade. therefore a line from a to de must also run along the plane. You draw xy at parallel to de in plan. bring a to that view and using prtractor draw a line at 70 degrees to it.

sticky9cd wrote:

The idea for 1d is that the line de is horizontal in elev. therefore its a true lenght in plan. a is on the plane ade. therefore a line from a to de must also run along the plane. You draw xy at parallel to de in plan. bring a to that view and using prtractor draw a line at 70 degrees to it.

sticky9cd wrote:

Raphael wrote:
    Nope
    g1171.jpg
    Them thingies. You just bend it to get the curve that fits your points.

never seen them before. thas technology for ya

sticky9cd wrote:
    for Q1 D -did ye use the horizontal line in plan,and look at it as a point from the plan??
    Yeah, you just draw an auxiliary view with DE as a point, then join from there perpindicularly to AB. Get the point where it hits AB in plan, and because it was a true length in the auxiliary then the line is parallell to the X1Y1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh that's the same curve I & all my class got. I'm usually good at the theorem, but I just couldn't get it started today. How did you start it?

And about the spiral, I don't know which way I did it...I got the first and second length, swung up to a 30degree line, swung it back down and repeated it, each length getting bigger each time

Advertisement