Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mr Binman stunting recycling efforts.

Options
  • 15-06-2006 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭

Im out in the country and use the green bag service instead of the full Bin Collection service.
    Basically the green bag service allows those who recycle heavily and compost most of their waste to not have the need for a full bin.

However.... here comes the big problem, you are only allowed one optibag purchase for every green bag.

I have personally filled 5 recycling optibags for one green bag of unrecyclable, uncompostable waste. If it is being done properly this is always the way it will work. The answer I got back from Mr Binman is that if I wish to purchase more Optibags then I will have to either buy a green bag that I wont use (€7) or sign up for their full bin service (€200 per 6months).

To be honest, it would be far cheaper for me to throw everything out. With the landfill issues in the media at present I am sure this would become a fairly large issue if brought to public attention.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Even with the full bin service, you only get one opti-bag per week and the bags appear to have gotten smaller over the years - though I can't actually prove that - I just have a feeling they used to be bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

chuckles30 wrote:
    Even with the full bin service, you only get one opti-bag per week and the bags appear to have gotten smaller over the years - though I can't actually prove that - I just have a feeling they used to be bigger.

Yes you get them with the service, however you can order more if you need them.

But you cannot buy them on their own without a bin service.
    If you buy their Green bags you are only allowed to buy a single optibag.
    Ie GreenBag €7 + Optibag €2 = €9 times that by 5 and its €45.
    To make it worth while even recycling I require 1 x GreenBag and 5x Optibag.
    Thats €17 as opposed to €45.

I have sent an email to their Financial Director at fd@mrbinman.com I will be interested to hear his reply. If its entirely profit based I am passing the information to the local papers to make of it what they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Just a suggestion - why don't you bring your recycling to one of the council 'bring' sites? They're free and there's no limit on the amount you can bring.

chuckles30 wrote:
    Just a suggestion - why don't you bring your recycling to one of the council 'bring' sites? They're free and there's no limit on the amount you can bring.

I do, optibags dont take glass, the only problem is that its bottles and cans only.
    They need another area for plastic wrappings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement