Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serenity Day

• 15-06-2006 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭

June 23 is Serenity Day for anyone who doesn't know (and I only found out today - I'm out of the loop :o).

I think basically the plan is that a lot of cities (48, I think) around the world are showing screenings of 'Serenity' for charity (Equality Now). Also fans are encouraged to all buy a copy of the film on that day to show our support to Universal and hopefully get a sequel.

http://www.serenityday.org/ has some details (actually no more than I provided in this post), although that's more on the DVD-buying front.

Here's a thread on fff.net about the charity screenings if anyone is around those specified areas. There doesn't seem to be one organised in Dublin, though. Maybe we could organise one? Although maybe it's too late by now.

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com/ is what seems to be the official site for the screenings.

Just thought I'd let everyone know. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Altoid

So is anything happening in Dublin for this?

It's probably too late to start organising a screening here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Nope, nothing in Dublin, sadly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Lealonie

typical!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Daelus

Lealonie wrote:
    typical!
    Yeah! Typical of us lazy Dubliners! Riot!

Boo us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I say we print up a few copies of the screen play, go down to stephens green, take over one of those pagoda / bandstand yokes and re-enact the full series and screenplay!.

I bags Shepard Book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

I was there and gathered quite an audience... But... nobody else came... :o

Though i did buy the dvd and series and comic on serenity day (recent convert)..

I was disappointed with the comic. Seems there needed to be a good bit more in between..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Its almost feb now, can we not try to orginise this years serenity day now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

touche...................maybe hire out a cinema?

what about drinking?
    and i dont know if cinems except that relay small and expensive one that will play DVD's (the series)

well im out myself if its a pub or something similer.........only 14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

last year, serenity day was a day that everyone was asked to go buy Serenity on DVD to boost sales and increase the likelyhood of a sequel.

*sigh* i wish i had of know about it... i would have bought as many as i could afford my pay that month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭Almarsáre

I posted in the Dublin shindig thread about this.

While it may not happen on Serenity Day, I am trying to organise a screening for close to that date and it will benefit Equality Now.

I will post again when I have more concrete details but do spread the word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

robnubis wrote:
    increase the likelyhood of a sequel.
    Alas it's not to be. Joss has already said the tale is done and there's nothing more to do with it.

eh,no he hasnt
    he said no one will fund it......he said he will never give up[hes refering to the spike movie and firefly/serenity] but admited that if fox offered him anything,he would reject
    but he says now is time to move on,but if he gets the oppertunity he will definitty revise the firefly/serenity universee in live action.............ftm its just comics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭robnubis

aye its up to universal, who made serenity.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WadeTalon

hey i have an idea pravda pub on liffey street in Dublin show movies most weekends they have the facilities to play dvds onto a screen it can more than liely be done during the day time so anyoneunderage can still pop along. And the 23rd is a saturday this year so most folk will be off work.

i know the screen your talking about but it would all be a but rushe dwouldnt it? 1. The under agers would have to be early enough what with it being a sat night
    2. We would be rushed to have a good day in the 6 or so hours we would have.

Could we not find somewhere where we could watch firefly as well as serenity? somewhere we can go for a whole day/night?

At the moment, I'm trying to keep it in line with the http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com screenings. Which means it has to be Serenity. Also it would be great to see it on a big screen again. (therefore making a cinema preferable to a pub).Also as the fans have a good relationship with Universal, its much easier to get permission to show Serenity than Firefly where Fox hold the rights.

As this screening will also be for charity, holding it in Temple Bar (as mentioned in the shindig thread) would make the selling of tickets much more difficult.

At the moment the current plan is to have an early morning screening. This avoids any clashes with the cinema's busy times and will make the hire a little cheaper and therefore allow more money to go to the charity.

Once the date is settled, I will look into the availability of places to continue the shindig after the showing.

Universal are currently looking into the availability of prints during June and they will get back with an answer shortly.

Again I will post more details about the screening as soon as I have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I got a price of about €1500 to hire the Sugar Club for a day in the past. They have a very good AV set up there. If you got about a 100 people paying €25 each you could raise quite a bit. It can seat 150 and accommodate 250 overall and it has a full bar.

• Advertisement

Sounds great.

would we fill it in dublin? id say we would alright.

so at 25 a ticket = 6250 + Serenity T-shirt sales

That sound sliuke it could work ery well.

so you gonna start putting stuff in motion[well more than you've already done] monkeyfudge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Ha. sorry. I don't have time to organise something like this.

I'm just offering a suggestion. I got that quote from the sugar club some time ago for something else I was organising., so their prices may have changed since then.
    Following please information for a private rental.

Rental cost: €1500.00 + 21% VAT: €1815.00

Rental includes security, all staff, in house PA, sound system, LCD
    projector (runs off VHS and DVD), screen and sound engineer.

So I have some details. Please go to the new thread here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055061934

Advertisement