Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help please! places to live in cork

Options
  • 15-06-2006 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello people

I'll moving from sunny Spain to Cork shortly for a long term job, and I'd like to ask you for some suggestions about which areas are good to live in and which ones are not so good, you know what i mean... I have browsed the daft.ie ads many atimes but I have no damn idea where the houses are.
    I'll work in the airport bussiness park, so is it a good idea living by the Parnell station? Or maybe it is better to take a bus to get to Parnell and then taking the airport bus?

Well, I'm all questions as you can see, thanks for your time!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

hi there.

having done the same type of move in '04 (from canada though, not spain) i can recommend the following to you;

anywhere on the south side of town is lovely and depending where your job is, pretty easy to get around from (if your job is outside cork city).
    check out the neighbourhood's of friar's walk, ballyphehane, wilton, douglas, bishopstown and of course the city centre.
    lot's of places to rent directly in town, south main street (can try northgate complex on the corner [kyrl's quay] although some might say it's still a bit dodgy. i stayed there in '02 and it was grand, albeit expensive!) fisherman's quay or wharf (can't remember what it's called exactly) behind hanover st. is gorgeous and also will find lots on washington st or the western road.
    there are beautiful parts on the north side of the city too but more rare to come by.

in any case, a good website to look at would be;

http://www.cork-guide.ie/maps/corkcity.html

any other q's feel free to ask and i'm sure you'll get loads of other replies anyhow :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭les-paul

Nina Angelica, thanks a lot for your answer, I sure will be very helpful! Now I look forward to hearing more from other people. Come on folks, help this soon-to-be-Corkian!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Corkonian...

If you're working by the Airport, then Frankfield, Grange, Donnybrook and Douglas are all pretty close, and are serviced by the very regular no. 6 bus to and from town.

Err... bus #6??? I thought the only buses travelling to the airport were Bus Eireann's 226 and 249, which do not seem to pass bt the places you mentioned, am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

No I work for amazon up in the airport and the bus dosen't stop aloong the way it just goes straight from town to the airport. Bus station area would be your best bet

• Advertisement

Yeah, I more meant that the no. 6 services Frankfield and Grange from town, but they're close enough areas to the airport. It's really an awkward place to get to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭GoldieBear

You could try www.daft.ie

I would agree that the southside is nice especially Wilton/bishopstown. Should be easy to get a place now that college is out for the summer. Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

les-paul wrote:
    Err... bus #6??? I thought the only buses travelling to the airport were Bus Eireann's 226 and 249, which do not seem to pass bt the places you mentioned, am I missing something?

Cork’s public transport is the most user-unfriendly, stupidly designed, ugly, downmarket (designed for use by people stuck on welfare who can’t afford cars and have plenty of time on their hands). It is probably the most un-integrated, dozy, un-timetable-reliable, “system” on the planet. No buses at the railway station – you arrive there by train - you have to haul your luggage to the “city centre” to get a bus or get in one of the city’s filthy worn out taxis. There are no proper maps and schedules available. The train station and bus station are at different locations making connections difficult.

Beg, borrow or steal a car if you have to live in this infrastructural dump, even for a few months or better still go live somewhere else, (as in back on the Continent somewhere). Or sleep in the office! Many poor EU accession countries have far superior public transport in cities of similar size to Cork.

The condition of most Cork taxis (like the buses and trains that serve the city) is an insult to humanity (most of them are worn out 3rd +hand Toyotas with plastic sheeting to cover the vomit stains on the back seats). If you call a taxi in Cork, chances are the lazy taxi driver will pollute the neighbourhood by honking his horn to advise you of his arrival needlessly and continually rather than coming over and knocking on your door to tell you he has arrived (or use his mobile phone).

It’s not just buses and taxis. The sick state controlled monopoly airport system is in the process of finishing a new airport terminal at Cork Airport that has past its due opening date and the building remains “under construction”. Meanwhile traffic passing through the old terminal has grown to the planned size of the new terminal. The new over-budget, expensive anyway, terminal will be bursting to the seams the day it opens.

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

yah no ones asking you to stay... or you could just walk around. It's not that big. There's nothing wrong with the taxi's either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Faith wrote:
    If you're working by the Airport, then Frankfield, Grange, Donnybrook and Douglas are all pretty close

^Wot she said. Cycle to work, get a scooter, get a car (I'm selling a 97 Renault clio cheap wink wink). Douglas has just about everything you'd want in the evening, bars, food, cinema, supermarkets.

If you want to live in the city and get a bus out, then anything around the city centre is close to the bus station.
    Looked at a time table there - 6yoyo return ticket? Or probably 10yoyo a day on taxi's?

I agree with the basic sentiment behind Probes comments on Cork's public transport. Taking a bus from somewhere else to the bus station and then getting the bus to the airport is like russian roulette with two guns rather then one. A very risky business if you like getting to work on time!

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the answers.

I'm planning to live by the centre, then taking the bus to the airport, although it maybe a bit pricey, I'm used to paying 2 € for a round way from home to college, that is, in the mean and sunny Spain, guess I gotta get used to Ireland real soon, all of the adverts I've seen in daft make 2 o 3 times the usual rent down here for a shared house.

Well, yeah. Ireland is outrangeously expensive (I was charged 82c this morning for a Fruit & Fibre bar about the size of my thumb. 82c!!). Rents therefore are much higher.

Just wait until you buy alcohol...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Bus 226 also stops on Evergreen Road in the Turner's Cross area on the southside of the city. You could find accommodation around there. It's a nice place to live, near the city centre (15 minutes' walk), with some shops and pubs in the area. Much better than living in Douglas or Wilton or Bishopstown in my opinion.

A return taxi fare between the city centre and the airport is more likely to be at least 20 euro I think.

There are some useful maps here: http://www.corkcity.ie/maps/maps/tile_introa.html
    Evergreen Road is on tile 43.

Advertisement