Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Broadband Service?!?!

• 15-06-2006 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was with UTVip with broadband but decided it was not a great to be paying for a line and broadband. We decided Smart was the best way to go . So we ring them up and tell them we don't want to loose broadband while waiting what should we do? They tell us just sign up and tell the other provider to disconnect. It sounds fine but then I hear that there can be stop put on if there is an account already active.

I rang Smart up and asked if there a stop on my account and they eventually tell me yes. So I ask how do I get it un-"stopped". I need a cancelation number! What is a cancelation number? Apparently this is the number to say broadband is not on my account. So I contact UTV and they tell me they don't have a cancelation number as Eircom don't issue it untill they disconnect.

So to change my broadband I first have to give up my phone number thanks to Eircom and I loose a month of connection becasue of Eircom according to Smart. Is this actually right and who the hell do I complain about this anti-competative practice.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You summarised the situation perfectly .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this actually right and who the hell do I complain about this anti-competative practice.
    Yup, sounds about right to me. You could complain to Comreg as it's their job to regulate telecos but they'll simply deny all responsibility and tell you they don't get involved in individual complaints. You could also contact Noel Dempsey at the DCMNR, again for all the good it'll do you may as well be talking to the wall.

This is exactly what's stopping me from moving from BT to Smart. Methinks a whole new line is the only way to go.
    ...loose a month...
    Only if you're extremely lucky will you loose as little as a month. It's more likely to be several months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,243 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I was two months without not only broadband but also a phone. Thank you Eircom.

On the plus side, once you get to Smart, it's sweet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you telphone stuff is with UTV as well it can be even more complicated as to take you over Smart need both a cessastion number and an Eircom account number too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

I knew there would be a problem but I asked Smart first after explaining my situation and They told me there wouldn't be any issue. So I am annoyed with them as well. Considering the repeative calls I got from them to change I am kind of more annoyed

I guess I have no choice and as it is the summer I tend to use the PC less.

• Advertisement
Advertisement