Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Western Bloc Workers.

Options
  • 15-06-2006 3:19pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Full range of joinery / timber / furniture /shopfitting work catered for. Expert tradesmen guaranteed. prices that won,t break the bank.

Guaranteed preliminary appointments kept. Top quality work assured.
    Fluent in english , and all woodwork topics.:)

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

:D

if they promise to enter into following agreement great

1. will arrive at time appointed
    2. will stay onsite for at least 6 out of 8 hours in the day
    3. will not be stuck on mobile phone during these 6 hours
    4. will finish job within time agreed
    5. will guarantee their work and deal with any problems and not have a faulty mobile when problems arise
    6. will clean up after them

anybody else im off to watch the england game

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

So you'll only keep the preliminary appointments?

What about the ones where you're actually supposed to start the work?!:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Chocolate wrote:
    So you'll only keep the preliminary appointments?

What about the ones where you're actually supposed to start the work?!:)

1 Yes
    2. 8 out of 8
    3. No
    4. Yes.
    5. My number , landline, address is available now.
    6. Dust sheets, hoovers , are part of the van toolkit.

All appointments.

kadman

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

TBH Kadman, I think you made some very good points in the 'Eastern Bloc Workers' thread which went on for quite a bit, but I fail to see what this thread can achieve. Some other posters may take offence to it, and it doesn't really fall into the forums charter. I'll happily move it to another forum if you want, but otherwise i'll lock it by morning.

delly wrote:
    TBH Kadman, I think you made some very good points in the 'Eastern Bloc Workers' thread which went on for quite a bit, but I fail to see what this thread can achieve. Some other posters may take offence to it, and it doesn't really fall into the forums charter. I'll happily move it to another forum if you want, but otherwise i'll lock it by morning.

This thread is not meant to be offensive to any one. Its meant give posters the opportunity to realise that not all irish tradesmen are rip off merchants, and lazy con artists. The tone of the other thread is that eastern bloc workers are a better choice across the spectrum for construction projects. I dont necessarily agree, and am offering the opportunity to work with professional tradesmen , regardless of country of origin. This is a genuine attempt to offer people a considerate professional service.

I am a bit confused over the posters you feel will be offended. It appears then that other posters are entitled to sing the praises of some tradesmen over others , while I am not. So be it.

Any offense to any poster , or indeed viewer is entirely un intended, and I apologise.

Move it , bin it, delete it, lock it, if you must.

Totally confused:confused::confused:

kadman

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

kadman wrote:
    This thread is not meant to be offensive to any one. Its meant give posters the opportunity to realise that not all irish tradesmen are rip off merchants, and lazy con artists. The tone of the other thread is that eastern bloc workers are a better choice across the spectrum for construction projects. I dont necessarily agree, and am offering the opportunity to work with professional tradesmen , regardless of country of origin. This is a genuine attempt to offer people a considerate professional service.

I am a bit confused over the posters you feel will be offended. It appears then that other posters are entitled to sing the praises of some tradesmen over others , while I am not. So be it.

Any offense to any poster , or indeed viewer is entirely un intended, and I apologise.

Move it , bin it, delete it, lock it, if you must.

Totally confused:confused::confused:

kadman
    The other thread started out as a request to find out about Eastern European workers and how to go about getting them, i.e. it had a starting point relevant to the forum. It then went on a bit of debate of local versus foreign workers which was fine as it still had an original context to the OP. I personally think you came off pretty well in your points, but I don’t see the point in this thread just to counteract the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

I'm with you Kadman. I've recently finished a self build and with one exception all the tradesmen I used were top class. From excavator drivers to tilers. As it happens they were all Irish too. It was all done on price work and there was no rip off when it came to payment. The one excption was a lazy fecker of a plasterer who was recommended to me but was not interested in working for a living. He was sacked after one week when he had done about three hours work. The replacement plasterers were the best I've ever seen. None of these tradesmen were "cheap". They all got fair pay for good honest work. Any problems I had after they had finished were sorted out efficently and promptly.

The impression given in the other thread was that using Foreign workers was the only way to get a good job done at a good price. I'm just here to say it's not. There are plenty of hard working honest tradesmen out there. The only problem is that all of the good ones are busy;) Now get off the internet Kadman and do some work.

delly wrote:
    The other thread started out as a request to find out about Eastern European workers and how to go about getting them, i.e. it had a starting point relevant to the forum. It then went on a bit of debate of local versus foreign workers which was fine as it still had an original context to the OP. I personally think you came off pretty well in your points, but I don’t see the point in this thread just to counteract the other one.

Just for the record , its not posted to counteract the other thread. Its posted to let people know that there are excellent tradesmen available as well as excellent eastern bloc tradesmen, and to give them an opportunity to get a quote for their projects, and where to get it. I am being upfront and honest about that. Something they say they dont always get with an irish contractor. Of course I could go the devious route, and get lots of posters to recommend me , but I'm not that unscrupulous. ( spelling )

Not all the apples in the barrel are bad. I am happy to go along with your decision whether to let this thread run, move it bin it or what ever. I am making no attempt to argue with you on that score. Mods Rule .

kadman

Right we'll leave it as is for the moment. I probably should have closed the other one at the time, but if anybody wants to comment on your points then fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

kadman wrote:
    Just for the record , its not posted to counteract the other thread. Its posted to let people know that there are excellent tradesmen available as well as excellent eastern bloc tradesmen, and to give them an opportunity to get a quote for their projects, and where to get it. I am being upfront and honest about that. Something they say they dont always get with an irish contractor. Of course I could go the devious route, and get lots of posters to recommend me , but I'm not that unscrupulous. ( spelling )

Not all the apples in the barrel are bad. I am happy to go along with your decision whether to let this thread run, move it bin it or what ever. I am making no attempt to argue with you on that score. Mods Rule .

kadman

i was a poster in the other thread - and am well aware of how many good irish tradesmen there are out there - i did say my dad was a carpenter after all - all of my points were about the price i was being charged for my plastering which i felt was good value from the eastern bloc plasterer but way over the top from all the other irish quotes i got which is why i chose to go the route i did - having said that i had an irish block layer, and irish man with digger and an irish electrician because i got prices from the i thought were fair !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Well for what it's worth I have to agree with Kadman, it appears even on a public forum this "Politically Correct" crap has gone too far.

Out of the list above I can't guarantee to turn up on time if it means I have to leave a job part finished to start another, or as has happened I get so bloody tired that I get the schedules mixed up.

Regarding number 2 I honestly wish I could remember when all I had to put in is an 8 hour day, yes that's actual work without lunch breaks.

Regarding 3 & 5 I do not give out my mobile or is it cell phone number ? I don't care how big the customer is try using my office number to get my mobile, it will be given out on pain of death, BTW that rule was brought in by my wife.

Customers do get my office and home telephone numbers, all land lines.

Unlike some who post here I do not engage in reading a topic then sending messages to the person in trouble offering my always expensive services.

Regarding item 6, the golden rule taught to all of us by my Late Grand Father was ; it doesn't matter how much or how little you get done in a day Always clean up.

The clean up served a lot of purposes, it meant the work could be presented to the customer in a safe way, more important it meant all work following on could be carried out in safety.

I was that foreigner working in other countries while keeping my business and family in Ireland, so I know what motivates many of the eastern block workers
    it has nothing to do with offering better value, it's about getting the CASH in your pocket and getting on to the next job as fast as possible.

I wonder how many self builders ask to see the skills certs, C2 certs, insurance cover etc from the Eastern Block workers ?

How many can get land lines, business addresses and even home addresses that are stability we enter into that keeps us here for at least 25 five years ? not rented accomodation that at worst we lose a months rent maybe the deposit ?

All tradesmen and women who are officially based here have the same mortgages, and many other payments that this Celtic Tiger has bestowed upon the average consumer, so why should those with skills work for for less than their employers ?

Sorry but the day of doffing the cap to the wealthy home owners have long gone into the distant past, the day when the payments are higher than the incomes are not too far away, and Paddy will be flying again.

Sure if you want 24 hour service it can still be provided, but are enough of today's consumers willing to pay skilled people the rates that are needed to live as an honest tax paying service provider in this country ?

I doubt it.

Like Kadman I do not try to stay anonymous, I never have, not because it's advertising but because I believe if you write it / type it have the guts to sign it.

Yours Sincerely,

Peter Crawley.

www.crawleyandsons.com

www.ecostoves.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

I am nearing completion on my self build.
    We used
    Irish contractors for
    Gropund works
    Block layer,
    Stone MAson
    Roofing
    All first and second fix carperntry
    Plumbing and electrical work
    Stairs and kitchen
    Landscaping

Lithuanian workers for
    Tiling
    Laying path
    Building steps
    Stone work on garden walls

Most agreed a price, arrived on time, finished the job, presented a bill and were paid that same day, with a few exceptions.

I have only had one probelm with dishonesty, in fact downright attempts at defrauding and that was from one Irish person who has the best reputation in the industry, a large customer base, is local, Irish and has attempted to rip us off to the tune of 16k.

I chose workers based on their abilities, work done to date, references, availability and price.

Their nationality did not come into it.

I had not one problem with time keeping, attendance, quality of work, value for moeny, insurance compliance until I came to the end of my build and now face one problem person.

I was willing to pay for items which in my opinion merited a skilled craftsman, the front door was made by a local joiner and the stairs by a master craftsman.

I took a lot of time finding the people who worked for me, when a job was done they were paid that day.

Having taken such care and diligence througoit our build we were rewarded with a house which to me is a showcase for the many varied and wonderful talents of the craftmen and tradesmen involved.

Would I do it again, yes, would I reccomend the workers I use, without a doubt, did I get my jobs done on the cheap not once.

I beleive in paying for the skills of the professionals involved.

If I cannot drive a digger, I must pay someone to do this and agree a fair price for his work.....

That people complain about being 'ripped off' by tradesmen is a wonder to me.

Hi Soledad.

I think you made two very important points , in your informative post.

Nationality should not be an issue, and workers chosen on their abilities, refs and prices.

Enjoy your new nest Soledad ;)

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Thank you very much Kadman, we hope to move in within the next two weeks.

Advertisement