Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bird in the room..

Options
  • 15-06-2006 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭

I woke up yesterday morning to a little wren of some sort in my sitting room. He was after coming down the chimney and was obviously distressed. The blinds were down in the room so he was hiding in behind the tv in the corner. Anyway, I pulled up the blind and opened the window expecting him to find his way out of the room. He saw the window and made a dash for it and went SMACK! into the glass and fell back on to the table on his back with his wings spread out wide and his legs in the air. It was like a scene from a cartoon! I put a tea towel over him and scooped him up and brought hiim outside where I rested him on the towel and tried to figure out what to do. He was blinking but he wasn't moving. I was sure he must have broken his neck. So i decided to do the humane thing and put him out of his pain. I got a bat and came back out to him. He was still very still but he began to move his head a bit. And then, while trying to work up the courage to do the job, he flies off into the countryside like nothing had ever happened!! Jus thought I'd share that with yiz!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

rondeco wrote:
    I woke up yesterday morning to a little wren of some sort in my sitting room. He was after coming down the chimney and was obviously distressed. The blinds were down in the room so he was hiding in behind the tv in the corner. Anyway, I pulled up the blind and opened the window expecting him to find his way out of the room. He saw the window and made a dash for it and went SMACK! into the glass and fell back on to the table on his back with his wings spread out wide and his legs in the air. It was like a scene from a cartoon! I put a tea towel over him and scooped him up and brought hiim outside where I rested him on the towel and tried to figure out what to do. He was blinking but he wasn't moving. I was sure he must have broken his neck. So i decided to do the humane thing and put him out of his pain. I got a bat and came back out to him. He was still very still but he began to move his head a bit. And then, while trying to work up the courage to do the job, he flies off into the countryside like nothing had ever happened!! Jus thought I'd share that with yiz!

I think when they go like that,alive but not moving they are in shock.But its a happy ending so good stuff.
    Yesterday the cat came back with a little birdie in its mouth,fully alive and would let it go to fly then pounce on it.I tried to scare her off but she just picked it up and ran away from me.Eventually she dropped it and i went over too loook and it was just hanging on but fecked.So like you i went to get a bat to put its out of its misery because i couldnt see it suffer.On returning its body was still there but the cat had removed its head,the little b1tch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

padi89 wrote:
    I think when they go like that,alive but not moving they are in shock.But its a happy ending so good stuff.
    Yesterday the cat came back with a little birdie in its mouth,fully alive and would let it go to fly then pounce on it.I tried to scare her off but she just picked it up and ran away from me.Eventually she dropped it and i went over too loook and it was just hanging on but fecked.So like you i went to get a bat to put its out of its misery because i couldnt see it suffer.On returning its body was still there but the cat had removed its head,the little b1tch.
    Cats will be cats. My two cats eat anything that moves. And I mean anything: birds, squirrels, lizards, insects...sometimes when we get these cute little kittens, we fail to realize that most of them will grow into serious predators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Cats will be cats. My two cats eat anything that moves. And I mean anything: birds, squirrels, lizards, insects...sometimes when we get these cute little kittens, we fail to realize that most of them will grow into serious predators.

Oh its not the first time its still an irregular occurance though,she was a neighbours cat across from our house .They moved over a mile up the road,and i live in a huge housing area and she kept coming back to their place.So we took pity on her and started to feed her,she was extremly nervous at first but is now as happy as pie with us.You just look at a fat lazy cat and think...how did you catch a bird?,your too fat and lazy all day to even do anything.Look ,pickys....proof!

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/padi89/?action=view&current=DSC00243.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭eiretamicha

padi89 wrote:
    Oh its not the first time its still an irregular occurance though,she was a neighbours cat across from our house .They moved over a mile up the road,and i live in a huge housing area and she kept coming back to their place.So we took pity on her and started to feed her,she was extremly nervous at first but is now as happy as pie with us.You just look at a fat lazy cat and think...how did you catch a bird?,your too fat and lazy all day to even do anything.Look ,pickys....proof!

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f258/padi89/?action=view&current=DSC00243.jpg
    Wow! She is a fat kitty...but very pretty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Birds often go like that when in shock when you find a bird like that put them in a secure box in a dark area for a few hours or overnight usually they just need somewhere quiet to recover, if wings etc get broken most vets will treat wildlife for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

My cat caught a bird, and the bird did the "rigid" trick once I extracated it from the cat's mouth - I lifted the bird and put it on the garden wall - it didn't fly away, just sat there blinking. I went back into the house and watched it for 5 mins - still it didn't move, I thought it was hurt then or something (birds have weak hearts).

Finally I cottoned on to the idea of getting out of sight of the bird -as soon as I crouched down behind the setee, the bird just flew away.

Advertisement