Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Art History - How'd it go?

• 15-06-2006 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Newgrange came up.

Nothing more needs to be said.

:p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

I know I was so happy but I only wrote 3 pages for it.

I did the Gothic stained glass window question because Massicco or Da Vinci didn't come up. :( I only wrote two pages of complete crap that I made up.

Then I did the catalouge / Gallery question and had no idea what to write so I just went on about this ''catalouge'' that I ''read''. Made it all up and put two drawings of paintings in.

I'd say I passed. :) but I did leave at quarter to 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

section one and two made my day :D:D:D

But section three wrecked my head! All in all it was pretty good though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Ha! I loved Newgrange, I did 7 pages for it, took up most of my time though.

I didnt like the European section, but I did the one with Arnolfini and his Bride and symbolism even though I hadn't studied it but vaguely remembered it from class. (and last night I was gonna do it but i thought, NAH, its not gonna come up! Grr!)

I did the Gallery catalogue question aswell, bit confusing but grand stuff, did it in the last 15 minutes and I managed to work in a Carravagio picture and Monet one. :D

Now I have a lovely break until next Wednesday! Boom

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

Newgrange and Giotto......beautiful...

But qu 3 was ......ugh, I did logo one.....I drew Nike and Mikey D's logo and blabbed on and on....

Can anyone tell me the names of a few Gothic churches?

I had no idea and said Chartes in France :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Da vinci did come up my friend, in coded format ;)

i wrote on da vinci and got full near marks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I presume you did the 'portrait of a person' question. Hardest marked question on the whole paper, so I wouldn't be so presumptous if i were you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I r4p3d that exam :D so happy, seriously, the stupid smile on my face when I opened the paper freaked out my examiner.

Ah well what number was it

I just looked up my notes there and by an absolute complete fluke stained glass windows are associated with Chartres

I said Chartes but I hope that missing r goes unoticed

Funkstard wrote:
    I presume you did the 'portrait of a person' question. Hardest marked question on the whole paper, so I wouldn't be so presumptous if i were you

yes that would be it :D

it's not the hardest marked, it's one of the easiest. the hardest marked are the one's your given on the photo sheet - cuz u can easily bluff them.

the question i did can't be bluffed, you needed to know something, even it was all just common sense. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I was talking to my brother about this the other day (A1 in art) and, yes, it is the hardest marked question on the paper. The photo question gets either good or shít answers, so the marking isn't extra hard. The 'discuss one of the following' question allows people who have learnt off anything to try and cram their answer into it, so the standard of answer is higher, and couple that with the fact that examiners know people just puke up an answer into it, then you have the hardest marked question on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Was happy enuf wit da paper-did Newgange, Botticelli and The film Q.

Got 7 for 1, 3 1/2 - 4 for 2, An bout 9 for 3.

Anyone else do Gangs Of New York..it was like the question was made for it!!

Funkstard wrote:
    I was talking to my brother about this the other day (A1 in art) and, yes, it is the hardest marked question on the paper. The photo question gets either good or shít answers, so the marking isn't extra hard. The 'discuss one of the following' question allows people who have learnt off anything to try and cram their answer into it, so the standard of answer is higher, and couple that with the fact that examiners know people just puke up an answer into it, then you have the hardest marked question on the paper.

i get 5 marks for naming the work and artist :rolleyes: enough said. thats 10% for that entire question going for just naming a piece of work with 1 person in it.

they'll throw marks at me.

if i was bluffing, i'd go with the pictures given....it takes balls to bluff from your head ;) i'll be rewarded for taking the hard option. you're right, it's a hard question all right, but easily marked imo.

Se&#225 wrote: »
    our lady at chartes and how the rose windows were central focal points
    Once you mentioned that you're flying it's spelt Chartres though I made the same mistake
    I did the same questions as you

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Newgrange
    Impressionists Much more Manet discussed then Monet..
    Gallery.. O_o Catalogues? the ****? I just wrote about..catalogues every few seconds..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hey ppl.

Yeah, I was really hoping Newgrange would come up cos that's the only question I knew really really well.. And I opened the paper and there it was!! I think I may have scared the Superintendant cos I was sitting there smiling! I did the Impressionism question as well. And then in Section 3 I did Q20, the one about the visit to an art gallery. I'd say I did fairly OK. I got 62 in the Mock and more or less the same topics came up so.. How did everyone else go?

- J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 blah blah blah

haha there was a cheer in our room when the paper was opened. the guy sitting next to me said "Thank the LORD!!!" sounds kinda stupid now but we all burst out laughing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

I nearly cried when I saw the paper because we only had an essay prepared for each section. But managed to manipulate everything. The art gallery question sucked! But I managed to get everything in anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭captainzapp

cubism people! such an easy question! discuss one cubist painting... brilliant! obviously newgrange was piss easy but id say 95% of art students did that one too! apreciation was a joke. did the logo one and drew the logo from my riverrock water bottle and the durex logo from my lucky condom... oh it was laughable!!! and how i laughed....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I nearly cried when I saw the paper because we only had an essay prepared for each section. But managed to manipulate everything. The art gallery question sucked! But I managed to get everything in anyway :D

Jesus :confused: Your teacher musta sucked if you thought that exam was hard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭TiM_rEAPeR

I predicted the fudge out of that, obviously newgrange was coming up - wrote 6 pages, Impressionism :).Know a few kinda kicking themselves wishing they had relied more on insight and general predictions.

Question 3 was hysterical, I was forced to do the logo thingy and only had half an hour, draw 2 examples of good logos and explain - so me being the genius, why I just plum copied the state examination logo in the corner of the page and then I had my shoe on the desk and copied the Puma logo.
    p.s what do you have to actually refer to for the right anser, function, design, form? waffled it good anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 annettemc

I was happy with first two questions except for some **** sketches of goittos paintings. For question 3 I did the logo thing but i thought we had to design 2 logos - so annoyed cuz i kept thinking of nike and stuff and was like ****!
    ended up drawing some crappy sports company logo and 'blush' a cosmetics company...at least it was only half the question but I AM SOOOO ANNOYED and i cant stop thinking about it!
    :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Drynda

I did newgrange but bul****ted coz i never revised it(even tho i intended to!)
    The portrait one(da Vinci and last supper) and the film one.
    Thot it went ok but ill no in augest!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Kabuto

I thought it went well, everything I studyed came up. And as long as my practical was as strong as my teacher said it was, things are looking good for an A1 come August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Hmmm, yeah I have to say now, that gallery question was tough. It was the only one there that I could do really so I was a bit stuck. We had only done questions like that where you had to describe how the exhibition was laid out etc. and to describe 2 works you liked by the artist. I got an A on one of my essays so I thought I'd be ok.. Ah well, it's done now! Was anyone at the IMMA exhibition of Tony O' Malley's work btw? That's the one we were at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭xnightwishx

I answered on IMMA Juan Usle. I just kept waffling about how I found out *insert info* in the catalogue and it was great coz I wanted to know if his interpretations were the same as mine...I don't even know if they had catalogues at it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

just made up a gallery 4 that one! how much does each part of the question count 4 though? causse i did 3 pages on the gallery, ect. and a half page on characteristics of a catalogue.... there just wasnt much to say n i ran outa time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

i did newgrange and degas (painting with dance q)
    i did the first question on the appreciation section, with design in the home. got a good 6 pages on it, overall i was really really happy woth the paper! good way to end my leaving cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

that paper was pretty sexy! Did 6 pages on Newgrange! Nearly died when Mihelangelo didn't come up but I managed to fit Leonardo and Durer into the choice one. The exhibtion question was horrible! ARe they not meant to give a proper exhibition ques since the uproar a few years back? Did the film one anyway but still!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chairs

ah that was perfect. i got so lucky in this leaving cert, learning one thing and it always came up. newgrange was another hardy it seems with everyone banking on it. i also guessed impressionism so that was sweet.
    did the logo question too, the examiner was reading the times and it had an article with a big google logo on it so that was handy.drew coca cola logo from a bottle too :D all in all just what i wanted.

Advertisement