Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing my Hi Fi

• 15-06-2006 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hey guys, I'm new to boards, and i need to get some help on fixing my hifi system. it's the oldest thing i have in the house, a kind of late 80's to early 90's kind of stereo, i got it while in secondary school for one pound at a car boot sale, and even thought there are much better ones on the market these days, i couldnt think about getting rid of it, its the most versatile thing i have owned.

Anyways, enough nostalgia!

It's a Philips AS305 "Hi Fi Stereo Amplifier". When i bought it first of all, it worked perfect for me, but after a while the problems started, with power getting to it. After a little rattle, it was grand and would work with no problems. This was the root of the problem, but it progressed and got worse, with me needing to press the power button a few times to get it going. As most know, when you turn off an old stereo like that, you can hear the speakers losing power, much like an old TV. It would sometimes go when it was on, nothing major though because of it's age.
    When i moved up to college, it happened again, and someone (me) in a drunken state started to nudge (kick) it instead of getting up to fix it properly. Now it wont work.

I think that it is a case of a loose connection somewhere in the system, when the room is quiet, you can hear the power going through it, but not completing a necessary circuit. I have a good knowledge of most domestic electronics, but only basic circuitry knowledge (resistance, capacitance, transformers, diodes and transistors). I can tell that the power is working, and i opened it to see about any loose wires/ wires that came loose but there is nothing obvious to be seen. While opened, it momentarily worked, but nothing more.

Any help or assistance is appreciated!
    Cheers, Howardsback

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

Moved to Home Entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

TBH that kick you gave it probably was the last nail in its coffin.
    My only thinking of what could be wrong is that there is a looseness in the fuse (if there is one, usually a glass type), or that there is some relay or transistor acting up.
    Your best bet is to bring it to a small electronics shop that offers repairs. There was one near me called ryan vision that repaired TV's and hi-fi's but I think he has moved.

Advertisement