Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classics.

Options
  • 15-06-2006 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

I know its not on until next Wendesday but I have no more exams until then so I'm starting revision tomorrow.

So anybody got predictions for the following topics?Or what essays are people learning for the following?(currently compiling my own list)

Plato's Republic.

Odysses/Aenied.

Alexander The Great.

Medea/Oedipus.

And what should the timing/page amount be like per essay in the exam.I only got 7 essays done in the pre,and was struggling all the way.

Finally,does anybody know exactly what came up last year?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Orizio wrote:
    I know its not on until next Wendesday but I have no more exams until then so I'm starting revision tomorrow.

So anybody got predictions for the following topics?Or what essays are people learning for the following?(currently compiling my own list)

Plato's Republic.

Odysses/Aenied.

Alexander The Great.

Medea/Oedipus.

And what should the timing/page amount be like per essay in the exam.I only got 7 essays done in the pre,and was struggling all the way.

Finally,does anybody know exactly what came up last year?

22 and 1/2 minutes for each essay although for the art and architecture ones you will save some time which you can use in the other essays.
    Try do essays in 20 minutes as practice, the past exam papers can be seen at http://www.examinations.ie you will see "exactly what came up last year" there.

This is my best subject, but I did crap in the mocks I was so annoyed, I got a C3, so bad!!
    But I got an B1 in my 5th year summer exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Is Classics kinda like History except it deals with more Greek/Roman stuff? Cos I really wanted study Greek and Roman history, and I would have taken History as a subject if it wasn't for all the Irish history on the course. Classics looks interesting though, my school doesn't do it can anyone summarise what its all about?

OctavarIan wrote:
    Is Classics kinda like History except it deals with more Greek/Roman stuff? Cos I really wanted study Greek and Roman history, and I would have taken History as a subject if it wasn't for all the Irish history on the course. Classics looks interesting though, my school doesn't do it can anyone summarise what its all about?

It isn't really, there is some history but also a lot of literature and drama and art aswell.
    The course is as follows:

History:
    -Athens at War
    -Alexander the Great
    -Life and Thought in the Late Roman Republic
    -Roman Historians

Literature:
    -Greek Drama-Medea,Oedipus Rex+Prometheus Bound
    -Ancient Epic (books)- Aeneid and Odyssey
    Writers of the Augustan Age

Art:
    Greek Art and Architecture-Pottery,Scultpure+Temples
    Roman Art and Architecture

Philosophy:
    Study of Socrates and Plato

Of course, each class wouldnt do ALL of this, my class did every thing in bold. I think its a really great subject because it is so broad, you learn such a variety of things, my favourite class defo! :D

Heres an exam paper:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2005/LC008ALPO00EV.pdf

And theres the pictures that go with it:
    http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2005/LC008ALPO04EV.pdf

Advertisement