Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs Serbia and Montenegro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

6-0! I'm out of breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

6-0
    great goal from tevez for 5-0
    good from messi for 6-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Fuppin awesome stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

three lions on a shirt! la la la.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Messi plays for 20 minutes, gets a goal and an assist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Showed the replay of the second goal again just there, doubt we'll see a better one in this World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yeah but were the Serbians any good?

Mike.

ps England knockers beware, the Argies were beaten 2-1 only a few months back. ;)

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

ps England knockers beware, the Argies were beaten 2-1 only a few months back. ;)
    they werent poor at any stage, argies movement just ripped them apart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

3-2;)
    The Serbs were poor but in fairness, you can't take anything away from Argentina.

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

serbians absolutely suckovic'd, the smartest player they had was kezman, he was smart enough to know what was coming :D

Don't forget, the Argies that played England is quite a different team to the one that is playing today.

Samuel and Zanetti were dropped after those sides, and their defense is now stronger imo.

--

The teams preforming are the teams with good depth and willing to use it

Argentina, Spain, and Italy have all preformed well, and its cause they have competition if you ask me

Necromomicon you're memory is better than mine! Argentina meet who next round?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Messi - A goal and 2 assists already. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

That game was absolute class. the best game ive seen in a number of world cups. The Argies looked incredible, the passing, movement and everything about them was just top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

What a game, Argentina play out a classic World Cup match with some classic goals, most of them pure quality, and brilliant. This game will join the annals of being one of the best matches.

Their team work was brilliant .... and individually they are top-class. Tevez, Messi, Requelme, Crespo ....

Argentina have revealed themselves, lets just hope they have not peaked too soon and will be able to continue it.

redspider

iregk wrote:
    That game was absolute class. the best game ive seen in a number of world cups. The Argies looked incredible, the passing, movement and everything about them was just top notch.

that perfomance answers liam bradys question yesterday about if the english players are overhyped

Why does it all seem to reflect on England? What about France, Germany, Portugal etc etc etc?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote:
    Necromomicon you're memory is better than mine! Argentina meet who next round?

Mexico (most likely 2nd), (Portugal are assumed to win that group and meet NL?)

Darn tutin, let's leave England out of this thread.

This is about Argentina's preformance, and it was magical, England are irrelvent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

el rabitos wrote:
    that perfomance answers liam bradys question yesterday about if the english players are overhyped

Absolutely. Have to say, that second goal was possibly the best goal i've seen in a world cup finals. I'm thinking even better than Maradonna's and Carlos Alberto's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

awesome Argentina, one of the best team team performances i have seen in ages

but you couldnt even imagine let alone see england play 90minutes like that.

Saviola was my man of match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

So Argentina played well then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

So Argentina played well then?

Hehe, that's a bit of an understatement. Definite favourites now unless Ronny and the Brazilians can get up off their arses and produce a performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Christ on a bike. That was the best performance I have ever seen in a world cup. Or pretty much anywhere for that matter. Cambiasso's goal was the best goal I've seen live, probably the best world cup goal ever.

Un-bloody-beliveable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mike65 wrote:
    Why does it all seem to reflect on England? What about France, Germany, Portugal etc etc etc?

Mike.
    Because before the tournament started England were second favourites to win. I think it's a fair point that he made.

@ PHB

Still think Hollnad will test the Argies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Only caught the 2nd half and was amazed how they attacked even when 3 up.Excellent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

PHB wrote:
    Darn tutin, let's leave England out of this thread.

This is about Argentina's preformance, and it was magical, England are irrelvent.

yeah FFS sometimes i feel we as a nation talk more about them then themselves

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Jesus lads that was some display. Every player works so well together and they are solid all over the pitch. The passing and movement is just brilliant and that second goal is up there with the best ever in a World Cup. Both Tevez and Messi looked pure quality when they came on with both getting a goal and an assist each. Even at the back Argentina looked solid and I was impressed with their goalkeeper who caught everything that came into the box.

Gotta be favourites now ahead of Brazil. That was just a pleasure to watch and a simply awesoe display of football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Any other year a performance like that from a team would have them as clear favourites to win the cup. I think football is at it's peak atm and surely the best ever player is one of the currently active players no matter what the nostalgically biased people think. If you look at every other sport (especially one's which performances can be accurately measured), the best ever player/athlete has come from the last decade. I don't see why it should be any different with football. Sorry Maradona. :)

arg 4-1
    braz 3-1
    paddypower
    arg were 7-1 before this game i think

Because before the tournament started England were second favourites to win. I think it's a fair point that he made.

No they were't. They had the second lowest odds, which is not related solely to being most likely to win.

If you asked most commentators, England wouldn't even have been in the top 3 favorites, infact nearly all of the BBC had them outside the top 3.
    @ PHB

Still think Hollnad will test the Argies?

Yeh I do. Argentina were magical, but I expect a good preformance from Holland here in this game coming up.

Holland vs. Argentina is gona be the best match of the tourney by that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

The amazing thing is, I could still see Brazil making a challenge to them, even if Argentina continue to play so well, with their pure individual skill. A few other teams could really up it as well to make this a real cracker of a tournament. Brazil in particular, however, will really have to improve their performance, as I expect them to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What an amazing show.. Very impressed with that performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

eirebhoy wrote:
    Any other year a performance like that from a team would have them as clear favourites to win the cup. I think football is at it's peak atm and surely the best ever player is one of the currently active players no matter what the nostalgically biased people think. If you look at every other sport (especially one's which performances can be accurately measured), the best ever player/athlete has come from the last decade. I don't see why it should be any different with football. Sorry Maradona. :)

100% agree, What a time to be alive :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Good performance, but S&M were awful in fairness.

If you look at every other sport (especially one's which performances can be accurately measured), the best ever player/athlete has come from the last decade.

What about baseball?

People have gotten lots fitter, but football isn't about fittness just, it's about genius, and Maradona was that genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

OMFG! 6-0!!

and i missed it!im absolutely raging.Thanks to Eirebhoy for posting the clips,though they dont really do the cambiasso goal any justice by the sound of things.

Great to hear Messi and Tevez doing so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

eirebhoy wrote:
    I think football is at it's peak atm and surely the best ever player is one of the currently active players no matter what the nostalgically biased people think.
    Didn't we have a Peter Crouch thread not so long ago? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I suppose Cambiasso's goal was 'ok'. ;)

It was a great match to watch not just for the goals but all the intelligent running and short passing thru midfield by the Argies. They literally rang rings around S&M. Saviola really stood out for me especially. They were already my adopted team for WC06 but I really hope they win it all now. It's the first team performance that has really blown my away so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

highlights of this match are going to be on RTE right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Eirebhoy so who is this player you are on about??

Peter Crouch of course. We had a poll and everything just to be sure.

Anam wrote:
    highlights of this match are going to be on RTE right now.

RTE showed 'that' goal again (including all 24passes). Sorry Carlos Alberto but I reckon it has to be the best ever at the world cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Just saw the goal again there (was watching the match live in work so wasn't paying full attention), what an amazing goal. Better than any long range effort. Argentina are looking intimidating, they were the team I expected to win the WC before the tournament, they're certainly looking like they could be the champions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

eirebhoy wrote:
    and surely the best ever player is one of the currently active players no matter what the nostalgically biased people think. If you look at every other sport (especially one's which performances can be accurately measured), the best ever player/athlete has come from the last decade. I don't see why it should be any different with football. Sorry Maradona. :)
    Hey Eirebhoy, do you really think this??

Maradona IMO (but to stop a fight Pele too :rolleyes: ) is the best player ever, by a long way, the only player that has come close in recent years is surely Zidane.
    Who around now could you compare with Maradona, Pele or Zidane. Obviously, Ronaldinho is up there, but he still has a way to go before he's up there with these guys....

I think he's trying to make the point that if there was some agreed-upon quantative method of measuring a footballer that many of todays players would outperform Maradona across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Ye I got that alright, and I'm sure with the advances in sports science and technology, many of the players are fitter, quicker, etc. now, but IMO things like reading a game, ball control, technique, etc. cannot be taught and noone around now compares to Maradona, maybe if you look at the flip side and make the field level, so imagine Maradona/Pele, etc. playing in this day and age, with all the latest training techniques, etc. and imagine what they'd be like compared to Henry/ Ronaldinho, etc.

Although, just writing that and I thought, you'd have to also look at it that they'd also be playing at a better general level, as in I agree that the average player now is better than the average player back then, and hence he might actually have a point, but still as the old saying goes, "you can only beat what's put in front of you" :)

Might as well link this. It's the entire sequence that led up to the goal for Cambiasso.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoL8Lr9LVM4&search=argentina%2024%20passes

• Advertisement
Advertisement