Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend a wireless router for use with Smart?

• 15-06-2006 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi,

I've ordered Smart, and Eircom are putting in my phone line next week.

I want to get myself a Wireless Router, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Possibly anyone who's already using wireless with Smart Telecom..

Thanks,

MIC.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

lynksys Wrt54G

if ur a linux buff
    wrt54GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

another vote for linksys here. If you browse the smart forum/support you'll find a page that describes how to put the smart modem into bridge mode and connect to router. CAn't find it at the mo myself, but I'll link it here if I can find it later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Would that be this one irlrobins?

http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=153

Big sticky at the top of the parent page ;)

/Pokes at the legends crown.... /:D

Taht would be the one! ;)
    and by "Can't find it" I meant "couldn't be arsed looking right now"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 oflynnd

Take std Smart package with free router. Set it up to work with your desktop. Buy a LinkSys WiFI (nearly half the price that Smart charge). Connect it to the Smart router and config security so that your laptop is the only recognised client and then like me you can sit out in your patio, with your glass of wine and surf the net to your hearts content (or until your laptops battery decides to call it a night).
    Good luck:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭wheatln2

I too am in the same situation, having made my order with Smart 10 days ago, hopefully awaiting my modem soon. I will be setting it up to run a wireless network for 4 laptops. Can anyone offer any thoughts on whether the connection will be able to stand 4 laptops?

Also, I am thinking this is what I need to do, anyone got any advice or considerations.

1) Get my modem!
    2) Set it up to work on one laptop.
    3) Update the modem to work in bridge mode as per the smart msg board's instructions. Connect this to wireless router.
    3) Buy either the Dell 2350 (have used it before) or the linksys wifi (anyone got anything bad to say about?).
    4) Connect router to one computer and configure the router to be secured and password protected.
    5) Have wireless laughs with 2 laptops running on network cables locally from the router and 2 wirelessly. They will rarely be on at the same time incidently.

Anyone see any potential issues or anything with this scenario? Thanks a lot.

Dell 2350: Just a Belkin in disguise?

Dell 2350: Just a Belkin in disguise?

Possibly. Its just I used it to set up a network before and had no problems. I do think the lynksys Wrt54G is the preference though at this stage...

wheatln2 wrote:
    Possibly. Its just I used it to set up a network before and had no problems. I do think the lynksys Wrt54G is the preference though at this stage...

By a long way. :)

By a long way. :)

http://reviews.cnet.com/Linksys_WRT54GS_Wireless_G_broadband_router/4852-3319_7-30825185-1.html?tag=nav

Just been reading through some of the crap over on the cnet review. Some people are saying they had major problems installing it once they decided to set it up securely. Anyone able to confirm whether this is just Americans being a bit retarded???

• Advertisement

I have a WRT54G. No problems setting it up what so ever. Best approach is to set it up with no security. Then enable WEP/WPA. Then MAC filtering. Then switching off SSID broadcast.

That way if there is a problem you can pinpoint the source. But in my experience it's easy as piss.

Think a few of these had firmware problems but that has been sorted me thinks.

As for stupid Americans... Do they exist? ;)

OK, thanks for the feedback guys, the responses were helpful. I will be back with any issues I'm sure!!

Advertisement