Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - watcha think?

• 15-06-2006 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Have Beta 2 installed for the last few days, visually it's almost as gorgeous as Imogen from Big Brother :)

It's a freakin' MONSTER though! :eek: , 12GB after install and a HUGE resource hog...it's gonna require some SERIOUS specs to run this to make it smooth, my performance rating is only 3 .....what the? :(

My X550 seems to struggle with 3D stuff, sluggish, but i like what i see thus far. Gonna pony up the €350 or whatever it costs to purchase a legit copy in 2007.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Looks well, dog slow... I get 3 too... Seen people with FX-60's n X1900 Xfire getting the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Unimpressed TBH. Im looking at the screen and wondering where all the resources are disapearing too! Going to throw it on a min spec computer and see what its like. running it on a P4 1.8 @ 2.8/512MB/76GB SCSI/ 128Mb 9800 Pro. OS X was prettier and less sluggish than this om the same machine and its nearly fricken 6 years old!

I think it looks even more daunting to a newbie TBH. Theres options all over the place, too much information.

The performance rating could be handy for end users if dealt with properly. Still gives my account admin privlidges by default though, even if I do have to click an extra dialog box :rolleyes:

I know its beta, but FFS its been in development since 2003 now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The performance rating could be handy for end users if dealt with properly.
    It would be even better if developers dealt with it properly, and you just know the majority won't. Most are still ignoring ideas introduced in Windows XP, let alone Vista...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

it's gonna require some SERIOUS specs to run this to make it smooth, my performance rating is only 3 .....what the? :(

Because at the time of Win XP's released, a average PC would have been about a 1.5GB with 256mb of RAM.

If WinXP had a performance rating tool, people would have complained that their 'amazingly' good PC is 'only' getting 3/5.

Since we're prolly gonna be using Vista for the next 5 years, 3/5 for todays PC's makes sense imo

As for performance I've found it runs about the same as XP (Exception of Control Panel which is strangely slow)

Apart from that, not a huge improvement by any means, but an improvement none the less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

On an i6000, I get a rating of 1 :)

Specs being a onboard GFX a centrino PM 1.6 and 1.5 gb Ram.

First thing I do notice was the massive space it took up after the install, probably to do with the HD video for the media center walkthrough. I havn't checked yet.

Next is to try it out on my gaming rig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I know its beta, but FFS its been in development since 2003 now!

Not a huge amount of time really. From what I understand, it's going to be a major overhaul. I wont be getting it under any circumstances. Windows free for about 1 month now. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Khannie wrote:
    Not a huge amount of time really. From what I understand, it's going to be a major overhaul. I wont be getting it under any circumstances. Windows free for about 1 month now. ;)

Fair play. As much as I love linux, for my day-to-day stuff I always end up gravitating to Windows\OS X.

Server will stay linux though, rock solid.

Advertisement