Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brambles

Options
  • 15-06-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I've got a bit of a problem with Brambles (Blackberry bushes) in my back garden. These bushes are growing behind my existing bushes and the branches look quite ugly. I've trimmed them back as best I can but some are just inaccessible. The brambles are growing between a bush and the wall and I cannot get in at the root/stem. They are also growing (to a lesser extent) elsewhere in the garden. These brambles grow very quickly and present a danger to my 2 year old daughter when she tries to retrieve balls from the bushes - so far no harm done, thankfully.

Has anybody any suggestions as to how I can kill off these brambles without harming the bushes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Try SBK -- Brushwood killer.

Keep it well away from the other plants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

The easiest way to control weeds where they are growing up throguh hedges and through other plants is to get some Roundup weedkiller and mix in equal parts with water. Take this paste and paint it onto the leaves of the bramble or elder or whatever you ar trying to kill. Roundup kills plants right to the root so will give you a safe effective kill.

Try to paint as many leaves as you kill for best results. This will take aroudn 21 days to work but is well worth it.

Spraying can be awkward and you may run the risk of killign your hedge.

Roundup is safe for kids and pets - allow 3 hours for drying.

All the best

Gareth Austin
    www.lifestylecentre.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Roundup is safe for kids and pets - allow 3 hours for drying.
    [/url]
    I wouldn't say any organophosphate herbicide is safe for use by anyone but definately not for kids!!
    http://www.chem-tox.com/pesticides/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

Have to agree with CJH, we have used Roundup in the past but the dogs had to be taken away for afternoon and not allowed in the garden until the following morning.

BTW that is not a "Slight" at Roundup it does exactly what they claim, last time I read the directions (a while back) they advised not allowing pets near the sprayed are and to use protective masks, gloves etc.

What I did in a similar situation was buy a long secutars (SP?) I mean long it's about 2 metres and was able to cut the brambles at the base and any high spots.

I think the tool is about €40.00 in a big store with letters real far apart in the alphabet for the name.

Regards,

Peter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gareth Austin

Roundup is bar far the safest over-the-counter weedkiller.

When Roundup has been absorbed it is more or less harmless, and rots down harmlessly in the soil. Allowing 3 hours for drying after spraying is ample.

Yes, I would agree, that all weedkillers are designed to kill but used correctly it is a superb chemical.

• Advertisement
Advertisement