Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with coding

Options
  • 15-06-2006 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭

I run a forum with a mysql database, and it seems to be constantly not able to support €, $ and many other signs. Just wanted to know if anybody knows how to resolve this issue?

My friend said I'm using the wrong charset?? Which one should I use, I'm currently using utf8_general_ci

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Do both your database and your page output engine agree on what charset you're saving as? If the database doesn't recognise the set, then its not going to save it properly. If the output routine doesn't identify the set properly, its going to send the wrong charset identifier to the browser which will render it incorrectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

Afaik it is recognizing it, but tbh I wouldnt no if it is or not!

Well, thats a problem in itself... How are you administering the database? Whats the site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Xylophonic

I could have phrased that better...

Either way, looking at your site, I see that your pages are not encoded utf8_general_ci, but rather ISO 8859-1. These character sets don't define symbols in exactly the same positions, so its not surprising there may be conflicts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement