Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soy Sauce.... Is it good or bad?

• 15-06-2006 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

I love the stuff. I eat it most days on everthing from stir-fry to rice to chips and even potatoes.

Healthwise, is soy sauce good or bad?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Well, it's quite high in salt. Used in moderation though, it shouldn't be too bad. I wouldn't be using it day in, day out on everything.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Have to say that i'm a big soy sauce fan myself. I love it when you get a bowl of prawn crackers in the Chinese and get to pour the good quality stuff on them.

Depending on what i'm eating, i'll use it or salt to flavour my meal, which at least means that i'm not doubling up on the salt content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

i'm fairly meh, on the whole soy sauce thing. I wouldn't dream of putting it on chips, doesn't have much of a place outside of asian cuisine.

Anyway, my one tip is, buy the naturally brewed ones. ie Kikkoman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My personal favourites are Golden mountain, Pearl river bridge and Kikkoman.
    Oh and the dark soya goes better with fried foods while the light one is better with steamed and boiled food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

By the way, does anyone know if anywhere that sells large bottles of it? My family go throught them tiny bottles like there is no tomorrow. At over €2 a pop, it aint funny. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wbailey wrote:
    By the way, does anyone know if anywhere that sells large bottles of it? My family go throught them tiny bottles like there is no tomorrow. At over €2 a pop, it aint funny. :)

try some of the asian food stores on georges street.

i'm sure they sell it by the barrel load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Any asian food store should sell 500ml, 750ml or larger bottles for about the same as what one of hte regular-sized ones will cost you in your local supermarket.

Having said that, I like the Kikkoman bottle so much I transfer my "bulk bought" soy into it :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

sharwoods i think are now doin a reduced salt soy sauce. handy coz i love the stuff but when i over do it the salt taste kills it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Got a 600ml bottle in an asian store on Moore Street for €1.50. Cant read a word it says on the bottle, but is very tasty nonetheless.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

soy sauce isn't extremely healthy bcause of the high salt content, however, i think it is better for you than actual salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Yep, I've found that recently I'm not even bothering to use salt at all though am using soy sauce a lot more, suppose it all the yummy suggestions others have posted here that helps !

I once knew a guy with no hair on his head at all, he didnt shave, but he took about 8 sachets of salt with every meal..I honestly wondered if the two were connected ..8 sachets!!..what must his dinners have tasted like!!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

love soy sauce, i put it on lots of stuff.

the chilli soy sauce is gorgeous. its lovely on boiled carrots.. mmm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Just remember that you're allowed 6g of salt a day or 2.4g of sodium. Soya sauce still has a fairly high salt content, so don't go too cracked with it.

Personally I love the Pearl Bridge brand that you get in the Asian markets and have both the light and the dark for cooking and eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

Dunnes Stores , Have the 750ml ( coul dbe 1l ) bottle of Pearl River for around 3 euro !
    wbailey wrote:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

dudara wrote:
    Just remember that you're allowed 6g of salt a day or 2.4g of sodium.

What? Allowed? Is rationing back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Drakol

Hmm - Being from a chinese family myself -

Soy sauce is probably Good for you compared to Salt, though I wouldn't eat tonnes of it - In Moderation ^__^
    It goes well with Rice Congee, and Other dishes that are cooked.

P.s. - Light Soy : Fish etc / Dark Soy : Heavier foods. - Their are also types of Sweet Soy, as well. Thick Soy, emm.. I think those are for Cooking, not putting onto stuff after it's cooked lol -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 wtnzq

Soy sauce is high nutritional value, containing as many as 17 types of amino acids, there are a variety of vitamin B and a certain amount of calcium communities, phosphorus, iron, but its higher salinity,salinity of soysauce is 18%-20%,there are about5 grams of salt in1 ml soy sauce , primarily to prevent the degeneration of soy sauce. therefore Hypertension, kidney disease, pregnancy edema, liver cirrhosis ascites, heart failure and other diseases, they should be more careful consumption, it will lead to worsening of the illness.

Advertisement