Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Album Ever!

Options
  • 15-06-2006 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭

What do you think is the best album ever?

Personally,i think David Grays first album "A Century Ends" is,with BellX1's first album "Neither am i" running it very close!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've got lots of albums I reckon are the best ever, none of my friends agree. I know I'm right, yet I'm not as understanding when someone else labels an album I don't particularly like or couldn't get into as the best ever (like you just did there!)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,931 ✭✭✭✭Basq

colm_mcm wrote:
    Personally,i think..
    Well.. asking the best album ever and personal favourite differ greatly!

Best album ever? Need to hear EVER album ever before i can make that decision.

Personal favourite of mine? Have loads but can't go a few weeks without listening to either Elliott Smith "XO" and Counting Crow's "August And Everything After" but my favourite albums change with moods and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Thats easy: Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Whipping Boy-Heartworm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Neil Young - On The Beach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

basquille wrote:
    Well.. asking the best album ever and personal favourite differ greatly!

I asked what you Thought was the best album ever and i said i thought David Gray's "A Century Ends" was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Weezer's Blue album and Pinkerton for me. Either one can claim top spot depending on my mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭jazoo

I have hundreds of best albums but cant go anywhere without / band on the run wings / the Joshua tree u2 / neil youngs harvest / my latest one is bruces seeger sessions but we could be here all night…………….

• Registered Users Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Boo-yah wrote:
    Weezer's Blue album and Pinkerton for me. Either one can claim top spot depending on my mood.

these two albums are the only two albums i can safely say i listen to every month since about 2000 when i really got into weezer (i did actually buy the albums closer to their release dates).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if I had to pick two... no, three... four albums I'd say deus - in a bar under the sea, leonard cohen - songs of leonard cohen, Tool - aenima and blind guardian - nightfall in middle earth

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

Bob Dylan - time out of mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 motormatic

marianne faithfull - broken english
    lydia lunch and rowland s. howard - shotgun wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Bob Dylan - time out of mind

Really? :confused:

Im huge Dylan fan and i dont think it's near his best album at all,your the first person i've ever heard say thats their favorite Dylan album let alone that its their favorite album of all time!!

I think Dylans best is Highway 61

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Oasis - Whats the Story (Morning Glory)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

gustavo wrote:
    Oasis - Whats the Story (Morning Glory)
    Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

iFight wrote:
    Easy

Can anyone narrow it down to one? Different moods, different challenges... here's mine at the moment....

5:14 Fluoxytine Seagull Alcohol John Nicotine - Malcolm Middleton
    Into the Woods - Malcolm Middleton
    The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    () - Sigur Ros
    Shot of Love - Bob Dylan

As you may have guessed - the mood is down :D at the moment!
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Radiohead - OK Computer
    Sufjan Stevens - Come On Feel the Illinois!
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magick

My favourite albums at present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

By favourite I guess I have to list my most consistently listened to over a period. In no order other than roughly as they came out / I got them/ or as they come to me as I list...;)

Nirvana Nevermind
    Pink Floyd Dark side...
    Samshing Pumpkins Siamese dream
    Stone Roses Second Coming
    Air Moon Safari
    Massive Attack Mezzanine
    Groove Armad Vertigo
    LCD Sound System
    Beatles Revolver

I know its a lot but they all seem to be on a constant cycle of listening over the last 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Metallica - Master of Puppets
    Pink Floyd - The Wall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Impossible question as I usually listen to music based on mood but I'm sure I could narrow it down to a shortlist of say, 100. In fact since I've got nothing better to do right now I may just do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peustace

U2 Achtung Baby - changed it completly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

a few of my favorites

stevie - songs in the key of life
    jeff buckley - grace
    prince - parade
    stevie wonder - full fillingnesses first finale
    mclaughlin, delucia, di meola - friday night in san francisco
    wes montgomery - willow weep for me
    beatles - abbey road
    bob dylan - blonde on blonde

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

There are thirteen original Beatles albums, so my top ten usually starts at number 14. Numbers 14 and 15 on my faves list (this week) would be Pink Floyd, Atom Heart Mother (bought in most media as the new technology demanded) and Wish You Were Here (thought I was satisfied with the cassette for years until last week when I realised I really wanted to hear it again. The cassette mangled so I bought the CD).

Perversely enough, Eminem's "Curtain Call" knocked me out when I first heard it (moving and dramatic) and got "most played" medal for that week (I know it was a 'best of' and shouldn't really be counted, but I don't have any of his others).

Two albums that made my top ten at one time or another share the distinction of me liking them by hearing them before I knew who they were. The first was Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Pleasure dome. The second, even more embarrassingly in a way, Robbie's Escapology.

This is the confession zone, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Blow Mr Hornsman - Various (Trojan)

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

1. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    2. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III
    3. Eels - Blinking Lights and Other Revelations
    4. The Strokes - Room on Fire
    5. REM - Monster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

kinaldo wrote:
    Impossible question as I usually listen to music based on mood but I'm sure I could narrow it down to a shortlist of say, 100. In fact since I've got nothing better to do right now I may just do that.

Ok I give up. It's way too difficult and far too much effort required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

For raw, angry intelligent music I'd say Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Silence by Glassjaw. For nostalgic and/or sentimental moods I'm partial to a bit of Smashing Pumpkins, probably Siamese Dream.

Two great all-rounders are The Artist In The Ambulance by Thrice, and Alexisonfire by Alexisonfire.

Probably What's The Story (Morning Glory) aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Cooee

Beatles: White Album
    Led Zep: IV
    Stone Roses: Stone Roses

Advertisement