Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Karma 1 - Ed Joyce 0 ?

• 15-06-2006 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Looks like a bad injury tonight for Ed in the Twenty20 game VS Sri Lanka...

Dislocation and possible fracture, game was delayed for the ambulance to come

on :(

Can't help but feel this is some kind of punishment for abandoning Ireland for

England,

But having said that I wish him the best of luck in recovery!

England bottled it in the end btw, failed to get 9 off the last over and lost by 2

runs,

Nice work SL and best of luck for the ODI series!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

just seen it on sky,looked nasty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yikes

He did not abandon Ireland btw.

England are the only Test team in Europe and i think it's fair that a player with his talent/skill should be ablt to try and demonstrate it at the highest level possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Ed has contributed hugely to Irish cricket and has not abandoned Ireland. He helped Ireland to qualify for the World Cup.

He has been living in England full time for the past 5 years and has been playing for Middlesex for seven years.

He is very different to the likes of Graeme Hick (born in Zimbabwe) or Kevin Peterson (born in South Africa). Ireland do not play test cricket and as RuggieBear said, in order to play at the highest level, Ed had to declair for England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

smarty wrote:
    Ed has contributed hugely to Irish cricket and has not abandoned Ireland. He helped Ireland to qualify for the World Cup.

He has been living in England full time for the past 5 years and has been playing for Middlesex for seven years.

He is very different to the likes of Graeme Hick (born in Zimbabwe) or Kevin Peterson (born in South Africa). Ireland do not play test cricket and as RuggieBear said, in order to play at the highest level, Ed had to declair for England.

Sure,

But if all our best players keep declaring for England than we never will have test status.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

To be a test team in the future, Ireland need to be professional.... I can't see Ireland becoming professional, the funding, venues and support is not, and sadly, will never be there.

When you see that New Zealand will only have 2 tests over the next 18 months, who the hell would we play in a test match arena, if the big countries are squeezing revenue, playing against each other so often, to the detrement of smaller nations? Are New Zealand going to be left on the shelf??

Which brings me back to Joyce. He made the right decision, if he wanted to make a proper living and career out of cricket. He had too much talent for an amatuer side, he proved his talent in country cricket, which logically meant, that if he wanted to improve further, he'd have no other option than to play for a test country.

• Advertisement

DMC wrote:
    To be a test team in the future, Ireland need to be professional.... I can't see Ireland becoming professional, the funding, venues and support is not, and sadly, will never be there.

When you see that New Zealand will only have 2 tests over the next 18 months, who the hell would we play in a test match arena, if the big countries are squeezing revenue, playing against each other so often, to the detrement of smaller nations? Are New Zealand going to be left on the shelf??

Which brings me back to Joyce. He made the right decision, if he wanted to make a proper living and career out of cricket. He had too much talent for an amatuer side, he proved his talent in country cricket, which logically meant, that if he wanted to improve further, he'd have no other option than to play for a test country.

Forgive my naivety,

But if Bangladesh were able to attain test status why not Ireland?

There are similarities between them, and surely we have equal funding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

cricket is huge there

RuggieBear wrote:
    cricket is huge there

Ah yes,

Never thought of it that way, i forget that not everyone in this country shares my enthusiasm for the game :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just to clear some matters up, I want Ireland to do well. Get to a level and compete. That’s why, I feel, that the level is the one day game.

Cricket will never be huge in this country. Once you've done GAA, soccer and rugby, most young kids will see cricket well down the pecking order. And once talented kids get nailed into playing one of the big five, they won't think of cricket, unless the club or school is strong.

Also, we've relied heavily on imports from overseas to bolster our national team. Doesn't say much from the indigenous supply.

You can see where Mark Butcher is coming from when he slagged off smaller nations competing in the World Cup, to some extent. Its good to try and expand the game internationally, but wouldn’t it be better to get it right first in the most recent nations allowed into the game??

Advertisement