Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Major pwnage about Filesharing

Options
  • 16-06-2006 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

As I'm a part of Roadrunners (record label of Trivium, Megadeth and so on) street team, we all get e-mails regulary from the person who runs the Street Team, recently, they put up files from Stone Sours new album, that was exclusive to the Roadrunner Site, someone leaked them heres the email everyone on the street team got. Most importantly, if you want to get to the point, just read the bolded part, it's a copy of the email that was sent to the guy who leaked the tracks

HEY Colum!,

(PLEEEEZE, DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL WITH AN EMAIL !!!
    Instead, go to http://www.roadrunnerrecords.co.uk/streetteam/
    ANY REPLIES TO THIS MESSAGE WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY DELETED
    (So do not waste your time))

IMPORTANT NOTICE- THE LOUNGE
    It has been brought to my attention that the 5 Stone Sour tracks that were
    loaded in the Street Team lounge for you last week have been leaked onto the
    internet. They are marked with the STREET TEAM watermark I mentioned in the
    task, and I have traced the culprit. This person has been sent the following
    email today. You should all read this. Should the lounge ever be reinstated
    (it is currently no longer in operation) this will happen to YOU if you leak
    music files. It is illegal to share files in this way, and so I will ALWAYS
    take appropriate action.

I also take it very personally when a teamer betrays the bands in this way- I
    know all of our bands personally, and consider a lot of them friends. They are
    folks just like you and me and all but 2 or 3 of our bands do not make mega
    bucks doing this ****. Selling their music is how they pay the bills. The less
    they sell, the less they have to live on. You may as well take food off their
    tables by taking their music and making it available for free, and as street
    teamers you are supposed to be here to help them not hinder them. I know MOST
    of you know this, but there was at least one f*cker on this team who didn’t and
    I am therefore sure there will be more. You have been warned. And if any of
    the good teamers here (which I know is most of you) suspect anyone else, you
    know where to find me. On to that email:

"...You were trusted, as a street teamer, to be someone who is here to help the
    bands you love. It would seem however that you were simply here to steal music,
    to gain kudos with other folks on the internet. Whilst I know a lot of people
    feel that music should be available to all, it is something that artists have to
    write, and record and convert into files/cds and it is the selling of this
    material that pays their bills. By uploading these tracks, you have taken
    something they have made without paying for it (just like walking into a shop
    and taking something) and even worse, by passing it on, you are encouraging
    others to do the same, are passing on stolen goods and discouraging someone else
    from buying it. You have done the opposite of what a Street Teamer is here to
    do- you have shafted the band. And I am willing to put money on the fact this
    is not the only band you have taken music from. In fact, I have taken the
    liberty of forwarding the details of your Download bootleg site to the record
    labels concerned, including those of Marilyn Manson and Metallica. And I have
    notified ********** of the abuse of their site for the distribution of illegal
    downloads.

As music is something that belongs to the artist and is theirs and only theirs
    to sell or give away (via their record label), it is protected by law, and the
    copying and distributing of music freely, without permission, on the internet or
    by any other means is ILLEGAL and you can be prosecuted. As such I have
    forwarded the screen grabs of your posts, and your personal details to our legal
    department, and you will be hearing from them shortly. I have also passed these
    details onto the B.P.I. (the UK record industry’s governing body) who last year
    prosecuted illegal filesharers resulting in fines of up to £200,000.

Kind Regards..."

Sami
    x

I must say, I laughed pretty hard about this, the guy who leaked the tracks must be pretty stupid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Numina wrote:
    You may as well take food off their
    tables by taking their music and making it available for free
    As music is something that belongs to the artist and is theirs and only theirs
    to sell or give away (via their record label)

While stealing is certainly wrong, their argument is totally misleading. Artists make the bulk of their earnings from gigging. Record labels pocket the vast majority of the cash from CD sales and they are, lets face it, middle men who are becoming less and less necessary in the age of the Internet. Music piracy is not the heinous crime they would have you believe it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

A number of these "Criminals" who got sent copys of the tracks if they like them will buy an album or go see the band when it plays live these are people who might not have done so otherwise.

Fileshareing has an increasing effect on Sales without it music sales would be down by far more due to other factors affecting the industry non piracy accociated.

Also Trivium are ****

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

1. Copyright infringment isn't stealing.

2. He mentioned something about a bootleg site (i assume he means live shows). While still illegal, is generally viewed benignly by artists.

BTW, never heard of Stone Sours, mind you I'm not much of a metal head.

Advertisement