Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My parents live in my crib

Options
  • 16-06-2006 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Im just wondering how many of you are still living with the old pair in college? Do you think its much of a drawback?

At first it was fine, and I agreed I should stay at home. It made sense: we live in Dundrum and I felt I already had all of the freedom I needed. Everyone says to stay where I am because of the free meals, no bills, tidy house thing, but now I think I might be missing out on the college experience.

Its not that I even drink so going on mad sessions isnt even an issue, but I cant have house parties because of the alcohol thing, and if I am going out the folks are all "what about your lectures... why cant you wait until friday" etc.Maybe this is a rant bitch moan item, cos I cant do much about it Im so broke right now:eek:, just wondering if anyone else has this problem or how you manage to get over it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ive done both this year. Spent half the year at home and the other half on my own and both had their advantages. Right now Im at home saving money. It was lonely on my own somtimes :( not much of a difference really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭JustCoz

Yeah i definitely think you miss out living at home. I don't think you get the full college experience. I live at home and I think I would have gotten to know way more people if I lived on campus, or away from home at all. Plus it's quite a commute from my house to UCD so it makes getting involved in activities harder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I also live in Dundrum with my parents. I might be moving out next year though. Well hopefully.
    My parents are cool about me going out on weekdays/not going to college etc. That's not a problem at all.

I have two reasons I wanna move out
    1) Boyfriend. Wink, wink. Although saying that, my parents are cool about me staying over at his. Would just be handier. More privacy and all that
    2) I really wanna feel like an adult, you can't get that at home IMO.

I also wanna live within shorter walking distance, somewhere like Roebuck Road. Will make me more likely to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If you're parents are moaning about you going out mid-week then you clearly lack a lot of freedom. Wouldn't mind moving out myself but its just not going to happen while I'm in college, it would financially kill me. Not to mention I can pretty much do what I want with regards my social life except have drinks in mine mid-week. Its grand even kipping at someone elses if I let them know via text. I think it helps that they know no matter what I'm doing socially I'll the work done anway.
    Still...mom is wrecking my head lately.

its very hard to have the aul "wink wink" when you live at home. That is the best part of moving out :D . Actually I think I might move out next semester again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You are sad, tbh. The title of your thread says it all - My parents live in my crib.

It should read "I live in my parents' crib". Grow up.

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote:
    You are sad, tbh. The title of your thread says it all - My parents live in my crib.

sigh, i new there would be one. Esel ,whoever you are. We care, we really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

esel wrote:

I think the OP was trying to be funny. It's lost on some people obviously.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,329 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Pythia wrote:
    I think the OP was trying to be funny. It's lost on some people obviously.
    :rolleyes:

Whooshed me, anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Another Dundrumer living at home:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I live at home... I'd like to be able to move out, but I just couldn't afford it... How much would it set ya back per week, if ya were to share accomodation in Dundrum for instance? I'd imagine more than I've got!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

DaveMcG wrote:
    I live at home... I'd like to be able to move out, but I just couldn't afford it... How much would it set ya back per week, if ya were to share accomodation in Dundrum for instance? I'd imagine more than I've got!

House swop!!

I think the OP was trying to be funny

Afraid so, I dont actually think I own my parents house*

*dont tell them that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Im living "at home" tho it feels more like my place more often than not. I live with me mom and me bro but my mom is only there 4 working days out of the week (she goes "home" at the weekends) and its perfect (shes gone for most of the summer). That said, i have my own level (the whole of the floor i live in is mine, even has its own entrance if i want. That said it is the basement :p ). Mom buys my food(mainly) for me as long as im willing to cook and chip in around the house everyweek, which is more than fair enough.

During the weekend my bro and i do as we want (bro is 17 but the wildest thing we've had in recent memory is a poker night) and it gives us a whole lot of freedom during the weekend. Parents are willing to "rent" a place for me and me bro next year when me mom moves to Offaly permanetly (plan is that we pay x amount depending on our income) so in fairness we have most of the benefits of living by ourselves with very few of the drawbacks.

We do as we like when we like (well i do, bro still in school so less for him i guess) and i must say im very very very lucky. That said i've never brought someone back during the week (ie when me moms there) as it would just be "weird". I would like me own place but at the same time i like the benefits for living at "home".

My own place wouldd be nice but the amount of work id have to do would be a seruous handicapper for me (im lazy, so shoot me ;) ). I have it very easy and im very thankful and happy and i realise how lucky i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I was living at home while an undergrad. Didn't mind it so much. Yes bit of loss of freedom and the "what were you doing falling in at 4am" thing, but all in all was grand. I get on with my parents and hey it's free!

Moved out (all the way to Glenomena) when I got my PhD. Enjoyed that, you have more fun because of living with a group of people of similiar age to. Plus I was an RA so got to know a load of people in the Res.

Had to move home last year when funding ended. And after being away for three years was tough to come back. But had no choice really. Now I get the daily "So are you nearly finished your thesis" question which annoys the hell out of me. But again, it's free, so don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

OP, Wouldn't stress about it too much. It's only temporary. You have your whole life to live where you want! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I live at home in Firhouse... *fun*
    As soon as I can afford it I'm moving out. It's a pain in the ass living at home. It's free though, and mammy cooks for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

To be honest I'd suck it up for the next few years and then move out. Cultivate a group of friends who don't mind you kipping on the carpet after a night out, and you'll be fine. Unless you have €500 a month to throw away, that is.

You could try moving out for the summer next year and see how it goes. It might be a bit late now, since the summer is practically half over.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i live at home and currently i've no plans at all to move out! mammy's cooking and the internet paid for are big plusses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

i moved out when i turned 18 and i've never been back (22 now). my parents live in deepest rural west cork so even if i went to ucc, living at home wouldn't be an option. it scares me to think of the amount of money we've spent on rent for me over the years, but what can you do...
    i've often wished my parents lived closer so i could move home, but at the same time i know that me and my ma would totally kill each other if i did. i get on 100% better with her when i'm not living at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

I live at home and it suits me just fine, i wouldn't want to live closer to UCD really cos all my friends/family/boyfriend are over here on the northside so it wouldn't make much sense. Anyway i get on great with my parents and lil brother, i think i'd miss them if i lived somewhere else.

Plus my boyfriend stays over all the time and i stay in his so no probs there.
    So i'd rather just keep the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

Are you in 1st year or what? You can always move out in 3rd year or something to get the best of both experiences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I live at home with the parents too - but living in Clonskeagh meant it just didnt make sense to move out while I was in UCD. I nearly did this year in DCU cos travelling was such a pain - but then just couldnt afford it and wasnt bothered taking out a €4000 loan for it when I didnt really need to move out. Its grand living at home, but my parents used to drive me mad when I was doing the undergrad - every single morning it was a case of "why arent you up yet, you do have a lecture now, you're missing your lecture again" ect ect. They've lightened up on that now since I got the degree, and have never minded me going out at the weekend or staying over at friends so I suppose its cool. It would be impossible to do if your parents didnt give you any freedom though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

Hmm i have none of these problems with being told/asked whats going on constantly. I can do what i want, when i want (as long as i do my share of housework).
    Having a floor to myself is greast since i can play music as loud as i want without it bothering anyone else :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

esel wrote:

Anymore of that sort of personal abuse will get you a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

I live at home and I really don't think I'm missing any of the college experience (bar the financial hardship, which I can do without).

I really only see my parents for a few hours on a saturday evening and all day sunday because during term I'm in bed when they go to work and they're in bed when I get in (I'm hardly ever home before 11 and they're cool about how many late nights I have to the point of worrying if I'm in early too often).
    The commute was a pain in the ass at first (about an hour) but you I got used to it very fast and now it's just 'something I have to do in the morning' like getting dressed and brushing my hair. And there are couches, carpets, spare beds (and the occassional not-spare bed) all over the southside to crash on (during the election I lived out of my locker for a week).
    The only restriction I have is not being able to bring boys home (though I'm sure they'd be fine whith it if I ever had such a thing as a steady boyfriend) and that's really only because my sister is ten, has the room next to mine, and it'd just be inappropriate.

Financially it just wouldn't make any sense to move out, in fact I think I'd definatly miss out on more by doing that. I have the rest of my life to worry about bills and rent ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'm at home as well, though I don't really mind. I couldn't afford to move out if I wanted to, and since i'm only half an hours cycle from UCD anyway it would be a bit pointless. Thankfully I don't get any of the 'why the hell aren't you up yet and doing work yet?' type of questions, even if its about 12.
    The free food is great though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

I live at home too and I don't have any problems tbh quite a significant percentage of people live at home while going to college.The free 'everything' when I'm home, its great but it is to be expected because they're our parents.However a few people might actually be paying to stay at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

There are pros and cons to both but I agree that you dont get the full college expereince If you live at home,and I dont get what any of the dubs here say,you dont.
    Im from Limerick so I lived in roebuck and belgorve and then with me mates in clonskeagh. Since I failed almost every year I was made move in with my bro last year,so sorta feels like Im living at home again.
    To be honest I love living with my brother co he makes me go to lectures cos otherwise I probably would never go in:o
    Saying that living away from my family made me come my own person,but I do come from quite a big overbearing family,so I wanted to have my own space.
    The romance/having boyriend thing doesnt bother me.There all terriied of my protective older brother so stay well away from my house anyway:)

Id say defo have one year of living away from home at college if you can afford it.It would be something you will never regret!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

panda100 wrote:
    There are pros and cons to both but I agree that you dont get the full college expereince If you live at home,and I dont get what any of the dubs here say,you dont.
    Im from Limerick so I lived in roebuck and belgorve and then with me mates in clonskeagh. Since I failed almost every year I was made move in with my bro last year,so sorta feels like Im living at home again.
    To be honest I love living with my brother co he makes me go to lectures cos otherwise I probably would never go in:o
    Saying that living away from my family made me come my own person,but I do come from quite a big overbearing family,so I wanted to have my own space.
    The romance/having boyriend thing doesnt bother me.There all terriied of my protective older brother so stay well away from my house anyway:)

Id say defo have one year of living away from home at college if you can afford it.It would be something you will never regret!
    How on earth did you afford to live away from home, panda? You just end up with a good job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

DaveMcG wrote:
    How on earth did you afford to live away from home, panda? You just end up with a good job?

I have no choice but to live away from home unless I commute from Limerick everyday:)
    My parents paid for me in first year in roebuck on campus.THere the cheapest room on campus so wasnt that much. Then I lived with five friends in clonskeagh in 2nd year in quite a cheap house so they paid for me again. During those two year I did promotions work and things like that to pay for clothes,nights out etc.Then I failed second year and lived in Belgrove and had to get a 6000 euro loan out to pay my way through college that year. Then I passed second year and was made move in with my bro and my parents paid for my room but I had to pay for living expenses etc so did nurses on call in which Im paid an alright wage.
    I have two years left in college and so will get a loan out.Im quite lucky cos I earn quite a lot in my first year as an intern so can afford to get out an all right loan and have reasonable hope of paying it back within two years of finsihing college (and if I live on bread,water,baked beans and sweet corn for my intern year :) )
    Since second year though I have been able to afford going on hols again though so am glad I did j1 and a bit of europe back then.Though hopefully Il get my loan so I can go to Australai by the end of the summer. But I dont mind working at home in Limerick during the summer cos I get my freedom away from my folks during the year!Actually its quite nice having food in the fridge and cupboards for once and not hiding from the tvlicence man...there are definaklty pros to living at home!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Even though I'm very happy at home living with my parents I do feel that I'm missing out on something by not living away from home. I get on great with them, they let me be free, they have no problems with me coming home at all hours but I feel that I'm looked after too well by them at times and that I probably need a growing up experience by living away from home. I have been thinking about living somewhere close to campus but in reality it will cost me around 3 grand for the year and that would equal most of the money I'll earn this summer... spending all that on rent, food, bills would absolutely kill me.

Nah, I think I'll stick with the easy/lazy option and stay at home with the folks! :)

Advertisement