Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My parents live in my crib

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

I lived at home in first year and vowed never to do it again. I was getting up at 6am to get in for 9am lectures and was wreaked all the time. I was just lucky that it was a pretty relaxed year academically. Have to say though that it was great craic getting the bus and having the money get drunk in a pub was great, as was getting home to a cooked dinner. I was also able to go to the States which was the best summer I've had.

That said moving out was a great decision. Despite the fact that I'm poor I love the freedom and independence I have away from home. Also home is in the middle of the country so I rely on lifts all the time but in Dublin I can travel as I like. It has also given me the time to get involved in stuff in college which in all honesty I couldn't do before.

So all in all I would say if you can move out, do. You learn to look after yourself and stand on your own two feet without your parents. To quote Friends, "The real world sucks, you'll love it!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Byrno wrote:

To quote Friends, "The real world sucks, you'll love it!"

That totally sums up my earlier rambling post:)
    Op if your even considering it-move out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Yup. Gotta say living away from home is fantastic.

I considered commuting in first year (from Wicklow, I could at a push) since my mammy was very apprehensive about sending off an ickle 17 year old to big bad dublin but in the end I just went for it and moved in with a gang of randomers and haven't really looked back. There are always downsides to living away from home too just as there are with living with your parents. There's obviously the financial burden, then there's also having random tiffs with the others you live with, dealing with the responsibility of paying bills on time and keeping a house clean and being competent enough to buy yourself a weeks shopping. The pros far outweigh the cons though. If at all possible try to get at least one year of college away from home. You'll learn a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Lived at home throughout my three years and I don't think I missed out on anything.

It all depends on the type of relationship you have with your parents. Mine gave me a lot of freedom as I had lived away in Australia for a year and had found my feet so to speak. So I didn't have any problems there.

If your parents are very strict on you while you are at home then maybe yes, you are missing out. However, if they aren't, then I don't think you are missing too much.

Unfortunately UCD events do seem to be geared more towards those living on-campus or in the direct area of UCD so maybe that will make you feel as though you are missing something. Personally I didn't.

I had a fair old commute from Balbriggan every morning but I didn't feel it was far enough to warrant moving out as I would just be wasting money.

Up to yourself really. If you feel you are missing out then you should move out and experience something new. If not, then save your money and stay at home for now. You'll be out on your own soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I moved out of parent's place (I don't even call it home anymore!) when I was 18, and I don't think that I could ever go back permanently. The freedom of living away from the disapproving, and often unjustified, stance of one's parents is just too alluring to relinquish. Living away from home needn't be too expensive if you have an ability to haggle and make sensible spending choices. I've managed to reduce my rent down to €60 per week, which is an absolute bargain for the centre of Donnybrook! And other weekly expenses rarely amount to more than €40. I was lucky to get a job this year that only required my services on Sundays, so I was able to cover my costs easily. Not to mention that the stress and expense of commuting is completely avoided, as well as the overpriced campus food. Best of all is the chance to partake fully in campus society and social life. Unless you live extremely close to Belfield and/or your family is cool the benefits of moving out far outweigh the cons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'm living at home, but since I live on Roebuck Road it wouldn't really make any sense moving out. Don't really have much of a problem as my girlfriend often stays over and my parents aren't really strict. Free stuff!

Advertisement