Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA Credit Card Rip-Off

Options
  • 16-06-2006 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you out there are, or ever have been in the same position as me. I got my MBNA Visa statement for this month and on the bottom was a very small interest charge. It was only a matter of cents but I knew it shouldn't have been there cuz I always pay my bills on time and there were no cash or cheque transactions last month. So, I rang them up and they tried to tell me it was a cash withdrawal fee. I told them that I didn't make a cash withdrawal last month. At the end of it all, they couldn't explain why it was there so they decided to refund it.

Now, what I'd like to know is, has this ever happened to you and if so, what have you done about it? Now, it really was only 20 cent or so but when you think about it, if they do that to all of their customers and 80% of them say "ah sure its only a few cent" or don't even notice it at all, then that's a lot of "money for nothin'" for the big shots! This is not right.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you have a VERY good case for the financial regulator , IFSRA.ie , as they introduced a complete phantom charge on your account.

Had you (say) withdrawn cash in Croatia it would not be clearcut at all because they would have an excuse based on exchange rates conversion to dollars first and yadda yadda bull**** but this seems to be phamtom billing or a phantom charge which is a BIG non non for any financial institution .

Go to the regulator and demand compensation from them for your time spent dealing with this phantom billing issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Same happened with my MBNA Visa. I rang them up, they didn't know why it was there, so I demanded the 36 cents of interest be refunded, which has been done. I'm going back over some of my previous statements to see if its also on them, as I am never late in paying so.

I reckon its just such a small amount that they hope people will just think , ah sure, its only a couple of cents. They're really ripping people off for this small amount... but when you multiply that by, for example, 100,000 customers?

:mad:

Everyone who notices this should ring them up and demand their money back.

Seanie.

(signing off before entering rant mode!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

They won't even give me a credit card - got my rejection in the post today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

ciaranfo wrote:
    They won't even give me a credit card - got my rejection in the post today :(

Consider yourself very lucky.

I had been making one online payments to my MBNA card account. But they didn't show up on my credit card statement. This went on for several months. Eventually they sent me a letter about non-payment. I re-checked my bank who said the payments have left them and gone to MBNA. Turns out that because I didn't have my card number as a reference they didn't get applied to it.

But they had my money in a suspense account. I requested several times to have the interest repayed on the basis that they actually had my money all the time but nothing happened and I gave up.

They actually are the most expensive card in my experience between their charges. Sharks I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 PapaDon'tPreach

Well, I think I've just made up my mind to switch card company, but not before I mention this to the Financial Regulator. And don't even get me started on that €15 "Late Fee" - total rip-off merchants!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well, I think I've just made up my mind to switch card company, but not before I mention this to the Financial Regulator. And don't even get me started on that €15 "Late Fee" - total rip-off merchants!
    I got hit with the late fee charge several years ago. I ony owed something like £9 (punts) and in my ignorance of credit cards at the time I decided to let it roll over to the next month thinking I would be charged about 20 P interest. The next staement arrived and i then owed something like £22 - a rip off. I rang them and in fairness they waived the charge as it was my "first offence".

TBH I have had the MBNA card for about 6 or 7 years and never had any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Consider yourself very lucky.

I had been making one online payments to my MBNA card account. But they didn't show up on my credit card statement. This went on for several months. Eventually they sent me a letter about non-payment. I re-checked my bank who said the payments have left them and gone to MBNA. Turns out that because I didn't have my card number as a reference they didn't get applied to it.

That's not MBNA's fault, it's YOUR fault and your banks fault. It's stated in the literature you get with your credit card that you have to give your c.c. number as reference when you pay the bill in that way.

Your bank should have known this too, so I suggest you complain to them!

Not defending MBNA, I think they're cr*p, they just aren't in the wrong in this case :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

I am also tired of MBNA from sending me junk mail to trying to flog me payment protection.

I used like the facilty that you could ring an 1800 number & check your balance. They did away with 1800 access from mobiles.

How do you change credit card companies without being double changed the government stamp duty?

Advertisement