Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site Critique

Options
  • 16-06-2006 9:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

Hey all I've nearly finished a web site for my friend can you have a look at it and give me some feedback..what I'm doing right/wrong and any other suggestions that you may have !

http://www.therogues.ie/testpage/index.html

Thanks in advance,

mada999

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Rather nice :) ... not exactly my cup of tea as websites go but it is nice

The page jumps a bit as you go from page to page I find it rather annoying ...

The Rogues logo should probably jump you back to the home page ... I usually assume logos will do that ..

The harpsicord ?? or whatever it is on the front page looks wrong in relation to the other images ... its too tall ... could you zoom a bit and make it wider ? so that all the 6 images of instruments are the same size ?

From a code point of view ... you're using <br />'s and tables ... which in this day and age is kinda a no no ...
    Also you're using the font tag ? ... you should investigate css

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

error9 wrote:
    From a code point of view ... you're using <br />'s and tables ... which in this day and age is kinda a no no ...
    Also you're using the font tag ? ... you should investigate css

I'll agree about the css - but you can still use tables or divs - it is a matter of preference and choice

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/tohellwithwcag2

Ph3n0m wrote:
    I'll agree about the css - but you can still use tables or divs - it is a matter of preference and choice

Hmm... I admit I use tables for some parts of websites sometimes but I try not to. (Yes data should be in tables)

Like everyone / practically everyone I used them HEAVILY when I started out ... but in the last few years developing more and more sites it just starts to make sense to use divs ... personal experience ... its way easier to update your site ... its makes for way cleaner code

It may make for cleaner code - but tables are still an accepted and valid way of coding pages.

Plus if you need to meet DDA compliance aslong as the code is correctly marked up (even with tables) it will still meet those criteria

You can still use tables for layout. (And not just a table—tables for layout, plural.)

*sighs* ... I guess it boils down to personal preference ... and we're no longer able to comment on peoples sites based on that ... still ... at least have your code validate :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

cheers so far lads!
    yeah I meant to get round to learning css a couple of years ago but I find I just dont have the time ! can you recommend any good css tutorial sites that you have found helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Bananna man

I use css for text styling and page styling but for the layout i stilll use tables. Ive tried doing layout with css and i ended up nearly pulling my hair out and seeing as you need work arounds for different browsers i though, why the hell try fix something that aint broke, so i stuck to tables.

A problem i have though is that dreaweaver mx put in divs automatically so i have a knid of mish mash between tables and divs which is probably a big no no.

Let the lambasting commence :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

Very nice site good work, the only thing I would say about it tho is that the header or logo seems to jumps around the site quite a bit.

I use mainly css I find it a lot easier it is good if you can picture in your head what exaclty is going to happen and in the long run helps for easier coding.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah the top log and the menu seem to hop around way too much...I'm going to try and give this css a go and seem if I can position them using absolute positioning (seen an example on w3schools - thanks ph3nom)...

Thanks all for your great comments...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

Np dont forget to give us a look when you have it done.

Advertisement