Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hearing protection, a naïve question

Options
  • 16-06-2006 9:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

In my club, when we're shooting firearms (pistols and rifles of .22 and upwards), we're, obviously, always wearing earmuffs or earplugs to protect our hearing from the loud noise.

However, I've never seen anyone wear hearing protection when shooting air pistol (actually, I've seen one person, who claims to have sensitive eardrums due to illness, and uses earmuffs and earplugs at the same time). Certainly, competition air pistols make noise, but it's not really loud (I can hear the pellet hit the target, for instance). And I'm talking about high-end stuff with the 200-bar bottle and everything, not cheap pistols that cannot hit the target twice even when fired from a vise :-).

On the other hand, in photos that have been posted here of people shooting air rifles, I've seen that they're wearing earplugs. What's it due to? Are air rifles louder than air pistols? Is it because a rifle is shot with the head next to the firing mechanism while a pistol is shot at arms length? Is it because the club policies mandate earplugs even when shooting air? Or is it that I saw .22 rifles but thought they were air rifles? :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Are air rifles louder than air pistols?
    Yes, by an order of magnitude or more. Especially the precompressed models. My Anschutz, especially in a confined space, will get your ears ringing fairly easily.

You ought to wear hearing protection with air pistols as well, to be honest. Hearing loss is a cumulative thing and even though a single shot may not seem loud, better safe than sorry, what did you say?

(BTW you can hear an air pistol pellet hear the target because it takes so long to get there :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Wear all the ear protection you can get when using any type of firearm. I was in the FCA before they started issuing any protection for rifle shooters. I was on the shooting team so I probably shot more than the average punter. As a result I have slightly impaired hearing in my right ear. When we fired the anti-tank weapons we were only given the little brown rubber ear plugs. You won't notice at first but you will as you get older coupled with natural decline of hearing.

Before anyone asks I didn't make a claim. I volunteered so the predictable outcome was down to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

Sparks wrote:
    (BTW you can hear an air pistol pellet hear the target because it takes so long to get there :D )
    Well, I meant it is not so loud I cannot hear anything afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

does anyone here wear ear protection when hunting, the reason i ask is because there is a big difference between standing in one spot and firing over and over and firing maybe 10 shots over the course of a day.

The ear muff type ones are quite large aswell and not ideal for trekking over fields and through ditches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Vegeta wrote:
    does anyone here wear ear protection when hunting, the reason i ask is because there is a big difference between standing in one spot and firing over and over and firing maybe 10 shots over the course of a day.

The ear muff type ones are quite large aswell and not ideal for trekking over fields and through ditches!

Depends. If I'm after fox I won't as usually I'm only firing one or two shots. When I get set up for crows I'll use them.

John

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

WHAT DID YOU ALL SAY THERE????:D :D
    But seriously,when I am hunting no,for the very simple reason I need to hear whats around me,if an animal is approaching or not.[On an aside another reason to claim good reason for a silencer,health and saftey equipment for noise reduction.]
    Clays or pistol,yes,but I just use ear plugs.I have never found a pair of ear muffs that are comfortable to wear for a long period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Jacobo

But seriously,when I am hunting no,for the very simple reason I need to hear whats around me,
    Ah, but can you hear anything at all amidst all the ringing in your ears? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Redstag

Jacobo wrote:
    Ah, but can you hear anything at all amidst all the ringing in your ears? ;-)

Jacobo, Surely you're aware of the sequence of events when shooting. Firstly you would hear whats around you, then see your prey, then fire, and then comes the ringing in the ears. You should be picking up your bag by the time the ringing stops...and then it starts all over again!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

I dont wear earmuffs when shooting i find that to the shooter the gun does sound excessivly loud but to someone standing beside its really loud generally i wont be firing that many rounds

if i was shooting clays i'd prob use them alright but i find the rifle doesnt make to much noise but if your standing beside the shooter theres a fair crack off it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Interestingly enough the air pistol shooters at one of my clubs wear ear plugs when shooting, not for protection but as a concentration aid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement