Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toughness of the US open

• 16-06-2006 9:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

Everyone is giving out about how difficult the rough is at the US open and the bunkers. In my opinion, professional golfers have it way too easy.

1. They have about 50-60 people who can look for their ball when it gets lost
    2. The greens are always in superb condition
    3. When it rains, they are called in and as a result they mainly play in good weather.
    4. The whole equipment-distance thing; massive 350yard drives

What does anyone else think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well I don't see the big issue with it, the conditions are the same for everyone, it is tough but that is what makes the US open that little bit differant, the challenge of getting par.
    The professionals should get better treatment as stated above as there is a lot riding on it but as long as same challenge for everyone then I think it's fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

i agree, did you hear them bitching about the "furrowed" bunkers at the memorial, what a bunch of wimps, they weren't furrowed they were raked!
    honest to god whats the game coming to when you don't get punished for going wild , missing the fairway isn't a worry and the bunkers are easy too.
    the main point that nicklaus had in raking the bunkers wasn't so they wouldn't get out, but to give them less control out of the bunkers, i have to say most of their greivances come from their shots being inaccurate.

[pun]fir[/pun] instance if any of us land under a tree lining the rough we'll have no shot, whereas a lot of courses they play nowadays the branches don't start until about 12 feet so the pros have an easier shot out.
    have to say after watching the action yesterday that i think the greens are very fair and there are a fair share of birdies out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Couldn't agree more - How can they complain when its teh same for everyone? It's just players looking for excuses and looking to defelct from their own poor play.

I was only thinking the very same thing yesterday about how lucky they are to have all that has been listed above - perfect greens, bunkers etc - they should try playing on some of the slightly 'rougher' courses you'll find on the greenfee circuit!

You often hear them say on TV that "its time to make Par a good score again" and I think that's a very true... I've gotten a little bored of watching the american golf these days - I used to be glued to the TV for every tournament - but all of the courses seem the same and all the pros hit Driver-L Wedge all day... The European Tour courses are far more interesting and they also have to deal with weather conditions as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Harrington got a 7 on the 18th in the third round today:( , otherwise wouldnt have been too shabby of a round. Four shots off going into tomorrows final round.

Advertisement