Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Play World of Warcraft for free" - trial

Options
  • 16-06-2006 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65519

All the best crack peddlers know that you must speculate to accumulate - offer the first hit for free and two weeks later they'll be begging for more and borrowing money off Carol Vorderman's loans company to pay for it.

Well, it's probably a business stratagem that Blizzard is familiar with, too - which would be why they're now offering European gamers the chance to try out World of Warcraft for free.

Sign up for the trial over at the WOW website, download the client and you'll get ten whole days of free access to the game. And a brand new addiction, most likely.

Just remember, kids - there's a monthly subscription fee of £8.99 to pay once the trial is up. You might think you won't get hooked, but so did Zammo.

So if you're not already playing, now looks like a good time to start ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Koneko reeling in the new blood :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Won't somebody think of the children!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

2.7 gig download :eek: and i hear thats for the totaly unpatched client you then have to download 1 years worth of patchs

**** that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

so how much is this a year in euro? is private server talk a no no here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

Yes it is, as is any other illegal activity stated by blizzard.

Welly ou can buy 6 months for 64.99 off the top of my head, so do the math :D

Btw, private servers are ****ing horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i see i see, well thats not too bad i guess, a yes private servers are crap...so i hear, but all the same i think they do give people a 'feel' for the game, the trial doesnt let you advance very far

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, but the trial isn't for hardened WoWers. Few people on a free trial would hit the level 20 cap in two weeks. :)

How in God's name do private servers work? Someone leaked Blizzard's server code?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Actually, I started out on a 10 day guest pass, and pretty much hit 20 within the 10 days... :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

koneko wrote:

So if you're not already playing, now looks like a good time to start ;)

I downloaded it and I would have started the trial but then it asked for credit card details:confused:

Its stupid really, the credit card details should come after the trial if you want to sign up for a full account..

I would have tried it, if i liked it i probably would have started buying 60 day time cards to continue..

seamus wrote:

How in God's name do private servers work? Someone leaked Blizzard's server code?

therea thing called wowemu or something and its a buggy version of the server, some skill/quests are still being tweaked. i'm not gonna discuss this more as i can see myself forking out in a week or so for the gave and dont want to make enemies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Back on topic, no private server talk in here.

so its one month free then 60euro for every two months after that roughly?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

According to the T's & C's you still have to purchase the full retail version at the end of the trial which is ~€30 on top of the ~€13 to be paid every month.

That sucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

so its one month free then 60euro for every two months after that roughly?
    Nope. It's one month free. Then €13 a month or else a 3 month plan that works out at €12 a month or a 6 month plan at €11 a month.

Slurms wrote:
    Nope. It's one month free. Then €13 a month or else a 3 month plan that works out at €12 a month or a 6 month plan at €11 a month.

ah thats much more reasonable. wheres best to pick it up on the cheap, i think i saw it for something like 50 euro in hmv, bit steep imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Play.com would be your best bet. Or you could look at CD-wow.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Slaanesh wrote:
    According to the T's & C's you still have to purchase the full retail version at the end of the trial which is ~€30 on top of the ~€13 to be paid every month.

That sucks.
    In fairness, you probably won't be playing anything else while WoW has a grip over you :p Considering I'm not planning on buying any more console games for a long time, I'd consider it good value for money. That's just me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Oh noes, €30 for a game. You're getting an entire month of it for free.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have bought and play the game. I just know that a mate of mine wouldn't be bothered buying it but I know he would pay the €13 a month if he could just continue on from his downloaded trial.

Oh noes, €30 for a game. You're getting an entire month of it for free.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Slaanesh wrote:

That sucks.

But you get the entire game when when you download the client. the only thing you miss is the 5 cds it comes on

There doesnt seem to be anything stopping users from downloading the client now, installing the game and then buying a time card to create an account on the official european website and then log in with that

or is there a special key(retail authentication key for example) that you receive with buying a retail copy that will only allow you to create an account, then after that free month you would have to use the manage an existing account to enter a newly bought time card

• Advertisement

Slaanesh wrote:
    I have bought and play the game. I just know that a mate of mine wouldn't be bothered buying it but I know he would pay the €13 a month if he could just continue on from his downloaded trial.

But you were saying that it sucks that you have to pay for the game after getting it free for a month? I don't really understand...

If you buy the game straight off you get a free month anyway, but you pay the €40 to the game shop for the discs. What Blizzard are doing is letting you play the game completly free of any charge for a month so you can see if its worth buying or not.

I don't really see what sucks about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

slade_x wrote:
    or is there a special key(retail authentication key for example) that you receive with buying a retail copy that will only allow you to create an account, then after that free month you would have to use the manage an existing account to enter a newly bought time card
    The trial keys work on the same principle as the ten-day pass (when you buy the game, you get a ten-day pass key to give to a mate). You can create an account with that key, but in order to continue on afterwards, you have to supply a full key - which you can only obtain by buying the game in full.

I was frustrated myself by the fact that I couldn't just buy a full key from Blizzard online - my brother already had the discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm thinking of getting WOW. I've currently been playing FFXI and it can be a real grind sometimes.

But i got a new iMAC today and am considering wow.

Is anyone here playing WOW on a iMAC with intel processors? I'm wondering what the performance is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The Mac users I know all seem happy enough with it. Then Blizzard are nice to them support wise usually. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

well one of my mates convinced me to buy it for £17.99 from play. I'll play it for a month and see do i prefer it to ffxi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It's 30 euro in Gamestop on henry street at the moment i think. Beats waiting for delivery

got it for 26 euro and free delivery on sedit.com just there, downloading trial now, see how it goes, anyone wanna reccommend a server?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Do you want PvP or PvE? Would you prefer a RP (roleplaying) server or a normal server?

:)

do what degree is each, like i like the rp element but i wouldnt mind battles with real players, do you get exp/loot? is p vp a constant hassle when questing?

• Advertisement

You don't get xp or loot from killing members of the opposite faction. Instead you get honour points from the kill, the amount of points varies by how higher lvl and their pvp rank. The points you get are tallied up every Wednesday morning and your rank for that week is decided. As you move up the ranks more items are available for you to buy.

Advertisement