Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longboarding on the road

Options
  • 16-06-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭

Yesterday afternoon I was having a fine ole' time longboarding around the UL campus, as I like to do on sunny days. Normally I stick to the footpath or cycle lane but as there was none in this particular area, I skated on the road for a couple of hundred yards. As I did so, a car overtook me with only inches of clearance and I heard something like "...off the F**king road!..." being shouted from the open window.

This probably wasn't the most diplomatic thing to do, but I gave the guy the middle finger and made sure he could see it in his mirror. Of course he pulled in, got out of the car, and threatened to "break your f**king face". I told him to piss off and skated merrily off.

Now, as well as being a skater I am a motorist and a cyclist, I consider myself to be a responsible road user and am always wary of other people's safety. But it REALLY pisses me off that this wánker had the gall to shout abuse at me and threaten me with physical violence, on non-public road in a campus with a 30km/h speed limit where I skate almost every day, never ever before having been hassled by motorists or campus security. Of course I'm aware that motorists are not used to encountering longboarders, but I'm perfectly capable of steering, braking and otherwise maintaining control of my board.

What are other people's opinions of this? I am correct here, right? Someone vindicate me, please! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Yes you are correct,I would of done the same.:D He was obviously on a power trip that day,and is probably on one everyday.This is (narrowmindland)Ireland afterall.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Exar Khun

I love the mellow grove of skating a longboard on a sunny day. That guy sounds like an ass. Hard charging hills at night on the otherhand motorists are well within their rights to shout and scream. I hate having the nearest break at least 3 hours away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭adiobam

Im getting a landyatcz evo for my bday

Advertisement