Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ramadan in Summer

• 16-06-2006 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I was just wondering whether Muslims can get a dispensation from ramadan where it falls in Summer in the Northern hemisphere?

What if you are above the Arctic Circle?

MM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

That's a very good question mountainyman.

I heard from a scholar that in a case where the day for fasting is very long that it's okay to use the timing from the nearest Islamic country or the timing of Mecca. It might feel a little weird to break one's fast whilse the sun is still up in the sky.

I still want to ask more about this to see if it works both ways as the days in winter can be quite short in some countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

the new mr have you ever celebrated ramadan on your own? it must be quite depressing as compared with muslim countries.
    also do children have to celebrate it (not infants but say 4 year olds).
    MM

Well, I've spent Ramadan almost alone when living in Ireland a couple of times. It's not the same obviously as being in an Islamic country with the atmosphere and everything but it's still nice since Ramadan is a golden opportunity for every Muslim to seek God's forgiveness and to try to get closer to their Creator.

Obviously, the celebration of the feast (Eid Al-Fitr) at the end of Ramadan is much better when you're with your family and in a Muslim country. Same goes for any celebration for any faith or a non-religious holiday I guess.
    also do children have to celebrate it (not infants but say 4 year olds).
    I assume you mean do children have to fast in Ramadan? Children don't have to fast until they reach the age of puberty and won't be held responsible by God for not fasting until they reach that age. Same goes for the 5 daily prayers (although children should be taught how to pray and try and do it regularly at a younger age). Still, kids often like to "join in" in the spirit of things and fast half the day or sometimes the full day if they can. You often hear a kid at the table at the time of breaking the fast say "I fasted the WHOOOOLE day today!" :)

I used to like to fast the whole day for a couple of years before reaching puberty. It's good training too in preperation for when it is a requirement.

Hope this answers your question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

Firstly, just to say this is a quite interesting forum and hopfully one that might encourage a bit of mutual understanding between Christiam and Muslim.

Now a small question on Ramadan. I understand that strict observence of the fast includes abstaining from food AND liquid. How does this work out in very hot climates? I mean surely going 12-14 hours without even a drop of water must leave one bordering on heat exhaustion or heatstroke? Especially if one is engaged in physical work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Qadri

In a country where you have a sunrise and sunset in 24 hours it is compulsary for muslims to fast in the month of Ramadan. So if its summer and the day is 10 hours or more long you will still need to fast.

In some places on earth there is 6 months day and 6 months night. For these places the scholars have agreed that Muslims living in these places can adopt the timetable of close country where there is sunrise and sunset in 24 hours.

And Allah knows best

• Advertisement

You're very welcome here Gobán Saor. I too hope that this forum goes towards improving mutual understanding between Muslims and all non-Muslims :) I pray to God that it's made easy.

Fasting does indeed require abstaining from all foods and liquids. The idea is to greater appreciate the situation that many of the unfortunate in the world are living in since you can't appreciate it until you really live it as well as to try and make a greater spirtual effort to move closer to God through striving to be more patient when hunger and thirst is more likely to make you irritable.

So, even in hot climates, it's a requirement. However, it should be pointed out that if someone has come to a point of danger during the fast due to a lack of food or water then they are required to break their fast and may then make it up later by fasting another day in its place.

Women who are menstruating are also not supposed to fast and, again, may make it up by fasting other days.

I happen to know of people who do hard labour in the sun during Ramadan. These people are usually so used to it that it's no bother to them but, as I said already, personal danger overrides the responsibility.

Also, recent studies have shown that the type of fasting done in Ramadan is actually extremely beneficial to the body when done correctly. Not being done correctly is when people fast all day and then go mad at sundown and eat large amounts of food (especially sweets) as if to be making up for lost time :) This is completely the wrong way to go about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's something to this fasting business. A lot of religions/philosophies approve it. Islam today is the most obvious, but both Christianity,Judaism, buddhism and Hinduism among others have the tradition, especially among the holy men/mystics. Jesus fasting for 40 days and nights in the desert springs readily to mind. Respect right there. You would want some constitution to do that and it wouldn't be advised(though I seem to remember smalll quantities of berries and roots in the mix).

I do it myself every so often(one or two days usually, take liquids though). It's surprisingly easy. Focuses and clears the mind nicely. I can see why the spritual do it. As you said it also gives you some idea of how those who have no choice but to go hungry feel. In our society most people have never actually been hungry. They experience a drop in sugar levels and think that's it. Real hunger is quite a different feeling. It wouldn't hurt for everyone to do it sometime, religious or not.

There's quite a lot of research that shows the only proven way to increase longevity is to reduce the calorie intake(heavily when compared to the modern western diet, which is fast becoming the world diet) while keeping the nutrient level high. This is difficult for most people, but other studies show that doing the odd fast has a similar benefit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Wibbs wrote:
    There's something to this fasting business. A lot of religions/philosophies approve it. Islam today is the most obvious, but both Christianity,Judaism, buddhism and Hinduism among others have the tradition, especially among the holy men/mystics. Jesus fasting for 40 days and nights in the desert springs readily to mind. Respect right there. You would want some constitution to do that and it wouldn't be advised(though I seem to remember smalll quantities of berries and roots in the mix).

I do it myself every so often(one or two days usually, take liquids though). It's surprisingly easy. Focuses and clears the mind nicely. I can see why the spritual do it. As you said it also gives you some idea of how those who have no choice but to go hungry feel. In our society most people have never actually been hungry. They experience a drop in sugar levels and think that's it. Real hunger is quite a different feeling. It wouldn't hurt for everyone to do it sometime, religious or not.

There's quite a lot of research that shows the only proven way to increase longevity is to reduce the calorie intake(heavily when compared to the modern western diet, which is fast becoming the world diet) while keeping the nutrient level high. This is difficult for most people, but other studies show that doing the odd fast has a similar benefit.

It's the same Lord of all these people whether they are Muslims, Christians, Jews or even atheists. Allah swt prescribed fasting long before He revealed the Qur'an. Prophet Davud as (David) used to fast 1 day and 1 not for the whole year. The best fasting one can perform (except for fasting the Ramadan) is the fasting of Davud as, however that is a difficult one.

Fasting is not for the holy men/mistics (BTW holy men don't exists nor they ever did, this so-called title or to say a meaningless patch is something somebody else attached to them), fasting is for everybody (unless a person is ill, or too old, etc.)

Fasting is not just physical thing, but also spiritual. One has to be careful not to use bad language, etc. so fasting is also spiritual, one has train oneself to be the best one can.

Thridly, it's a proven fact that when a person is fasting, body tries to get rid of the toxines which also means a physical cleansing of the body or a detox process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Gobán Saor

the_new_mr: Thank you for your detailed answer (and the kind words:) ) I take your point - though I find it hard to understand hoe one can physically go without water in the kind of heat we've had this last week or so - yet alone in much hotter climates.

Wibbs/babyvaoi: Agree re physical benefits of fasting but seriously doubt whether fasting from liquids would help "detox" the body. Would have thought copious drinks of water would flush out any toxins and help the liver/kidneys do their job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    the_new_mr: Thank you for your detailed answer (and the kind words:) ) I take your point - though I find it hard to understand hoe one can physically go without water in the kind of heat we've had this last week or so - yet alone in much hotter climates.

Wibbs/babyvaoi: Agree re physical benefits of fasting but seriously doubt whether fasting from liquids would help "detox" the body. Would have thought copious drinks of water would flush out any toxins and help the liver/kidneys do their job?

I myself have an inherited disease - polycystic kidney disease. I'm aware of this since I did my 1st test - I was only 18. Eventhough it's difficult without water, eating nothing and drinking nothing has a greater effect. Then again, if one is too ill, then they are excused from fasting for as long as they're ill.

I guess when you're fasting you need water more than oxygen :)

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear about your kidney problem brother. May God cure you from it or, if not possible, remove some of your sins through the hardship of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Gob&#225 wrote: »
    Firstly, just to say this is a quite interesting forum and hopfully one that might encourage a bit of mutual understanding between Christiam and Muslim.

Now a small question on Ramadan. I understand that strict observence of the fast includes abstaining from food AND liquid. How does this work out in very hot climates? I mean surely going 12-14 hours without even a drop of water must leave one bordering on heat exhaustion or heatstroke? Especially if one is engaged in physical work?

I remember playing football in Singapore a few years ago. One of our players was a muslim and he refused to drink water either during or after the match. Considering the temperature was around 33 deg c. with 85% humidity, I was amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

If he was a Singapore national then that temperture is about average. :) Had a load of people from Singapore come over during a hot summer in Boston and they all had jumpers and jackets on as it was too cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hobbes wrote:
    If he was a Singapore national then that temperture is about average. :) Had a load of people from Singapore come over during a hot summer in Boston and they all had jumpers and jackets on as it was too cold.

He was from Morocco, so the temperature wouldn't have bothered him. The Singaporeans are well used to the heat. I had a many a battle with them in the office about the air conditioning.

Advertisement