Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Correct way to put up Dado rails.

Options
  • 16-06-2006 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭

I'm just in the process of decorating at home now, and have bought a shed load of dado rail for the hall/landing area. I thought this was put up with those really skinny nails that are almost invisible, but the dude in the hardware store said thats not the right way.

He gave us a tube of glue which he said is the correct way to apply the rail. Has anyone ever used this before? Do you have to stand there holding in place while the glue sets like superglue or does it stick much quicker?

I dont mind holding it in place, its just that for the whole hall & landing, it would take a bloody long time.

Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

He is right the glue is the best way . Make sure you get a small mitre block and cut the angkes goood and square.Clean the surface of the wall and apply a small amount along the back of the dado rail in a zig zag line mark out you height usually 3ft and apply hold in place with the help of some small panel pins although i prefer the small grab nails and wipe off any squealshed glue.When it is dry and secure use decorators caulk to fill the gaps only € 1.50 a tube in B&Q it can be wiped when applied with a damp cloth leaving a great finish and then paint .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭Archeron

Great advice, nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

How about removing these? I have some I want to get rid of. Is the glue a pain to get off? What's the best way of doing this? Will it result in taking chunks out of my wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I have used both small nails & glue. (No More nails)

Use the glue on the back, and put a small tack nail in every foot or so to hold it on but don't hammer it in all the way, so leaving the head exposed.

When the glue has gone off the next day, remove the nail and fill the tiny hole with wood filler.

To get the correct finish at the top of the stairs to the landing, stop the dado rail about 2" from the top, cutting the dado but not to the vertical. Finish it off with a horizontal piece to the rest of the landing dado.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

another way would be to put 2 by 1 batten underneath where you are putting the dado secure this with screws/rawl plugs as necessary and then use no more nails/gun o prene etc to fix the dado to the wall

the batten serves a couple of purposes gives you opportunity to set up correct levels screw one end in and then level it up at other end also prevents slippage on the dao rails when using get and also a second pair of hands

a little bit more work and some filling in to do when you remove battens but gives a good result especially when you onthave anyone to help

re: caulking: try and avoid the cheap b+q ones they dry to a very dull almost dirty white and will need a couple of coats of paints to cover

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

beolight wrote:
    re: caulking: try and avoid the cheap b+q ones they dry to a very dull almost dirty white and will need a couple of coats of paints to cover
    you can buy wood filler in small tubs that is available in a lot of finishes to match the wood you are using. I have used it for filling holes for dados, gaps between skirting boards etc.

I think it is made by Rawplug and is called plastic wood.

Advertisement