Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What road bike?

Options
  • 16-06-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi,

Don’t know anything about bikes but I’d like to get one for road use but not a racer type, They seem to be referred to as road/touring/commuting is this correct? I’m looking for something for occasional use, and for mounting a toddler seat on the back. I've looked through the previous posts and the only name I've come up with is Lapierre. What would you recommend? Can you also give me some clue as to how much I’d have to expect to spend for new or secondhand, remember it’s for occasional use so I don’t intend going for something that Lance Armstrong would be proud of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Battlejuice

Was asking myself the same question last year.
    Needed a speedy commuter bike that wasn't too 'tour-de-france' and ended up getting a Claude Butler Levante.
    Lots of couriers fly around on them so that was what helped my decision, plus the Levante is very fast and tough so potholes haven't managed to injure it yet.
    Been riding this type of bike for a year now and i'd highly recommend it.
    Did the Wicklow 200 on it too so it can almost compete with actual racers (was riding alongside a Lapierre incidentally).
    They retail at around 600 Euro which might sound a bit pricey but I guarantee it's worth every cent. Saved me heaps on transport costs anyway.
    Good luck in your purchase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Ridgeback do a lot of nice bikes that might suit. Haven't seen any in Cork but I presume there are stockists in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

AdrianR wrote:
    Hi,

Don’t know anything about bikes but I’d like to get one for road use but not a racer type, They seem to be referred to as road/touring/commuting is this correct? I’m looking for something for occasional use, and for mounting a toddler seat on the back. I've looked through the previous posts and the only name I've come up with is Lapierre. What would you recommend? Can you also give me some clue as to how much I’d have to expect to spend for new or secondhand, remember it’s for occasional use so I don’t intend going for something that Lance Armstrong would be proud of.

If I was you I'd look into getting a Trek 1000, its an ideal starter bike and reasonably priced, Giant also do some lower end road bikes (OCR 2,3,4) which will do the job but I'd definately go for the Trek. You need to make a desicion about how much your gonna pay cos the skys the limit with road bikes. Look into getting last years models, usually sold off a bit cheaper or even second hand if its not too shabby looking. Heres a link to the 1000 (thought they were cheaper but...)hope this is a bit of help http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=8840

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I'll give my recommendation to Specialized and their Sirrus range. I have the basic model with Sora rear gears, nothing fancy, but a lovely bike to ride and i'm sure would serve your purposes

On a slightly lower end of the scale they have a model called Crossroads

Google them and see what you think

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Thanks for all the replies. I had a look at the cycle superstore site mentioned, Is it the city bike category I should be looking at? I want something with wheels/tyres which will stand up to a bit of abuse. The touring bike section mentions that they are racing bikes with straight handle bars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Aye, city bike sounds like the genre all right.

Although you can be sure that a touring bike will take the abuse that the city would throw at it, and puncture resistance will all be down to the tires you use and the pressure you ride them at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

beans wrote:
    I'll give my recommendation to Specialized and their Sirrus range.

Have to agree with Beans - I've a Specialized Sirrus Sport (retails about €700) but there are cheaper models. It's a tough bike, not too heavy, with an excellent frame geometry that can handle crappy road surfaces. Even with straigh bars, you can get up to some serious speeds as you increase your fitness. Cycleways in Parnell street are the dealers for this brand.

BTW, if buying seconhand, the older ones had sh1t wheels but I think they've changed them on the newer models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

AdrianR wrote:
    I want something with wheels/tyres which will stand up to a bit of abuse. The touring bike section mentions that they are racing bikes with straight handle bars.

City bike sounds right, if city bike means hybrid.
    If you want a more relaxed sitting up riding position you need a hybrid - upright riding position, flat bars, road bike size wheels but tougher than a road bike(probably). Thicker tyres than a road bike (probably), but thinner than a normal mountain bike and with gears more suited to commuting than off road. Not my area of expertees!

The Trek 1000 is the fiesta/micra/corsa of road bikes - an excellent starter road bike. Have one myself - I think the 06 is actually a tasty metallic orange.
    I wouldn't use it on a city commute though. Anything under 10 miles and involving bad roads or hopping up and down kerbs would be best accomplished on a mountain bike with slicks. (But my background is off road)

Ridgeback cyclone or similar would be my choice. Mountain bike wheels and slick tyres, but definitely more focussed on city than off road. Has a riding position closer to a road bike than hybrid, but with flat bars. Don't know if the gearing is aimed at on-road or off road or a compromise! (you will probably never use the "lightest" gears on a real mtb unless you have fair sized hills to travel up, and if you're whizzing along on the flat you may find you run out of "heavy" gears). Those Trek city bikes/hybrids on the site would be fine also.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Another vote here for the Ridgeback - particularly the Velocity. My gf and housemate both have them (from Cyclelogical). When you're buying the bike push for big discounts on locks/helmet/lights and get them all at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ek6dali

Hi,

as you mentioned you may go for a second-hand - I'm seelling my Lapierre here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054943329

• Advertisement
Advertisement