Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

El Tigre...

• 16-06-2006 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭

Just watching a repeat of yesterday's first round of the US Open...

I have to say - okay, I know he's won 10 majors and is easily the most devastating player of his era - but no matter how many times I watch him, I'll never understand why Tiger has to swing so damn hard at the ball?? :confused:

When he's on of course, he hits it a country mile but when he's out of sync (as he is here) why doesn't he reel it in a bit?

But then again, what do I know??? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭DIEGO WORST

why do weekend hackers try to whack the beJaysus out of a driver down a tight fairway with loads of trouble right and left, when an easy 3-Wood would suffice????

Many experts have commented on Tiger's aggressive swing tempo. While I think he would benefit from easing up a wee bit now - I think his body will give out at some stage, possibly before 40, if he continues swinging like a mad man. But he's the best player in the World, I'm not about to go tell him what to do, and how to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭mox54

I've heard/read somewhere that Tiger generates clubhead speed at impact of about 140mph - now that's v v v fast and God knows how he manages to do it because the average joe soap hits about 95-100mph on a good day and has a handicap of between 5-11 to show for it, I hit them like a sick puppy hence my crap handicap but he swings hard and fast - faster is further is his motto and it's working for him - he's a legend and superb to watch -

I couldn't agree more about taking out a 3 wood, also I use a Ping G5 and it's an awesome club but I choke down on the grip for better control and I get some (note some) very nice drives away and there mostly on the fairway (edges).:mad: :rolleyes:

www.golfswingpro.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

I think his body will give out at some stage, possibly before 40

I would have to agree with you here 100 % - he can't maintain that kind of impact on his body for a whole career, surely. He's a very fit, muscular man, no doubt about it - but the toll his high-tempo swing is taking on his body must be immense.

Ballesteros also had a long, loose, flamboyant swing (Woods is more textbook, yes) and his back gave out at 39... Hope the same doesn't happen to Tiger...

He's hacking it around here on Day 2 again but his imagination with his short game is marvelous to watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 doggy

why do weekend hackers try to whack the beJaysus out of a driver down a tight fairway with loads of trouble right and left, when an easy 3-Wood would suffice????

This is something that mystifies me. Now i've only been playing for about a year but it's incredible the amount of times i've been playing with someone who tries to blast a ball, scuffs it and consequently blames it on trying to "swing too hard". Every good shot i've hit has been with a relatively 'slow' swing and every time i try and force a shot i scuff it. So as far as i'm concerned i use the same swing for all clubs and i let the club face angle do the work. If i ever shoot below 90, then i'll start looking at trying to whack the bejaysus out of the ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I think his body will give out at some stage, possibly before 40

It already has, the inconsistency in his game is down to the complete lack of control of his swing. His driving, which used to be the most devastating part of his game, is now average at best. A true great can sustain a competitive career well into their 40's, only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

Come on MONTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭GreenHorn

Come on MONTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Nevermind Moany Hole - C'mon Padraig, Graeme and Darren!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

Dman_15 wrote:
    the inconsistency in his game is down to the complete lack of control of his swing.

I don't know how you can say this. If someone is swinging a golf club faster than they used to, their clubface has to be square at impact more often to hit the same amount of fairways. So if Tiger is hitting the ball 20-30 yards longer with the same clubface accuracy, he's obviously going to miss more fairways. I think if he was hitting the ball the same distance as he was back in '99/'00, he would be hitting more or less the same amount of fairways. If Tiger has a complete lack of control of his swing and is swinging at 130+ mph, he'd never hit a fairway!

I don't know how you can say this. If someone is swinging a golf club faster than they used to, their clubface has to be square at impact more often to hit the same amount of fairways. So if Tiger is hitting the ball 20-30 yards longer with the same clubface accuracy, he's obviously going to miss more fairways. I think if he was hitting the ball the same distance as he was back in '99/'00, he would be hitting more or less the same amount of fairways. If Tiger has a complete lack of control of his swing and is swinging at 130+ mph, he'd never hit a fairway!

His driving accuracy is 170th and above over the last few years. For 1999-2000 he was around 50th.

His driving length has always been top ten, usually second to daly or bubba The entire tour has got 30 odd yards longer over the same period, not just tiger, and its down to the equipment not the swings.

He started his carer with a driving accuracy of almost 70% and now its 55%.
    Thats how I can say it ;)

oh, btw hes only 5yds longer this year than in 97

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭johnny_rambo

So a guy who averages over 300 yards off the tee and hits more than half the fairways has a "complete lack of control of his swing"! :D

Advertisement