Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Turned Wrong Way

Options
  • 16-06-2006 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for some information please.

My gf is due her baby on Tuesday, mid wife thinks it may be turned the wrong way and was due to do a scan today which is delayed til Monday.

My gf is all upset with worry about going into labour òver the weekend. Apparently there are some exercises you can do to help the baby turn around and any info is appreciated.

p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

Hi all,
    Looking for some information please.
    My gf is due her baby on Tuesday, mid wife thinks it may be turned the wrong way and was due to do a scan today which is delayed til Monday.
    My gf is all upset with worry about going into labour òver the weekend. Apparently there are some exercises you can do to help the baby turn around and any info is appreciated.
    p

Hi there - try to keep your gf calm. It will do her no good to sit about worrying. While pregnant I recall reading pregnancy books that gave a small amount of information on the situation, so I've done a search and found this link for you. It is not the most up to date, but you get the general idea.

When I was having my second son I was told that he may be facing the wrong way too, but when I was scanned all was fine. It is not uncommon for a baby to do this, and most will go back to correct position by themselves.

Firstly, you said the mid-wife thought the baby might be facing the wrong way, so until the scan you don't actually know this. Secondly, as you will see by the link, there are methods that the medical staff can try to rotate your baby for you. C/section is the very last resort, and will only be performed if baby or mum are showing signs of exhaustion / distress etc.

The above is information that I've picked up from books and my experiences as a mom, not medical advice.

For now, try to take your gf's mind off it as much as you can.

Best of luck to the 3 of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Depends on what the midwife ment and if the due date is Tuesday and it is her first the baby may not infact come for another two weeks.
    Which is plenty of time for him/her to wriggle about and change position a few times.
    Babies have been knwo to summersault over in the womb a mere few hours before the start of labour.

It could be that the baby is not even in breach posistion ie is intending on trying to come into the world bum first, and even if the baby is it is not that uncommone and you can still be deliever normally.
    Babys who come out that way telling the world to kiss thier rear end as they come into it are called contray children.

It could be that instead of being in breach position that the baby is facing the other way up.
    Babies are usually born so that thier noses are pointed to wards the mother's bum and the back of thier head pushes past the pubic bone.
    Ocassionally they decied to come out the other way, nose towards the mother's pubic bone.
    My first did this and that type of a birth and child is refered to as a stargazer.
    All of these are well with in the normal range of giving birth.

Still it can be slight scarey when it is yourslef and your frist but the hospital will know what is best will be there for you all when labour finally does happen.

and if it is to a breahc birth and they think it will be too stressful they will do a c-section and that has been around for oh about 2000 years and they do know what they are at by this stage.

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/breechcl.html
    http://www.wearsthebaby.com/askce/cebreech.html
    http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

hope all is well. if the baby is breach chinese medicine is supposed to be very effective. Talk to Dave in Dan Tien www.dan-tien.com and he can help you out. I hope mine is not going to be breech - I was born breech, so I am kinda scared by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

my missus was going to have a breach birth and she used this chinese method and the baby turned. It really works

Advertisement