Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New or Old Drivers?

Options
  • 16-06-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short:

Friend of mine recently formatted and reinstalled windows XP office. His graphics card is some old Nvidia integrated piece of crap. What Im wondering is if its worth his while installing the newest heaviest most system hungry drivers or should he just go with an older less system hungry version?

His PC specs themselves arn't great, 1.7 processor, less than a gig of ram.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

U didn't say whet gpu he using! Could you be more specific?

I've had probs myself with the latest driver and had to opt for an older 1 (my card is only 1 year old). there are also tweaked drivers out there which sometimes work better than approved ones.
    http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=127&Itemid=41

Not every driver suits every similar system. its a trial and error thing. Check out driver forums for good advise on what other people think of the drivers You must make sure you clean out the old driver with a driver cleaning tool before you install the new 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I actually don't know exactly. I think it was a Geforce 2, but its integrated and pretty old.

I was mostly just checking that it wasn't a case of "No, the newest one is always better".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

It doesn't really make a whole lot of difference is the short answer, the GPU is probably he GF2-MX that came on some early nForce motherboards. Active development of the driver for those GPU's was stopped a long time ago.

Just use whatever is the current official driver on NVIDIA's site as of writing it's the 84.21, NVIDIA's drivers have never been "system hungry" to begin with.

If he does have some problem with an old game he is trying to play & the latest drivers then try an older driver but if he isnt doing anything with 3D in the first place just use whatever is current.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sorry, only saw the integrated bit now. (Tought it was a card)

Ya i'd say go wit that 84.21 like 8T8 says. its approved and wil prob give best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Ok cool, thanks. Its just that when I upgraded my Radeon drivers they were something of a system eating monster, and I have a 3.2...

• Advertisement
Advertisement