Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mmds Aerial

• 16-06-2006 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭

Hi I was wondering if anyone has modded a mmds aerial to use as a wireless antenna. If so what were the results??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

irishwan.ie

Am it worked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jayo2004

Ye i have registered there just waiting on it to be approved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

It is the right type of mmds antenna for modding, what size is the grid from side to side ( bit hard to judge from the pics / how long a link are you going for ?

The connector is an N-type (common enough) , so you will need a "pigtail" to go between your antenna and your device.

The mod is easy , slip out the black part and hold it in your hand then tap it along the seam , after a few fairly sharp taps you will hear it starting to open ( it will sound a bit more hollow ) , gently prise it apart and you will be looking at two L shaped brass parts soldered/crimped onto the coax.

What you need is two of the L shaped parts that are a bit longer, you could make them from thin copper it may be a bit easier to get if your in a city ( art / craft /modelling shops maybe )

If the coax is corroded go get a new good quality bit ( its RG-213) and a new connector

I had before/after photos on the old irishwan site , i'll try to dig them up later

Thanks Bushy the before and after pics would be great. Not sure of the size not at home at the minute but its around a foot and a half from side to side. The link is about 200-300 yards??

• Advertisement

It should work away fine without modding over such a short hop , but it may cause whatever is connected to it a tiny bit of distress ( antenna wouldn't be matched to gizmo etc ) but most stuff is very tolerant of hideous abuse radio wise.
    What units are you plugging into the antennas each end ?

was thinkin about gettin 2 Linksys WRT54Gs but i might want to expand the range in the future maybe 1/2 km to 1 km. I was plannin on setting up a few of my friends in the future (play games share broadband) but some are not in line of sight (not sure from roof top maybe they are). I seen a post on Irishwan http://www.irishwan.ie/forum/index.php?topic=247.0 and you advised on different gear from aerial.net. would I be better getting something like that?

The wrt54g's would work grand for the link you have in mind, but routerboard 112's are as cheap almost , and can take a second radio card in the future (which sounds like what you may be looking for soon) ...plus if you need to go to 11a at some stage , just change the antenna and away you go again, if you go for the wrt's you'll have to bin them too.
    Maybe a bit more planning/bit of climbing is needed before you buy anything , have a quick run around to the lads you may be connecting up in the future, have a good look around ,take a few notes maybe you may be able to relay stuff through one of their places.
    As far as antennas go , see if you can gather a couple more of those grids ( more importantly just the black plastic part ) , come back and i'll tell you the plan....b

Advertisement