Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor issue

Options
  • 16-06-2006 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Dunno if this is the right forum, mods feel free to move.....

Anyway, i hurt my leg and thus am out of work for about 5 months, so im claiming disability benefit. When on the disability benefit, the doctor has to sign a cert (MC2) every week to say you are still injured and eligible for payment.

Anyway, i was going to him week in week out for the last 2 months, and i didnt have to pay him because it says on the cert "the department will pay the doctor an agreed fee for the issue of this certificate" although I agreed to pay him for the first and last cert.

But, i am suing the company that caused me to have the accident and my solicitor send my docotr a letter asking for medical reports etc...

So when I went to see the doctor today he said this changes everything and now I have to start paying him week in week out for the cert (even though it says on the cert the department will pay for it). He said I will get all the fees back when the case is closed, but does that not mean he is getting paid twice (once off me and once off the Department of Health?)

I know I will have to pay for medical reports etc, but surley not for a disability cert? He is charging me 50euro and i only get 160 a week on the disability!!

So is trying to scam everyone?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Medicolegal cases usually change everything. I seem to recall a similar note in relation to hospital charges - if there is a belief that your hospital stay is goin to be claimed via a court case (or whatever) the hospital is entitled to charge you the full rates rather than the reduced rates.

It's something similar to this (UK link) http://www.opsi.gov.uk/sr/sr2002/20020052.htm

So you may need to investigate further but it is not necessarily a scam..

Advertisement