Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear Muffs (Split from Photos thread)

Options
  • 16-06-2006 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

johngalway how do you find those ear muffs. I was thinking of getting them are they good and how much did ya pay for em if you don't mind me asking

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Hi Vegeta,

I don't mind at all, I think I paid 119 Euro for them (can't remember exactly now but that's the figure springs to mind). You can't replace your hearing so buy the best you can't afford, it doesn't come back once gone. We fired 100 carts each at clays, I found them excellent, honestly. You can have a conversation normally and when you shoot it blocks out sounds above a certain level. I didn't use them for the few shots I fored with the 17 centrefire. Ears were ringing a while after that and I was kicking myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

johngalway wrote:
    Hi Vegeta,

I don't mind at all, I think I paid 119 Euro for them (can't remember exactly now but that's the figure springs to mind). You can't replace your hearing so buy the best you can't afford, it doesn't come back once gone. We fired 100 carts each at clays, I found them excellent, honestly. You can have a conversation normally and when you shoot it blocks out sounds above a certain level. I didn't use them for the few shots I fored with the 17 centrefire. Ears were ringing a while after that and I was kicking myself.

cool i think i will invest in a pair, there goes next weeks savings. I usually just wear the cheapy little ones that go into your ear but have been finding them crap lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Good on ya, let me know how you find them. Bet you won't be dissappointed at all :) Cheap things like those ear plugs are tempting alright, you know how the saying goes "buy it cheap, buy it twice!"

John

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

I've been looking into getting the electronic earmuffs myself and found these:
    http://www.smartreloader.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2602

i havent ordered them yet but at the price they seem like a bargain.Also think i saw some on ebay awhile back maybe worth a search.

de_shadow wrote:

i havent ordered them yet but at the price they seem like a bargain.Also think i saw some on ebay awhile back maybe worth a search.

they look like they could be exactly what i am looking for

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have Peltor Tatical 6 muffs. Very good and can be got off eaby easily and failry cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Ear muffs are all well and good lads but what about plugs, like doubling plugs with ear muffs.

Not ideal for hunting, id never do it anyway.

But if you were set up for crows, pigeons or clays essential!!!!

No point half ass!ng it!!!!!

Expensive yeah but whats your hearing worth to you, do really want to not be able to hear your kids, grandkids when your 80/90 years old????

We wear peltors+plugs on the ranges!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Would the noise cancelling earphones by bose work i wonder i mean if your paying 120 or so euro you could buy something that would give you quaility music as well but they arent going to allow you to talk as well i guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

Would the noise cancelling earphones by bose work i wonder i mean if your paying 120 or so euro you could buy something that would give you quaility music as well but they arent going to allow you to talk as well i guess
    Thumbs down on that idea. Impulse sounds are a different story not at all like the consistency of background noise. I would not want to be a test case. You only go deaf or get tinnitus once

I use http://www.pro-ears.com/law_militaryhearingprotection.htm#dimensionserieslaw
    Good NNR (better then the peltors) and they have a line in for an MP3 player:rolleyes:

Of course when ever I'm at the range I double up. With me shooting 500/1000 rounds of 9mm and .223 in a session and the guys next to me shooting .338 lapua with a muzzle brake, plugs and muffs are the only option.

There is a bone just in front of the ear that transmitts a lot of noise through bone conduction. ear muffs cover this and provide greater protection then just plugs.

Dont forget that if your wearing 30nrr muffs and 30nrr ear plugs the total protection you get is 33db not 60db!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Rew wrote:
    I have Peltor Tatical 6 muffs. Very good and can be got off eaby easily and failry cheap.

Have the same ones, am fairly happy with them too.

• Advertisement

de_shadow wrote:

bought those head phones and they are woth every penny, excellent at noise cancelling. Obviously as I only have them a short period of time i cannot speak about reliability but so far they get the thumbs up

Advertisement