Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC client setup, minimum spec

• 16-06-2006 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    got my media pc all set up, but it's in my office so I'm thinking of building a basic system to setup by my TV. I've lots of spare parts lying around, from Mobos (K6) to PS's so what I was thinking of is buying a card with TV out and hardware decoding (to take the strain off the aging processor). The way I see it, the new PC will be doing all the grunt work: streaming; storing files etc. and the client beside the TV will almost just be a dumb terminal.

Has anyone worked a solution like this before,
    Or does anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

spec really depends on what software you plan using and what features you expect.

MythTV is by fare the most networkable solution. Client wise 1.2Ghz CPU is okay, 1.6 better. For HD content, really you will need 2.8 or above. 256Mb RAM is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

spec really depends on what software you plan using and what features you expect.

currently using GB-PVR and quite happy to go with it.
    Features I expect would be
    • access my media library (music, video, photos)
    • setup recording on the main PC
    • possibly access the internet using main pc as gateway

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

i have everything running on gb-pvr on a 900 Mhz AMD thunderbird processor and motherboard i bought back in 2000. takes a few seconds for hte tv picture to come up when i select a channel, but i know at least some of that is down to the nvidia pure video decoder. i do have 756 megs og ram in it, sdram though it may be..

i have my doubts it will run HD though..:)

btw, i could not get mesiaportal running using the same pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

KAGY wrote:
    currently using GB-PVR and quite happy to go with it.
    Features I expect would be
    • access my media library (music, video, photos)
    • setup recording on the main PC
    • possibly access the internet using main pc as gateway

1ghz/256 no bother then. Depending on how much extra software\services you plan running in terms of AV\Spyware, firewall etc etc.

Have you networked GB-PVR before? Ive been meaning to try it but never got around to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

1ghz/256 no bother then. Depending on how much extra software\services you plan running in terms of AV\Spyware, firewall etc etc.
    Not much else, as I said, it will be almost a dummy terminal, no direct connections to the internet. My other pet project is setting up a Suse Linux server so I'm hoping that this will provide the protection this PC needs.
    Have you networked GB-PVR before? Ive been meaning to try it but never got around to it.
    No but I'll try it soon so I'll let you know

• Advertisement
Advertisement