Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

members of military become citizens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Winning Hand

However the military will in no way shape or form assist anyone in attaining residency, which one has to have in order to serve. Therefore what it essentially boils down to is green card holders who serve can apply for citizenship after 1yr afaik instead of the usual 4.

Incidentially, if you join the french foreign legion and you get injured in the line of duty you are automatically entitled to french citizenship. I believe it translates as 'french by spilling french blood'. I am sure other countries have similiar fast tracks to citizenships by serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

not so sure about that, mate of a friend of mine signed up at the time of the first gulf war spent a few month in kuwait twidleing his thumbs and went straight into the states with full citizenship. been there ever since.

its not surprising really, yanks cant get anyone to sign up now so the promise of citizenship is the perfect lure to people desperate enough to want it.

Its not the buy off you think it is. You need to have a green card to join the U.S military. They dont hand out greencards like chocolate. I think its a good idea. Why defend a country you are not a citizen of? Anyway, its only a fraction of the U.S' 1.4 million active duty personnel and another 860,000 in reserve and thats the current military number and not the number who have served since 2001.

@winning hand, you dont need to be injured to get French citizenship as a legionnaire. All you need to do is finish you're 5 years and then you can apply because of "Français par le sang versé" -French by spilled blood

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

bonkey wrote:
    Saw this line earlier, and only one thing went through my head...

It is a bit Heinleinian, isn't it?

However, I don't have a problem with it, for reasons set above. As it is, the demographic make-up of the Army is about on national levels, barring political and sexual leanings.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I agree with Manic Moran on this one, I mean if they want to join up let them. as long as nobody is forcing them to join, it's a personal choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

The Romans did the same thing, if you survived 25 years in the Roman Army you became a citizen of Rome regardless of where you came from so its hardly a new idea.

What sucks though is as a US soldier you can fight/kill/die for you country from the age of 18 but if/when you come home you can't get a beer until you're 21. Doesn't seem right does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

What sucks though is as a US soldier you can fight/kill/die for you country from the age of 18 but if/when you come home you can't get a beer until you're 21. Doesn't seem right does it?

More correctly, you can fight/kill/die for the US, regardless of whether its your country or not.

Advertisement