Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way of laying speaker Cable

Options
  • 16-06-2006 4:24pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

guys

Am down laying the timber flooring in the hoose. So I want to run speaker cable for the speaker, any advice on best way to do this?
    As in under the timber, under the skirting?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hey yop, good to see the project is progressing. If there will be a gop between the bottom of the drywall and the floor, stick the cable in there; the skirting will then cover no problem.

Unless your going for the flat cable to put under the floorboards I'd stick with it in the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I layed mine on the concrete before the solid timber floor was put on this.Its down now 3 years and no probs.The only prob putting it behind the skirting boards is what if you need to run the cable from one side of the fireplace to the other?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

You can also run it under coving, if you're putting any up.

I used flat cable under the wooden flooring. Mine is laid on battens, and it was easy just to skirt around that. A good ide is to have it come out into a neat junction box, and to run a second set of cables to the other side of the fireplace in case you change your room around.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

In the end yesters I went around the walls and cut a piece out of the bottom of the plasterboard behind the skirting and then installed the cable in this.!
    I think it works ok. Not ideal but sure it will have to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

I would have routed out a grove in the back of the skirting and placed the speaker cable in there! nice and neat and hidden as well!

How you getting on with laying the skirting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I ran mine under the skirting, in the expansion gap that goes around the floor.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Easier to do it in the plasterboard, the cable is heavy cable, about 6mm think, so will 3 runs of it it needed a decent gap.

Grand, have 1.5 rooms put in place. I got a full threaded screw which is giving a better grip, leaves it easier to fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

how are the gaps between the bottom of the skirting and the floor looking? are you scribing the skirting where it meets in the corners?

The da is looking after that project and it is looking damn good.

Advertisement