Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another Crysis tech demo.....looks nice :)

Options
  • 16-06-2006 5:09pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

There is a new Crysis video here

Looks very nice, with fully interactive/destructable envoirements :)

I dont think this has been posted before.......if it was, watch it again:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i don't think i've ever been more impressed by graphics like that more in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wow

though it may turn into farcry, ie first half great running around in jungles versus people but then the second half with mutant/aliens & ruin it

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I have never Farcry, I think im going to buy it now:)

Was there just one Farcry for PC? instincts was Xbox only wasnt it?

Anyway, Did you see him mowing down trees with the maching gun!!!! That was amazing :)

And that is all running on current gen DX9 hardware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

This is the first game that I've seen that makes me want to upgrade to be sure I can play it on full.

Any idea of release date yet?

conzymaher wrote:

And that is all running on current gen DX9 hardware :)

yeah but running dual cards to emulate dx10, and still getting a choppy framerate is scary. the min specs on the game are athlon64 3200+, and x800GTO...
    Ciaran500 wrote:
    Any idea of release date yet?

"when it's done" :D

q1 or 2 of next year i believe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

madrab wrote:
    wow

though it may turn into farcry, ie first half great running around in jungles versus people but then the second half with mutant/aliens & ruin it

They've previously stated that they won't follow the Far Cry path from open to on rails. Pretty much everyone agrees the free-roaming early levels were much better than the last few, and thankfully Crytek listened :).

Ps. Conzy.. Far Cry is brilliant and still looks pretty good even years after release. Well worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

looks absolutely stunning, but what's this lark about punching trees down?

Cremo wrote:
    looks absolutely stunning, but what's this lark about punching trees down?

:D

I think the whole incredible hulk mode thingy is a bit stupid tbh........

Myabe stealth mode and agility mode but no hulk mode....

Did you see him blow up the house!!!!!! that was so cool:)

You can download the video here (115mb)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Holy crap! That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

"I'm gonna blow them up a bit"

Yeah, just a tad :D

It's gonna require such a big upgrade that i might as well get a new rig. Unbelievable tech demo

• Advertisement

Allegadly the demo was running on a single X1900XT :)

So anyone with a decent system whould be able to run it :) im going to try and dig up the article...........

Here is a very good unofficial site claiming that minimum specs will be
    CPU: Athlon 64 3200+/Intel 5xx series
    Graphics: Nvidia 6600/X800GTO (SM 2.0)
    RAM: 768Mb/1Gb on Windows Vista
    HDD: 6GB
    Internet: 256k+
    Optical Drive : DVD
    Software: DX9.0c with Windows XP

It says that these are estimates based on what they have been told by game officials

And the recommended specs are
    CPU: Dual-core CPU (Athlon X2/Pentium D)
    Graphics: Nvidia 7800GTX/ATI X1800XT (SM 3.0) or DX10 equivalent
    RAM: 1.5Gb
    HDD: 6GB
    Internet: 512k+ (128k+ upstream)
    Optical Drive : DVD
    Software: DX10 with Windows Vista

This game may be my excuse to go Dual core:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

That looks mighty tasty. Is it just me or is the demo a bit laggy? Must be really high spec...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Holy flurking schnitt!

Whens this coming out?

So Glad wrote:
    That looks mighty tasty. Is it just me or is the demo a bit laggy? Must be really high spec...

i did a bit of web trolling and found that the graphics were handled by dual 7900GTX cards to emulate dx10. it needs uber power to get the dx10 effects, but it'll run on dx9 cards, but without all the pizzaz

i did a bit of web trolling and found that the graphics were handled by dual 7900GTX cards to emulate dx10. it needs uber power to get the dx10 effects, but it'll run on dx9 cards, but without all the pizzaz

Hmmmmmmm.... So how much eye candy are we going to loose?

It will probably be the best looking DX9 game to date, and all the interactivity should still be in the DX9 version, and HDR......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Looks pretty special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

There didn't seem to be much there regarding any advances in gameplay, it seemed to be all about the graphics. I mean he said the AI was better but half of the guys just seemed to be standing there or running around in circles. If i'd seen the opponents take up tactical positions instead of just running at you wishing to get mowed down. In fairness the ability to punch down trees would not make me get this game, and I certainly won't be upgrading to a DX10 system just to play this game. What exactly is the story for it? Are you just some commando going around blowing crap up?

P.S: Any word whether this will need a physx card?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭EWheelChair

Realtime weapon change?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Realtime weapon change?!
    Only if you have a DirectX10 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

L31mr0d wrote:
    There didn't seem to be much there regarding any advances in gameplay, it seemed to be all about the graphics. I mean he said the AI was better but half of the guys just seemed to be standing there or running around in circles. If i'd seen the opponents take up tactical positions instead of just running at you wishing to get mowed down. In fairness the ability to punch down trees would not make me get this game, and I certainly won't be upgrading to a DX10 system just to play this game. What exactly is the story for it? Are you just some commando going around blowing crap up?

P.S: Any word whether this will need a physx card?

Agree, the graphics are damn tasty, the physics are impressive, and the environment is very well made, but these things effect gameplay very little. The radar puts me off a bit too, whats the point watching you back if you just have to look at your radar and see everything in every direction (and the range on it seems to be huge, about 100m or more) and where their looking, totally defeats the need to be careful. The AI pretty much just ran to a certain range (about 20m) and fired constantly in open view, and they also seem to interact with the terrain badly, the guy at the back of the house was just running at a fence for about 4 or 5 seconds (you could see his gun clipping through it), granted things like this will probably be addressed before release, Halo games had better AI than that (and I dont even like Halo).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It does look mightly impressive alright. As for the physics question, no it won't support PhysX cards, the physics engine is all proprietary just like it was in CryTek 1.

Hrm, <3 those Recommend specs. I wonder are they the usual "recommended" specs you see on boxes or what. I reckon if you want to run it at full whack you're going to need one helluva system. :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It's listed on play - http://www.play.com/Games/PC/4-/1015469/-/Product.html?searchstring=crysis
    Story sounds like reasonable gaming fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Its very good looking but at the same time its hard to get that impressed over graphics on the PC anymore, since it is largely down to the 3D Card.

On a console I am genuinely impressed by coders who are squeezing the last drop out of the current gen consoles. God of War is a case in point, for a PS2 the graphics are amazing. I was blown away by parts, like Athens or the bit in the desert when you look down and see the Titan below you. Compare God of War with games from 2001 and you can see something really impressive

On the PC though I coders don't have time to squeeze the best out of a graphics card before it is replaced by another. In the last 3 years I've owned 2 graphics cards, and really the games that actually use it, and use it well are thin on the ground. Crysis might be very impressive but it is probably going to require everyone to upgrade to a high spec card (another €300). Spending €600 every 3 years on a graphics card is rather annoying as well.

So you wonder is it really impressive, or are they just doing the standard that the graphics card can do, rather than pushing it to the extreme or finding new ways to squeeze the last drop of power out of it. If they had managed to squeeze this onto a GeForce 4 card, that would be impressive! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hrm, thats not true unfortunately. The graphics that consoles are now producing are due to optimising the overall system architecture rather than any specific component. Developers are able to this because said architecture is fixed over the lifespan of the console. This is not true for PCs as people have different configurations and most importantly, the ability to upgrade them at any point.

Its not that PC developers are lazy that they simply incorporate newer features on boards rather than refining their code to work on existing systems, its just that they have the ability to do so much more at a hardware level that they give users the option to enable it. For instance, the Radeon 9800Pro can still run Half-Life 2 comfortably but someone with a higher end card can enjoy the benefits of something like HDR or higher levers of AA/Aniso which older cards either cannot support or cannot handle efficently.

Basically it boils down to what you find more impressive. Programmers who work on the same hardware and can squeeze the very most out of a fixed platform after a very long time or those programmers that can build engines that are highly scalable and can run on a variety of platforms. I'd be more inclined to go with the latter to be honest, mainly becuase they have far less time to worry about hardware progression / code optimisation and they can still manage to get the job done.

Crysis is of course an exception to the above rule. It is essentially a showcase for the next-gen hardware of Vista, DirectX 10 et all. Sure it will run on lesser DX9 based hardware but if you want to really get the best out of it then you need hardware that is capable of it.

Advertisement