Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Review:Tech Drawing Paper 2

Options
  • 16-06-2006 5:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

What did everyone think?....It went fairly well for me

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Q1: Didn't do, looked tricky
    Q2: Nice simple enough question
    Q3: Hadn;t covered this
    Q4: Simple enough
    Q5: Part b of this one took me a few minutes to figure out, twas fine though
    Q6: No problems here
    Q7: Very easy, think I did quite well

That's my A1 secured then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shark-69

I thought Q2 was a gift....gem of a question....Q5 likewise.......Q1 took me over an hour to complete....just used 2 points to draw each curve which is basically a freehand curve...it fitted in well though and looked perfect...I ****in hate traces...i used to understand them but not nemore...****ed up the traces and drew about 4 of them to make sure i got some marks outta dat Q6.....The trace went through p in plan did it?.........Q4 looked ok but i stopped halfway through it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Q.1 Made a few mistake (EM35)
    Q.2 Easy enuf took me a while to find out how do get surface E (EM45)
    Q.3 Very simple (EM45)
    Q.5 Made a balls of this question (EM20)

Shud get around a C, It was always going to be hard getting a good grade when I only had the subject once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

Q1. Was alright, just sketched the curve but got everything else right I think. EM:35-40
    Q2. Fine. (Thanks Raphael and eamoss for those helpful diagrams last night) EM:50
    Q5. Very easy. EM:50
    Q7. Flubbed it a bit I think.EM:25-30

That went great considering I was going in just to try and not bring down a B average from paper 1 but I think I actually did better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Q1 - Perfect as long as the examiner realises that due to time constraints I drew the curve freehand and worked backwards. I showed I know how to get the curve, and it looks like I got points and drew the curve through it. I shouldn't lose too many marks anyway

Q2 - Didn't do it, don't want to look at it unless I realise it was really easy & i should have done it!

Q5 - I think I got b) right, because from the results I got I got the strike, and I got the same strike again. If I was right, very easy question

Q6 - Think it's right. I knew where I was getting the curves from and my traces are right, so I should have gotten most of the marks here

Q7 - I think it's mostly right, but my cut for the circular bit (I'd love to see a road that shape) was absolutely huge and went off the page for most of it. I just went out in radii of 15mm because it was a cut and worked from there. Other people said they got different results, so I don't know what I did wrong. The rest of it seemed fairly alright.

Overall I should be getting a high mark, how high I don't really have a clue. Part of me doesn't think I'll get an A1/A2, but sure we'll see!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

2. Alright, E was weird but I figured it out
    4.My entrance was kinda messy with all the lines but I got it.
    5.This was the first time I found out strike isn't a line, it's a direction. That was weird but the question was easy enough.
    6.First time I had to get a plane director to go through a point that wasn't one of the lines but I'm pretty sure my method worked.
    7. I hate roads. I only did this because I had half an hour left, some of the guys in the class were doing a fifth question and I didn't want to have less done than them. The bottom right-hand bit. Something went wrong there (it was an embankement above the road but a cutting underneath. I just scribbled down a few lines and made it look like I knew what I was doing. That question has so many lines, I doubt the examiner will notice.

Funkstard wrote:
    I just went out in radii of 15mm because it was a cut and worked from there.
    The cuttings were 1:1.5, a distance of 15 would take you out 10m, the contours were spaced out in 5s.

oh so i was supposed to go out 7.5mm? Bollix anyway

Oh jesus I hope that doesn't mean I did everything wrong.....it can't...thats the way I've done them all year & gotten them right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Q2: Very easy except surface E whic i did get but used the wrong angle because i misrwad question. i used 40 deg instead of 55 deg. Em 40

Q4:Perfect .I think possibly a slight mistake in End View Em 45

Q5: A was grand. for b i new how to do it but yet again i misread the question and took strike to be 65 north of west instead of 65 west of north. However my method was fine. Em 45

Q6: My worst question. Only took 5 elements when really 10 were needed for accuracy. Got all curves but they were very rough. Got traces but possibly wrong. Em 35

Overall it was fine. dunno will i manage to pull a A but a B is a certainty. No big trick except Q5b.

whassupp2 wrote:
    Only took 5 elements when really 10 were needed for accuracy.
    I've never taken more than four (including today). You mean on one edge right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

I just cant believe how made such a balls of skew bore holes. It is prob the question I knew best in paper II but then my mind went blank and cudnt remember how do to do them. :eek:

Oh well what can I do now! :(

I've never taken more than four (including today). You mean on one edge right?

Yep on each edge. In order to get plent of points on the curved you need more and for accuraycy. i had to add in extra elements after

eamoss wrote:
    I just cant believe how made such a balls of skew bore holes. It is prob the question I knew best in paper II but then my mind went blank and cudnt remember how do to do them. :eek:

Oh well what can I do now! :(

That happened me in mocks. made sure it didnt happen today.

That's exactly what i did. Only had 3 on each side initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭sticky9cd

i thouth it was a very fair paper-Q7 was a bit of a shock to see first but worked out one of the easiest. think i got an A (hopefully)
    on Q5 i got for the strike - n-81* ne
    for dip - 36*
    thickness of stratum - 43m
    anyone got the same?
    what answers ye get for Q5 b?

I have absolutely no idea, i never measure those. Just put the arrows on.

lol-you do get marks though for indicating what it is and its angle-ohh well:D

Really? Because I've been getting 50/50 on those quesstions just putting in arrows to signify where each bit was.

Raphael wrote:
    Really? Because I've been getting 50/50 on those quesstions just putting in arrows to signify where each bit was.

look at the marking schemes for last few years-its not good enough to allow the examiner to assume where the "strike" is. it must be shown to show that you understand what it is.

In class we always just marked that we'd found the thickness, dip . . . etc. I put them in anyway to be safe. Same with the dihedral angle on paper 1 q1 and paper 2 q2. I'm just glad that this paper mentioned the strike was whatever NW. That was the only reason I went back to the part a and measured the angle of the strike. Until this afternoon, I was under the impression that the strike was a line, not an angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

sticky9cd wrote:
    look at the marking schemes for last few years-its not good enough to allow the examiner to assume where the "strike" is. it must be shown to show that you understand what it is.

All you need to do is indicate them with arrows and state DIP, STRIKE, and THICKNESS, no need for actual angles or actual thickness.

You don't even need to write it in, or at least my teacher never told me otherwise.

All I've ever done was put an S along the strike, indicate the dip, and draw a perpendicular line in the stratum and put T along it.

I always marked them in position. then at side of page write a note stating the actual details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

that was a really nice paper

q1 was a grand question nothing that hard really
    q2 was a handy roofs question considering what could have come up
    q5 was piss easy completely straight forward

was depending on high saddle roofs which didnt come up so made a crapp attempt at roads

overall between the papers

= 344 which gives me my A thats the highest marks i think i will get i would be hoping for a b1 and an a1 if i get a nice examiner

me:

= 339/400 = 84.75%

Thats why I'm not sur if I'll pull off an A but hopefully:confused:

Advertisement