Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to go about getting a kitten...

Options
  • 16-06-2006 6:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

Our last cat from a family of three died 2 years ago and we have been thinking lately of just how much we would love to have a cat around the house again. We've also had a dog for the last 5 years so we will need a kitten who can get used to Lucky. We've though about it a lot recently and have decided to go for it, however, when we got the three cats it was a very spur of the moment type thing as friends of ours had unexpected kittens and asked us to take one but after a month we had to take the other two as they were so amazing.

Regardless, I have no idea how to actually get a kitten if your friend/relative/etc. is not trying to pawn one off on you. Do they sell kittens in pet shops these days? I've contacted the North Dublin SPCA but they aren't sure when they'll have any kittens available. I've tried the websites mentioned in the sticky as well but haven't gotten very far. Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I'd love to come home with our new kitten tomorrow!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We had a similar experience when we got our two a few years ago. It seemed like before we'd made the decision to get them, every man and his dog were trying to foist their kittens on us, but that when we eventually were in a position to take them on, they seemed to have all vanished into thin air! Eventually we just asked everyone we knew to keep an eye out and let us know if they came across any, and eventually got them off the mother of one of my wife's work colleagues. Good luck with your search!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Ring up your vet and ask them about it. I'm sure they get litters brought to their attention all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

www.kittenadoption.ie

lots of pretty kitties when I was there on Saturday :)

if you rang Kitten Adoption today, can you please ring again - Jan had a message on her phone from a Robert but could not make out the phone number that was left

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Stick a notice up in shops and you should be inundated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭fabcat

My cousin in law has a few to give away in two weeks time when they'll be six weeks old, PM me and I can give her a shout for you if your still looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Is six weeks not a bit too young for them to be leaving their mother? I thought it was 8 weeks minimum, and 12 preferably?

I think it varies, but her vet said it was ok for 6 weeks. The kitten we have at the moment was 6 weeks old when we got her as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

She really should wait till they are 8 weeks minimum. Otherwise she is sending off kittens that are not properly weaned and will have underdeveloped immune systems. Id be rather surprised if at least one didnt die because of it.
    No vet should have told her 6 weeks is ok, it certainly is not.

b

• Advertisement

She really should wait till they are 8 weeks minimum.....
    No vet should have told her 6 weeks is ok, it certainly is not.

I certainly would not entrust the care of any of my pets to a vet who advised rehoming kittens at such an early age :mad: 8 weeks is the VERY MINIMUM age kittens should be rehomed at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

I have to agree with you Tabitharose...We were given a kitten who we were told by owner was 8 weeks, she was fine when we picked her up but when we brought her home and tried to feed her etc...she started vomiting and had bad diarrhea...We brought her to the vet who advised she was no more than 6 weeks and should not have been taken yet...He wanted to put her down as she was so so sick but I didnt want this, we brought her back to the mother for another 3 weeks and she was fine, without antibiotics or anything, much stronger and healthy! Shes now 6 months and a little lunatic!! I definately wouldn't recommend taking a kitten if he/she is only 6 weeks....

I'll let her know, we got our own kitten when she was 6 weeks old and she was on whiskas kitten food and she is running about crazily at 10 months now. I'll let her know though as I wouldn't want them to get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

Bob just to let you know I have 3 eight week old kittens.

Female - Grey and White
    Female - Tabby
    Male - Tabby

Where abouts are you based. I am in Dublin. The kittens will be health checked before leaving me. I do have pictures so if you want to PM me your email addy I will send them over to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CookieCat

Hi kitten adoption has kittens but I would ask for folks to go via the web site www.kittenadoption.ie instead of phoning Jan direct she is run off her feet.
    We were asked to go to a situation yesterday and went back this morning to remove 23 kittens form a property the story will feature on the web site. Add to that the 15 kittens removed from another situation last week (Their story is on www.kittenadoption.ie) Under the Hollywood kittens. And the daily calls looking for kittens to be taken in the numbers are large.
    Also folks do need to be patient each kitten has to be vet checked their habits and personlaity will be assessed and folks will recieve a complete health and personality profile with their kittens and 24/7 back up if needed.

Also if you can donate any food, blankets milk etc... for the kittens in our care please visit the web site.
    Claire X

Advertisement